Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Ack! About to buy a dead tree book!

I haven't bought a pbook since 2007, when I got my kindle. I have read some that I got from the library, because the ebook wasn't available or was too expensive (IMHO).

I really want to read Joseph Stiglitz's "The Price of Inequality". The ebook is $14.99 and the pbook is $15.92. If I get the pbook, I can lend it to my friend, and my husband (both of whom I think would enjoy it). When they get done with it, I can donate it to the library.

On the other hand, buying a pbook could lead to unintended consequences. If too many people decide to deviate from the electronic format, publishers win. I guess the answer for that is to just not buy the book at all. But I really want to read it!

Does anyone else actually feel guilty if they consider buying a book in dead tree format, if it is available in ebook format and doesn't cost more than the pbook? Or is it just me?

P.S. Anyone read it yet? It is based on his Vanity Fair article, which is available online.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Any reason you can't have them register an eReader or an app to your Amazon account and read the ebook that way? They can even read it at the same time as you. Or you could loan your eReader with the book on it to them. The library isn't going to be interested in a book donation by the time three people get around to reading it.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'd feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever (but then I still buy and read plenty of paper books).

It could also be argued that if you give in and buy the e-book at what seems to be an inflated price of $14.99, then the publishers also win by your supporting what seem to be inflated e-book prices (OTOH, since it sounds like non-fiction, the prices can reasonably go higher for that).

Personally, I think the p-book gives you more options. Lend to friend, husband can read it, library can have it = many more potential readers for this author's work, which may lead to boosted sales for his future works and you pay what seems like a more reasonable price overall for the book, given what you can do with the paper version. Win-win!

Or perhaps you can just wait to see if your local library gets in either version and read it that way?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They sell the books at an annual book sale. Will only take about a week for all 3 to read it, anyway.

No way I am giving someone else access to my library. I know the Patriot Act gives the govt the right to look at my lbrary borrowings, but neither my husband nor my friend gets access.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
It could also be argued that if you give in and buy the e-book at what seems to be an inflated price of $14.99, then the publishers also win by your supporting what seem to be inflated e-book prices (OTOH, since it sounds like non-fiction, the prices can reasonably go higher for that).
Maybe I will wait until it comes out in paperback. I'm getting more confused!
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
If too many people decide to deviate from the electronic format, publishers win.
Despite reading a lot of anti-publisher sentiment here, I still don't quite grok what it is about.

Are you aware that this is published by an employee-owned company which is most definitely not "big six"?

Quote:
Does anyone else actually feel guilty if they consider buying a book in dead tree format, if it is available in ebook format and doesn't cost more than the pbook? Or is it just me?
It can't just be you. But your question is making my a little dizzy. However, since you are planning to donate a just-released book to the public library, well, I salute you for that*, and of course you can only do this if you buy paper.
* I see that while I was writing this, someone wrote that the library wouldn't want it. Unless proven otherwise, I going to think that you talk with your local librarian or are otherwise in tune with their desires.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 06-16-2012 at 03:36 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Perhaps you should stick to paper books and burn them once you've read them, just in case the government (or your husband or friend) comes snooping around.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Nah, I buy whatever I feel like but prefer ebook, still if I can get the pbook used for pennies or if it is poetry or non-fiction I sometimes buy it in paper anyway.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't see why you can't you just lendthe ebook to your friend...
Anyway, I don't feel guilty if I haver to buy a pbook. In the case you state, however, I would not even consider buying the pbook.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Does anyone else actually feel guilty if they consider buying a book in dead tree format, if it is available in ebook format and doesn't cost more than the pbook?
Nope.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The library isn't going to be interested in a book donation by the time three people get around to reading it.
Quote:
Will only take about a week for all 3 to read it, anyway.
A check shows the New York Public Library has 27 copies for which there are 59 holds.

Chicago owns zero copies.

Hopefully they will know this is needed for their collection.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Do you have Amazon Prime for free shipping?

B&N has 15% off code to bring the cost to $13.93.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I went on line to reserve it, and the system wouldn't let me. Guess I need talk to someone.

The librarian said they take in books for their annual booksale, which raises a lot of money. I had heard once they didn't have the room - they told me there were books under tables, all over the place. I told them I had three shopping bags of books that I would bring next year. They try and keep up with all the donations, so said I could bring them by anytime. So at least this book wouldn't gather dust in the basement!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
What on earth is wrong with buying "real" books???

I still buy them. If I'm buying something I like to have something physical to hold - ergo, I still buy books. Although generally not at full price... My T1 is reserved for free to download, out of copyright stuff. I can't see anything wrong with buying real books...
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't feel guilty about buying either a print book or an eBook. In fact, I don't get the either-or stigma.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote