Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Some questions

Hi all,

Was thinking of getting my wife a kobo ebook reader, but now with the cost of the nook at $150, that seems the way to go, even if I will have to jump through a few hoops to get it here in Canada.

I have a couple of basic questions which I couldn't find the answer to with a search:

1. Does Nook do full justification with hyphenation?
2. Can you actually use the wifi to load books that are stored on your computer? Or do you have to physically connect?
3. Does it handle series?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by foghat; 06-25-2010 at 12:25 AM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Hi all,

Was thinking of getting my wife a kobo ebook reader, but now with the cost of the nook at $150, that seems the way to go, even if I will have to jump through a few hoops to get it here in Canada.

I have a couple of basic questions which I couldn't find the answer to with a search:

1. Does Nook do full justification with hyphenation?
No.
Quote:
2. Can you actually use the wifi to load books that are stored on your computer? Or do you have to physically connect?
AS far as I know, you need to connect to the network. I have "sideloaded" books from my desktop computer while the Nook was connected to our laptop.
Quote:
Thanks a lot.
'Tain't no thang, cuz.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Does Nook do full justification without a hyphen? Seems to me some of the pictures I've seen do show the text with full justification, but not sure if it is the nook doing it or if the file was created that way in, say, calibre.

And anyone have any comments on how/if the nook handles collections/series?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
The books I've seen with full justification have had it designated in the ebook itself, so it would have those lovely straight left-right margins regardless of the reader. That is the exception, rather than the rule.
On the Nook, as with most eReaders, the user has access to changing the font style and size —just the sort of thing that wrecks havok with full justified text— so left-justified is much more common.
Nook does not handle series/collections at this time.

edit In fact, after I posted this, I realized that most of the "professionally made" ebooks I have are, indeed, fully justified. The spacing of words and letters sometimes remind me of the days I helped my father in the print shop (early 1970's), and the new computers would occasionally justify text by having the first word of a line to the far left, and the second word of the line to the far right, with about a third of the line blank in between.
We'll get there, as popularity and technology improves. Some readers, nook among them, already have a dictionary that shows syllables, pronunciation, and definition. We'll get to auto-hyphenation in time.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 06-25-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
foghat
Evangelist

^ alright. Thanks a lot!
Advert