Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #46
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
When the first link states
"On the device is an app called NookColor Tools. Run it, and ensure that the checkbox for on-device install is checked"
Does that mean the box that states "allow non-market apps" must be checked?

Or do I have to go into settings?

Also another question in the NookColor tools...there are settings for Wireless....I've been having some issues with my wireless (only on my NC - cutting out) but not with any other device in the house....
Is there something I can change in there to prevent my NC from losing the wireless signal so often?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #47
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
When the first link states
"On the device is an app called NookColor Tools. Run it, and ensure that the checkbox for on-device install is checked"
Does that mean the box that states "allow non-market apps" must be checked?

Yes

Or do I have to go into settings?

Also another question in the NookColor tools...there are settings for Wireless....I've been having some issues with my wireless (only on my NC - cutting out) but not with any other device in the house....
Is there something I can change in there to prevent my NC from losing the wireless signal so often?
The 1.0.1 update is supposed to improve wireless. I don't have this update. I don't have any issues with WiFi, perhaps someone else will chime in.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #48
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

so I need to do the ADB thing so I can sideload (connect to USB) the OMC app? That's the only way to download the OMC app?

The wireless thing might be too many device on my wireless router, maybe......with the kids now using it almost all the time, seems my Nook gets booted.....before Xmas I wasn't having the issue....
Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #49
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If something isn't in Market then you must use ADB on your computer to install it, or enable on-device installation.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #50
The Joker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This needs to be done:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Enable...ice_installers

If you haven't done the ADB thing yet, you need to do this first:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB
OK....I've successfully downloaded ADB per the link above....

Now do I download the link below on my computer, and then somehow sideload it?
http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/androidEULA.aspx
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #51
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Now do I download the link below on my computer, and then somehow sideload it?
http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/androidEULA.aspx
Yes, put it on your storage card. As a side note, some apps don't work without a storage card. The assumption is that you have one in.

From the device, when you click on it, your file manager should install the file.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #52
The Joker
Addict

So anytime I want to sideload (not in the market) something, I have to put it on the microSD card via computer usb port, and then insert the card into my NC. And open it from the SD card from my NC?

Doesn't seem the same as using the ADE software to download things that were'nt from BN.....right

Sounds like I'll be needing another mircro SD card just for my nook
Old 12-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #53
SCION
Séduisant

You need to have an SD card in the device at all times. Not simply for installing. Some apps won't function without an SD card being available.

Yes, it's a different concept from Adobe Digital Editions.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #54
The Joker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You need to have an SD card in the device at all times. Not simply for installing. Some apps won't function without an SD card being available.
Does that include OMC not working without the SD card in it......right now I only have a 1GB card that is really for my phone, which I used to root....

I need to go and pick up a larger card......

Also, beside Astro, do I need anything else to get the OMC working (Dolphin??)
Old 12-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #55
SCION
Séduisant

You would have to try it. I don't know.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #56
The Joker
Addict

another question....

Regarding this statement
I am using Overdrive Media Console on my rooted Nook. First, after I downloaded it from the Market, I activated it (from my PC using Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit) with Adobe Digital Editions.

So I have to activate my OMC with ADE??....how do you do that?

I have 2 books that I've been waiting on at the library just become available, today is my last day to grab 1 of them....I'd like to do it the new way (without the usb) if possible
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #57
The Joker
Addict

OK was able to get a book out of the library, but it only seems to open using the overdrive software???
I thought I'd be able to open it like I've done for the ebooks I downloaded thru ADE and placed in my library.....I'm not seeing it in my library...?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #58
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
OK was able to get a book out of the library, but it only seems to open using the overdrive software???
I thought I'd be able to open it like I've done for the ebooks I downloaded thru ADE and placed in my library.....I'm not seeing it in my library...?
No, it doesn't work like that. If you want it in your "Library" you need to download it on your computer and move it over the NOOKcolor within ADE.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #59
The Joker
Addict

Settings

I've got OMC working on my NC.....I don't like the format at all compared to the nooks reading format...I love the landscape feature though...

Question:
In the start up pop up, it says you can hit menu to adjust the setting (brightness, font, night mode, etc) Where is the menu button when in the overdrive software....??

I also like the feature that I can download the same library book into my OMC account as well as my ADE account, so I can have it store it both places....
Old 12-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #60
SCION
Séduisant

"Where is the menu button when in the overdrive software....?"

You need to use Button Savior or SoftKeys to access the menu. You do this within the book you're reading.

Tags
nook color, overdrive