Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whitaker's Words Latin Dictionary

Here it is. It's based on the source files I used years ago for my AbsoluteWord Latin dictionary for PalmOS.

Whitaker explicitly says in the source data that one can redistribute and sell as long as one notifies him. I sent an email to the address he said to use, and it bounced, because he died a couple of years ago, which I take it makes the notification rule moot.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Whitaker.mobi (5.79 MB, 2458 views)
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Thank you. I have been searching for a larger latin dictionary for months!

I would love to use this dictionary for koreader, too.
For that it has to be in Stardict format. I can turn text UTF-8 tab separated lines into Stardict, but I have no idea how to convert this mobi.prc file. Any ideas?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moderator Notice
Please, format the thread title according to the Guidelines.

And it is already available, anyway.

Last edited by Jellby; 06-05-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

I've checked it against the link given by Jellby and that textfile DICTPAGE.txt contains 39925 entries against pruss' 74405 entries.

Comparing
Code:
#volo, velle, volui, -  V                                                                            [XXXAX] :: wish, want, prefer; be willing, will;
#volo, volare, volavi, volatus  V (1st)                                                              [XXXAX] :: fly;
#volo, volonis  N (3rd) M                                                                            [XWXEC] :: volunteers (pl.); (in the Second Punic War);
to
Code:
volo N\nvolo, volonis\nN 3 1 M\nvolunteers (pl.)\n(in the Second Punic War)
volo V I\nvolo, velle, volui, -\nV 6 2\nwish, want, prefer\nbe willing, will
volo V II\nvolo, volare, volavi, volatus\nV 1 1\nfly
volonis N\nSee volo, volonis
it appears that pruss' version contains a lot of indirect references. Which is preferable for automated lookup in stardict.

The \n symbols are mine as part of the preformatting for a Stardict conversion.
I (1)converted the prc-file to a txt-file using calibre. (2) Search&Replaced symbols with notepad++ and (3) changed the first whitespace or comma to a tab with Excel. Then (5) copy&paste back into notepad++ to (6) convert to unix style EOF symbols and convert to UTF-8. Finally (7) I compiled an stardict dictionary with stardict editor.

The result is here.

Last edited by Markismus; 06-05-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
MaxStirner
Connoisseur
MaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
@pruss Thank you!
@Markismus I only wanted to say thank you - it's extremely useful to me, an I would have no idea myself how to proceed or is it even doable at all.
MaxStirner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:45 AM   #6
Markismus
Guru

@MaxStirner That post is from rather long ago! Glad to see the link still works. Enjoy!

Tags
latin, whitaker