Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2022, 06:47 PM   #1
haveloook
haveloook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Divide/sandbox different libraries/directories to different reader software?

Hi, apologies in advance if this isn't very clear, I hope I explained well enough (got a little confused what terms to use, hence all the "/" wishy-washyness in the title).

Is it possible to divide directories/libraries exclusively between a Kobo device's default reader and KOReader? Like have one library essentially "sandboxed" to one specific software? I have two very different "types" of books, and I'd have a waaay easier time navigating them if the two libraries were completely separate.

In Calibre I have them as separate libraries entirely, as an example of what I want.

Nickel obviously has them all lumped together with only Collections an option to grant any distinction (and the Collections wind up massive). I'd rather use Collections to sort within my primary library and not what is essentially something more like a distinction between format than genre (not "formats" as in "file types", just describing how wide the differences are).

In KOReader I have different folders for each. KOReader works well enoughish for my secondary library, but that doesn't solve my secondary library's far more granular (and highly specific, not really translatable to my main library) tagging system muddying and bogging down my primary library (and my primary library's tags adding even more bulk to the bigger pool of my secondary one). I'd just really rather they not mix at all.

Two different reader software (Nickel/KOR) for two different libraries of books would be ideal, so I am wondering if that is possible to set up? (I have a Kobo Clara HD, specifically, if that makes a difference, I didn't add a prefix to my post because I didn't think this question was quite device specific.)

Thanks for any guidance!
haveloook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:14 PM   #2
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm going to assume two things:
  1. If you have successfully installed koreader, then you've also configured nickel to ignore hidden folders.
  2. These libraries have no need to interact with or be aware of one another.

I use koreader exclusively for pdfs and cbzs which I don't want nickel to index (because it just clutters the library and I'll never use nickel to view them). So I put those files in a hidden folder called .misc (the dot is important) and set my koreader home folder to it (long press on the folder, I believe). That way, when I boot up koreader, it opens to that folder, organized the way I want it to be.

You could probably do something similar.

Last edited by rtiangha; 09-30-2022 at 07:33 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert