Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2022, 10:09 PM   #1
jenrar
Connoisseur
jenrar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Catalog that includes multiple libraries?

Hi. I have all my different categories (genres, like Contemporary Romance, Nonfiction, Paranormal, etc) split into different libraries. Is there any way I can make a catalog that features all of those at once without having to make one for each and then combining myself? I doubt there's a plugin or anything for that, but figured I'd see if anyone knows.

TIA!
jenrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:54 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Why use separate physical libraries for genres? Virtual libraries would be better, IMHO.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2022, 10:59 PM   #3
jenrar
Connoisseur

Never used virtual libraries. Not sure what they are.

And I use separate physical libraries because I have so many books that it was taking FOREVER to get stuff done with everything in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why use separate physical libraries for genres? Virtual libraries would be better, IMHO.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:48 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrar View Post
Never used virtual libraries. Not sure what they are.

And I use separate physical libraries because I have so many books that it was taking FOREVER to get stuff done with everything in one.
Sorry that last did not compute?

Was it simply that you were overwhelmed when you looked at the whole shebang?
OK, lets talk VL (virtual Libraries)
They are simply a Filtered view of the Full Library.
When using a VL, all the other stuff (tags, covers...) now only applies to the VL.

Say you're looking at a VL, In the Tag browser, you want to delete the tag YA from all books in the VL. If a VL is current, there will now be 2 choices: Only in the VL or All

OK are your other Libraries suitable for Merging?
Do the have the same columns?
Do they have any Different Custom column Tag Modes (No custom columns, n/a)
Is there some data search that is unique to each of the old Libraries.
eg tags:romance, #read:false (#read is a custom column. False means no entry)
Be sure Each old Library has something a search will only find those books (and that same search done in the others, returns nothing)
BACKUP all your old Libraries before starting the Merge.
Make a new Library (Main), Switch/Create: Create an Empty Library (tick)Copy Structure . This brings over any settings in use.

Switch back to one of the old. Select all books (ctrl-a):right-click on one:Copy to Library:Main
Repeat for each OLD Library

OK Now looking at Main: Click the wodrs Virtual Library (left of the Search): Create: Name it and type in that search term you tested fort the old Library

Repeat for each desired VL.

FWIW I have 4. Have Read, To Read, TBE (to be edited) and Formats none or poor (My wish list of empty books or thous with lots of Errors)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #5
jenrar
Connoisseur

Thanks so much! That works great. Got them all set up and got the extra libraries deleted! I really appreciate your time and help. It's a lot easier for me to read and comprehend stuff when someone writes it out directly. I've done a lot of reading in the documentation, and most of the time, I can follow along with that well enough. But sometimes I just need more one-on-one help, and this was it.
Advert

Tags
catalog