Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Kindle Paperwhite now 5-7 weeks back order?

Amazon claims it's because of high demand, but I wonder if it isn't because they've gone back to the drawing board and are trying to fix the light issues.

Either way, 7 weeks puts us very close to Christmas.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I think it's purely because of the demand. I hope they take note of the fact that of all the new devices they launched this fall it is the e-ink device that has seen the most demand (at least initially). I fear that they plan to move towards tablets and abandon the e-ink devices in the future, yet it is clear that the demand is there for dedicated reading devices.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I think it could be a combination of the two; if they've slowed production for quality control purposes (which seems likely) then it would be pretty easy for demand to exceed supply.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I think it could be a combination of the two; if they've slowed production for quality control purposes (which seems likely) then it would be pretty easy for demand to exceed supply.
That would make sense. When did it become sold out before or after it was released?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The reason for the increasing backlog may be that folks with defective screens are NOT getting replacements anymore. They may be returning them for a credit and ordering brand now PW's and adding to a growing backlog.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I think it's purely because of the demand. I hope they take note of the fact that of all the new devices they launched this fall it is the e-ink device that has seen the most demand (at least initially). I fear that they plan to move towards tablets and abandon the e-ink devices in the future, yet it is clear that the demand is there for dedicated reading devices.
My thoughts exactly. I have an ipad, and it's great for on-line stuff, but i don't like to read books on it. I love the kindle - and I am nervous that the tablets will push ereaders into extinction. I've thought about gettting a spare, to take me in to old age. I guess the batteries would go eventually - i wonder if they would go on indefinitely, if just plugged in.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I think it something else other then demand. Amazon has never been this backlog with a Kindle. I don't see the Paperwhite as popular as the K3 when it came out. We all wanted Pearl. The Kindle Fire was super popular and it was always available. We haven't even hit the Holidays yet, something is up.. Amazon is cutting this one close.

My guess they are having trouble. Perhaps something with the manufacturer in China. We may never know though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
I placed an order for a PW on Oct. 21 for a Christmas gift. Projected delivery date was 11/21-11/29. Email this evening says delivery on 11/6.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's probably due to international sales.

Last year Amazon concentrated its resources on the U.S. market and skipped the international christmas sales.

The Kindle Touch was released in the U.K., Germany, France, Spain and Italy no sooner than april 2012... 6 month (!) after the U.S. release in november 2011.

The Kindle Paperwhite on the other hand is already up for preorder in those countries and will start shipping on november 22. Orders placed today are expected to ship on december 31 (or next year)...

======

Also Kobo seems to have similiar Problems.

They stated an international release of the Kobo Glo on october 1. The first patch of devices has arived this week (november) in germany and will probably be sold out by next week...
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
It's probably due to international sales.

Last year Amazon concentrated its resources on the U.S. market and skipped the international christmas sales.

The Kindle Touch was released in the U.K., Germany, France, Spain and Italy no sooner than april 2012... 6 month (!) after the U.S. release in november 2011.

The Kindle Paperwhite on the other hand is already up for preorder in those countries and will start shipping on november 22. Orders placed today are expected to ship on december 31 (or next year)...

======

Also Kobo seems to have similiar Problems.

They stated an international release of the Kobo Glo on october 1. The first patch of devices has arived this week (november) in germany and will probably be sold out by next week...
The paperwhite has already been released in the UK. We also got the kobo glo at the begining of October. For all my moaning when the PW didn't go up for pre-order at the same time as the US, it seems that we do well compared to our European cousins.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Amazon now states on their website that the PW will ship the week of December 17th.

I wonder how much the defective units have cut into their supply?
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
Amazon now states on their website that the PW will ship the week of December 17th.

I wonder how much the defective units have cut into their supply?
I m trying to determine when to reorder to lessen the likelihood of receiving yet another defective unit as I had 3 shipped to me with defective screens.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
I m trying to determine when to reorder to lessen the likelihood of receiving yet another defective unit as I had 3 shipped to me with defective screens.
I ordered one a few weeks ago as a gift and my shipping date is December 6-13. You can probably safely order one now to save your place in line and monitor reports of the devices which are sent out the beginning of December. If the reports are not good, you can always cancel your order.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think it something else other then demand. Amazon has never been this backlog with a Kindle. I don't see the Paperwhite as popular as the K3 when it came out. We all wanted Pearl. The Kindle Fire was super popular and it was always available. We haven't even hit the Holidays yet, something is up.. Amazon is cutting this one close.

My guess they are having trouble. Perhaps something with the manufacturer in China. We may never know though.
Need to give credit where credit is due. Amazon are very smart. It would not surprise me at all if Amazon pulled all current stock and have worked out the issue with the lighted screen - thus manufacturing a new batch. If going by forum reports and Amazon ratings then the return rate of a PW is huge, and it makes sense for Amazon to fix it now rather than keep losing out and selling an inferior product. Heck even Kobo who were behind Amazon's Kindle produced a better screen.

Knowing Amazon their date of 17th December will actually be around 10th. They usually over-estimate a date by about a week.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I checked to see if there were any at Best Buy locally, and there was not one store that had them available. Also, they could not be shipped.

I think maybe they pulled them.

edit: This thread actually gives me hope. I think it's worth getting in line for the December units, as Solicitous suggested.

Last edited by Michele; 11-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote