Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #16
lairdb
dog ear
lairdb began at the beginning.

Device: lots
Any news on this, or workarounds? As mkgtu reports, I noticed this on emailed PDOCs starting in mid-September -- just tested again and it's still happening.
lairdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #17
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Still broken and I've heard nothing.
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2020, 11:33 PM   #18
nini1221
nini1221 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 9th ed
I have a Kindle Oasis 9th ed. I've been having the same problem with my email address showing up as the author. Up until about 30 minutes ago, I have spoken to 7 different cs / tech support reps. Tonight, they are escalating it - again Of course most of them have said it's because they have certain security measures in place and that makes it a Calibre problem. I tried sending an email to an old address I have for Kovid Goyal but the address is no longer valid. (Anyone have his address?)

Has anyone also had the problem with trying to 'Remove Download' from Downloaded books to ALL or the Cloud and getting a message asking if you want to DELETE this Document instead of Remove it? It doesn't move the book to the cloud, it completely removes it from everywhere.

Don'tCha hate it when an update screws up a good system?
nini1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #19
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is not a Calibre problem. It happens in any mail client you use to send the book. Calibre has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #20
nini1221
nini1221 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 9th ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
It is not a Calibre problem. It happens in any mail client you use to send the book. Calibre has nothing to do with it.
(I'm a newbie so I hope I do this response right)
Amazon has repeatedly tried to tell me that it is a Calibre problem. I have never had a problem with Calibre before and I think Amazon is just trying to sell more of it's own books rather than having them imported - or else they just can't fix their own mistake!
nini1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #21
GeniusJ
Connoisseur

I agree that Amazon is trying to shift the blame. What I'm saying is that it is not Calibre-specific, it happens with any email client, with any MOBI file regardless of how it was created or uploaded. Feel free to push back on Amazon with this information.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #22
GeniusJ
Connoisseur

This has started working properly for me, as of today. Can anyone confirm that it's working for you now?
Old 12-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #23
mamobae
mamobae began at the beginning.

Device: Paper white, iPad, iPhone, iPod
I forgot about this issue and it’s still not resolved. It’s still happening if I email via Calibre but not via the send to kindle utility. It wouldn’t be a big deal except that it hinders searching for a doc via author. I wish I could fix it on Amazon itself but alas no. However the authors do appear on paperwhite and I can search for them there. But I use the kindle app even more
So I’ll delete this handful of docs and will re-send them before they get lost in the vaults of my kindle cloud. (And my memory too )
mamobae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #24
Garyeb
Garyeb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Suddenly working for me. Both Send to Kindle utility AND email with attachment to my Kindle email address. Shows correct Authors.
Garyeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #25
mamobae
mamobae began at the beginning.

Device: Paper white, iPad, iPhone, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyeb View Post
Suddenly working for me. Both Send to Kindle utility AND email with attachment to my Kindle email address. Shows correct Authors.
Itís fine on paperwhite but have you checked your library content on your Amazon account? Your email address is probably listed as the author. It really has nothing to do with Calibre as previously mentioned, itís a kindle document issue. I emailed a mobi to my kindle not long ago. Instead Iíve send it to kindle within iOS I can open a mobi on the kindle app with the option of changing the author and adding it to my kindle (cloud) library much like the send to kindle utility for PC
And I find it dangerous how easy we can delete docs from our kindle cloud versus removing the download.
mamobae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #26
lairdb
dog ear
lairdb began at the beginning.

Device: lots
Working correctly again for me as well - Iíve been corresponding with a CS rep who says she escalated to engineering; maybe that did it, maybe someone elseís agitation, but itís working again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamobae View Post
Itís fine on paperwhite but have you checked your library content on your Amazon account? Your email address is probably listed as the author. It really has nothing to do with Calibre as previously mentioned, itís a kindle document issue.
Of course it doesnít; no-one has said it did. While working with CS, I never even mentioned Calibre. Yes, author is correct in MYKC - it is the author from the mobi metadata, not my email address.
lairdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #27
GeniusJ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamobae View Post
Itís fine on paperwhite but have you checked your library content on your Amazon account? Your email address is probably listed as the author.
As I posted a few days ago, it's working properly for me again. My Amazon account now shows the correct author when I use "send to Kindle" via email. It seems fixed, at least for now.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #28
mkgtu
Connoisseur
mkgtu doesn't littermkgtu doesn't littermkgtu doesn't litter

Device: Currently:Kindle 4, Voyage, Oasis 3, and mobile appsKindle Fire
I can confirm that it's working for me also:

Using the "Send to Kindle App" on PC, and leaving the "author" line blank, the app reads the author name correctly from the metadata in the book title, (eg In Farleigh Field - Rhys Bowen) in This case Rhys Bowen showed up as the author on my Kindle for Android app on my phone, on my Kindle Oasis, Voyage, and my old Kindle 4th gen. Was also correct on the "Manage Your Kindle" website.

As to emailing from calibre, I never do that for books, but I do use calibre to email news downloads (eg New York Times, The Economist, etc) and those have been showing up on devices and in the cloud with "calibre" as the author, which is what's supposed to happen; since calibre creates the file from scratch is is considered the "author".

Previously, during this messed up interlude, emailed things were being sent with the emal address as author, and "Send to Kindle" app items were being sent with the Amazon account owner's name as the book author.

So as far as I'm concerned this is fixed, though I guess we'll never be sure what "this" was, who broke it, or who fixed it. I can live with that as long as it's working again.
mkgtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #29
GeniusJ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgtu View Post
So as far as I'm concerned this is fixed, though I guess we'll never be sure what "this" was, who broke it, or who fixed it. I can live with that as long as it's working again.
Until they break it again.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #30
mkgtu
Connoisseur
mkgtu doesn't littermkgtu doesn't littermkgtu doesn't litter

Device: Currently:Kindle 4, Voyage, Oasis 3, and mobile appsKindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
Until they break it again.
Ah yes, there's that
mkgtu is offline   Reply With Quote