Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2022, 05:33 AM   #46
Artemide
Enthusiast
Artemide began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Pocketbook Basic Lux 3
All my freezes occurred moving on the menu, never during read books. On my case it seems a software problem.
@mrbrisco, at your place I'll do a clean and full install of firmware suggested (4.32*), with no mods. If problems remain, probably it's the hardware
Artemide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:49 PM   #47
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I had a couple of crashes. It might have been caused by custom fonts. I convert all books to mobi then to epub to remove all gremlins. No crashes since.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:39 AM   #48
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Is there a way to tell if you have the old or new Libra 2 revision? I just got mine, and I have had no crashes yet, but I'm only reading a single epub library book at present.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #49
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Is there a way to tell if you have the old or new Libra 2 revision? I just got mine, and I have had no crashes yet, but I'm only reading a single epub library book at present.
I installed KOReader and used its SSH server to log into it and ran:

Code:
/bin/ntx_hwconfig -s /dev/mmcblk0
Then in the result, look at the “PMIC” line. If it says BD71828, it’s the new, second revision. If it says RC5T619, it’s the old, first revision.

But it doesn’t matter because it makes zero difference on crashes and battery life. In fact, I’ve had both and the newer revision seems to be somewhat even worse.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #50
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
it doesn’t matter because it makes zero difference on crashes and battery life.
Is there a known list of things that do influence the crashes and battery life? If I can prevent the problems by avoiding certain activities, then I'd probably do so...
Old 09-10-2022, 06:21 PM   #51
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Is there a known list of things that do influence the crashes and battery life? If I can prevent the problems by avoiding certain activities, then I'd probably do so...
Not that we've been able to ascertain.

My Libra is heavily patched, has more than a thousand books on it (all sideloaded), several custom screensavers and lots of custom fonts. I adjust the light often, switch between books etc. Yet I haven't had crashes since the firmware 4.32 (I've not updated since).

One thing I never do is sync. In fact, wifi is always off on my Kobos.

I use the stock reader.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #52
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Hmm... I updated my Libra 2 when I got it, so I think it's on 4.33 now. I adjust the light depending on whether I'm reading during the day or at night, and since I only have one book, I never need to switch books. I haven't added any custom fonts or anything else yet, and I haven't had any crashes.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #53
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Hmm... I updated my Libra 2 when I got it, so I think it's on 4.33 now. I adjust the light depending on whether I'm reading during the day or at night, and since I only have one book, I never need to switch books. I haven't added any custom fonts or anything else yet, and I haven't had any crashes.
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the usage pattern of crashing vs non-crashing devices. To muddle the waters even more, my Libra was purchased upon release, so is almost certainly the older revision (I've not bothered to check). I did have crashes and reboots at first, but not after the 4.32 update came out.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:30 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've not crashed since installing 4.34.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 08:47 PM   #55
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not crashed since installing 4.34.
Were you crashing on 4.33 and earlier?
Old 09-23-2022, 04:18 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Were you crashing on 4.33 and earlier?
The first 4.33, I did have a couple of times I had to reboot. After that, no problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote