Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-27-2022, 12:05 PM   #7576
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
New Test Version Posted

2022-09-27
- adapter_adultfanfictionorg: Fixes for site changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm View Post
Tried some adult-fanfiction.org links, they seem to be breaking, giving a "'NoneType' object has no attribute 'findAll'" error.

The site seems to have undergone some cosmetic changes, possibly as a result of a malware injection last week, so that might have broken it.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:08 PM   #7577
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (retired), Kobo Libra H2O
Question: What does an "uninitialized error" mean in the browser cache? Thankfully I got it working after clearing cache and reloading the chapters into it.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:49 PM   #7578
surpachup
surpachup began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Books, Kindle
Oh right, I meant "add all the existing". Thank you, I tried using the features you mentioned and read about them on github but my custom columns won't feed.

I made an example in which:
- #tw is a custom column which should only contain death or mcd if any
- tags is the default tags column which should only contain alternate canon or modern

Quote:
[www.archiveofourown.org]

custom_columns_settings:
bookmarkrec=>#rec
kudos=>#kudos
include_in_genre: freeformtags,genre,status

replace_metadata:
ships=>Draco Malfoy/Hermione Granger=>dramione
fandoms=>Harry Potter \- J\. K\. Rowling=>Harry Potter
fandoms=>Harry Potter and the Cursed Child \- Thorne & Rowling=>Cursed Child
include_metadata_post:
ships=~[Dd]ramione
extra_valid_entries:fandoms,notes
ao3categories, comments, chapterslashtotal, chapterstotal, kudos,
hits, bookmarks, collections, byline, bookmarked, bookmarktags,
bookmarksummary, bookmarkprivate, bookmarkrec, restricted, series00,
series01, series02, series03, series00Url, series01Url, series02Url,
series03Url, series00HTML, series01HTML, series02HTML, series03HTML
add_to_extra_valid_entries:,au,tw

include_in_au:genre,freeformtags
include_in_tw:genre,freeformtags

add_to_replace_metadata:
au=~Alternate Canon|Deviates From Canon|Alternate Universe \- Canon Divergence|[Ff]ix-[Ii]t=>alternate canon&&category=~Harry Potter|Cursed Child
au=~[Mm]odern [Ee]ra=>modern
tw=~Minor Character Death=>death
tw=~Major Character Death=>mcd
include_metadata_post:
au==alternate canon
au==modern
tw==death
tw==mcd
add_to_custom_columns_settings:
tw=>#tw
include_in_tags:au
include_subject_tags:
include_in_category:fandoms
include_in_freefromtags:freeformtags
include_in_notes: bookmarksummary
I tested it with this https://archiveofourown.org/works/41674563 and #kudos, #fandom, #notes and #ships (old settings) are populated but not tags and #tw
surpachup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 12:55 AM   #7579
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Question: What does an "uninitialized error" mean in the browser cache? Thankfully I got it working after clearing cache and reloading the chapters into it.
No idea. That string doesn't appear in the FFF code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surpachup View Post
I made an example in which:
- #tw is a custom column which should only contain death or mcd if any
- tags is the default tags column which should only contain alternate canon or modern

I tested it with this https://archiveofourown.org/works/41674563 and #kudos, #fandom, #notes and #ships (old settings) are populated but not tags and #tw
It works better to use [code] around config blocks rather than [quote]. The '#' button in the 'advanced' post editor.

Code:
add_to_replace_metadata:
 au=~Alternate Canon|Deviates From Canon|Alternate Universe \- Canon Divergence|[Ff]ix-[Ii]t=>alternate canon&&category=~Harry Potter|Cursed Child
 au=~[Mm]odern [Ee]ra=>modern
 tw=~Minor Character Death=>death
 tw=~Major Character Death=>mcd
You can't use =~ there in replace_metadata, it's only for include/exclude_metadata_pre/post or conditionals in replace_metadata. Yes, it's inconsistent.

Code:
include_in_tags:au
include_in_tags does nothing, FFF doesn't have a metadata entry named tags. (As standard--it can be defined for individual sites or by users.)

Code:
include_subject_tags:
The Calibre Tags column is treated special for historical reasons. The include_subject_tags setting controls what goes into Tags.

This clears the include_subject_tags setting, telling FFF not to set anything in Calibre's Tags field. (Unless you also have extra_subject_tags set--which is 3/4 deprecated.)
Old 10-01-2022, 11:52 AM   #7580
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question: When I created my longtext metadata column a long time ago, I made it HTML longtext, which I recently found out was not good practice.

