Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
ttomm46
Connoisseur
ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Worth buying?

Hi
right now i have a Kobo wifi with the button to navigate.turn pages...Takes forever to type in a book or author that way...I notice the nook Simple Touch is 99 bucks

Would it be worth it to buy it to replace the kobo.....?
ttomm46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
It's on sale at BN until 6/17 for $79 if you pay with Mastercard:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK...R_CARD-_-nmd24

Last edited by livramax; 06-12-2012 at 06:06 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
ttomm46
Connoisseur
ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ttomm46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
that will work!!!
ttomm46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Djedefre
Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I've never heard of the Kobo, so I dunno how the Simple Touch would compare, but I really enjoy my STR, and I got it when it was still $139. For $99 or $79 from livramax's post, I'd say it's totally worth it.
Djedefre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
It's an awesome device.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Indeed, it very much is!
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Or you can get the next generation Kobo, Kobo Touch http://www.kobobooks.com/touch
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
It's on sale at BN until 6/17 for $79 if you pay with Mastercard:
It's an unmitigated bargain, you're a lucky lad

I just bought my Nook Simple Touch from Amazon, cost me $A95- and I had to pay $A58- mailing and handling, $A153-

To buy it elsewhere here in Australia it costs from $A175- to $A225-

I still think it's worth it and you will too or I'll be very cross
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've owned both. I think you'll prefer the Nook, for just the reasons you say. Now that I've used touchscreen devices, D-pads seem barbaric.

Make sure to get Calibre to convert your Kobo books before you sideload them, though. (You'll have to remove DRM and do an epub-to-epub conversion to get the covers to show up. Only drawback, really.)
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Both devices read EPub. There is no need to convert or even remove DRM. Kobo books can be read on the Nook
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Both devices read EPub. There is no need to convert or even remove DRM. Kobo books can be read on the Nook
If Kobo books can be read on the nook, then they must not have DRM. Otherwise you would have to strip it. It doesn't matter than they are EPUB format too. What matters is the DRM protection.

I Think.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Nook can read ADE DRM, which is used by Kobo and Sony. Nook uses its own unique DRM and cannot be read on a Sony or a Kobo but Kobo and Sony books can be read on a Nook.

This is not new info, it has been this way since the Nook was released.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
The Kobo epubs can be read on the Nook without conversion/DRM stripping, but the covers don't show up on the Nook.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
DroidUser
DroidUser began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
For anyone who wants to do more with their Nook color or Nook Tablet, check these cards out. It turns your nook to a fully fucntional android tablet. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_mp...bin=NR%20Cards
DroidUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidUser View Post
For anyone who wants to do more with their Nook color or Nook Tablet, check these cards out. It turns your nook to a fully fucntional android tablet. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_mp...bin=NR%20Cards
These cards are fairly easy to make at a fraction of the cost they are sold for. Instructions on how to make them are abound, just google for "nook tablet (or "color") cm7 sd card".

It worth learning to learn to make one's own card -- I have experienced instances where a misbehaving app corrupted the card's content in a way that triggers CM7 into spontaneous reboot during the boot up (thus preventing the Nook from ever completing the CM7 boot up) and the only practical course of action for repair is to burn another image.

Last edited by livramax; 06-16-2012 at 07:29 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote