Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Navigation in ePub

I have read a number of ePub formats and I was wondering if the format supported navigation?

With .pdf, I can create a navigable index based on the headers in the word processing document.

Is there a way to do the same with .epub?
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yes, as long as the reader supports it.

You fill in the NCX navigation file (short example over at Wikipedia's ePub article), and depending on how your device/app interprets it, you can push a button and have a pop-up table of contents to scroll through, or flick from chapter to chapter, or have a sidebar with clickable links, or whatever.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I have read a number of ePub formats and I was wondering if the format supported navigation?

With .pdf, I can create a navigable index based on the headers in the word processing document.

Is there a way to do the same with .epub?
Yes, it is called the toc.ncx file and it behaves like the pdf and is normally created by header entires h1, h2, h3 etc. In addition there can be html style href entries in the document that can link to other places in the document just as in a browser html document. you can read about ePub in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, index., navigation