I created a second longtext column, this one plain-text. What would be the best method of changing all them over though?

Even without ffnet-specific problems, re-downloading metadata on every fic would be annoying. And search & replace also copies over the HTML tags.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-01-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #7581
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Just change the existing column.

Backup first, of course, but I tried and that worked fine for me--assuming you haven't manually changed any. But those would be broken either way.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:10 PM   #7582
ownedbycats
Wizard

Oh, I didn't realize it was possible to change the longtext column type after the fact. Seems to be working fine
Old 10-01-2022, 06:56 PM   #7583
surpachup
surpachup began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Books, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
You can't use =~ there in replace_metadata, it's only for include/exclude_metadata_pre/post or conditionals in replace_metadata. Yes, it's inconsistent.
Thank you for your help, I was able to make it work as I intended my personal.ini has never been this long but I can't go back now

Code:
[www.archiveofourown.org]

custom_columns_settings:
bookmarkrec=>#rec
kudos=>#kudos
add_to_extra_valid_entries:,au,tw
include_in_genre: freeformtags,genre,status
include_in_au:genre,freeformtags
include_in_tw:genre,freeformtags

replace_metadata:
 ships=>Draco Malfoy/Hermione Granger=>dramione
 fandoms=>Harry Potter \- J\. K\. Rowling=>Harry Potter
 fandoms=>Harry Potter and the Cursed Child \- Thorne & Rowling=>Cursed Child
 au=>.*[Mm]odern [Ee]ra.*=>modern\,au
 au=>.*Alternate Canon.*|Deviates From Canon|Alternate Universe \- Canon Divergence|.*[Ff]ix-[Ii]t.*=>alternate canon&&fandom=~.*Harry Potter.*|.*Cursed Child.*
 tw=>Minor Character Death=>death
 tw=>Major Character Death=>mcd

include_metadata_post:
 au==alternate canon
 au==modern
 tw==death
 tw==mcd

add_to_custom_columns_settings:
 tw=>#tw

include_subject_tags:au
add_to_include_subject_tags:,au
include_in_category:fandoms
include_in_freefromtags:freeformtags
include_in_notes: bookmarksummary
surpachup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:25 PM   #7584
dailyalice
Geek of All Trades
dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis (3rd gen)
Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize it was possible to change the longtext column type after the fact. Seems to be working fine
I was confused a bit at first about the Saved Metadata long text column and HTML versus plain text. And I was also surprised you can just flip that from HTML to Text and back again easily.

The "interpret this column as" option appears to tell calibre how to show you the column data (the data itself is not changed). If you choose HTML, when you look at the data, you see it as if you were looking at a web page (with all that formatting in use). If you choose "Text" it is interpreted as or shown as Text (which would be like viewing the source code of a web page, so you'd see all the tags and whatnot).

I like to sometimes look at Saved Metadata at the bottom of Book Details as a way of comparing what I have in my own columns to what data is available in Saved Metadata. So having it interpreted as HTML means I can easily read it there; whereas if it is interpreted as Text, it shows up as code (which I'm geeky enough to understand, but reading HTML code as code is not nearly as nice to look at or easy to read).

The problem comes if you edit Saved Metadata while you have it interpreted as HTML. If you have it visible on the Edit Metadata screen and edit it while it is interpreted as HTML, the code will get messed up and your Saved Metadata won't be useful anymore. It's because of how the HTML editor works, I guess, changing the code beneath what is visible on your screen. Whereas if you have it interpreted as and visible as text (code) in Edit Metadata, you probably could edit it safely. (Though it seems like a bad idea to edit it at all.)

In that epic calibre/FanFicFare guide I'm working on, I explain this (better, I hope, with screenshots to give examples). I also instruct folks to go to calibre Preferences / Look & feel / Edit Metadata and remove all the FanFicFare special columns (Saved Metadata, Errors, FFF Updated) from their Edit Metadata page, that way they won't mistakenly edit them (or be tempted to edit them). (It's always easy enough to return them if you need to get to them, but it's safest to not have them there.)

If I understand things correctly, if you don't touch Saved Metadata (on purpose or by accident), it should be safe to have it interpreted as HTML. If you ever decide you need to edit it for some reason, it's easy enough to change the column settings to "interpret this column as" to Text before you do anything.

(I wound up fetching data out of an older calibre Library where I'd named my Saved Metadata something different than I did in my current one. I ended up using bulk search & replace to move Saved Metadata from one column to another for some works and then I made darn sure both the columns involved were interpreted as text before I tackled it.)

I think I have this right (please correct me if I'm wrong).
dailyalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:23 PM   #7585
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyalice View Post
I think I have this right (please correct me if I'm wrong).
It looks like you understand correctly to me.

FYI, even if you disable columns in Edit Metadata under Preferences / Look & feel / Edit Metadata, you can still edit those columns from the library book list just by double clicking when the columns are shown. So it's definitely 'hiding', not 'protecting'.

I still recommend leaving the Saved Meta column interpreted as Text to be a little bit safer.

Calibre changing the HTML in long texts automagically came along after the FFF Saved Metadata Column feature. I would not have used an HTML format when the feature was implemented if I had known that was coming.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #7586
dailyalice
Geek of All Trades
dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!dailyalice rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis (3rd gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
It looks like you understand correctly to me.
Hooray! (And thank you letting me know.)

Quote:
FYI, even if you disable columns in Edit Metadata under Preferences / Look & feel / Edit Metadata, you can still edit those columns from the library book list just by double clicking when the columns are shown. So it's definitely 'hiding', not 'protecting'.
Ah, this is good to know. I think the actual first thing I suggest in my guide (after column creation) is to return to the place where you add columns and remove the checkmarks from next to the new special columns so they don't show up in column view (what you call library book list I guess I've been calling "column view").

Quote:
I still recommend leaving the Saved Meta column interpreted as Text to be a little bit safer.

Calibre changing the HTML in long texts automagically came along after the FFF Saved Metadata Column feature. I would not have used an HTML format when the feature was implemented if I had known that was coming.
That makes sense. And yeah, I guess you can't change it now given how many people have used Saved Metadata and still use it from old books/libraries, etc.

I do mention your recommendation in the guide and explain, so hopefully I won't steer anyone too far afield. I strongly urge that people leave that data alone, but I also find it useful to have folks look at Saved Metadata (in Book Details) so they can see what data FanFicFare is actually pulling down and then decide which bits they might want in their own columns.

I suppose once I get my library settings the way I want, I don't necessarily need to look at Saved Metadata myself very often, it's just when I'm messing around with replace_metadata and so on that i find it helpful.

I've been using "HTML" for my long text columns where I write up my own comments on works, but I think I'm going to switch to plain text or text with Markdown because the HTML editor window in Edit Metadata seems to always throw empty paragraph HTML between my paragraphs, which puts a whole lot of extra space between paragraphs and looks awful when viewed in Book Details. (Or maybe if I stick with HTML I should just write my comments in the "HTML Source" tab rather than "Normal view" since I'm used to typing things in HTML anyway and then presumably I wouldn't be surprised when calibre tries to help by throwing in extra paragraph HTML.)
dailyalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:14 PM   #7587
greenskye
greenskye began at the beginning.

Device: none
What setting would I use to stop FFF from populating the tag column with any values (for all sites). I only want to set tags manually and never pre-populate them. Based on the options it seems like I can only choose to set tags on new books, or if I uncheck that option it will add tags on every update as well. There doesn't seem to be any sort of global disable that I could find.

If there is no global disable, can someone help me disable tags from populating from Ao3? I'm confused by the ini settings and am not sure what to add or remove to stop this field from populating.
greenskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #7588
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Set both include_subject_tags and extra_subject_tags to be empty. Doing so under the [overrides] section will force it to apply to all sites:
Code:
[overrides]
include_subject_tags:
extra_subject_tags:
Old 10-09-2022, 02:23 AM   #7589
ownedbycats
Wizard

Silly question:

Is it possible to
put a generate_cover_settings under the [website] sections to switch to AO3_smalltext/FFNet_smalltext if the title is above xx characters?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-09-2022 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:47 AM   #7590
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Silly question:

Is it possible to
put a generate_cover_settings under the [website] sections to switch to AO3_smalltext/FFNet_smalltext if the title is above xx characters?
Should be possible using the {m,n} regex mechanism.

Overriding [defaults] generate_cover_settings will rely on using add_to_ appropriately--using generate_cover_settings under the [site] sections and add_to_generate_cover_settings under [defaults] so the [site] versions have higher precedence.