Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #16
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
So can anyone who has done the 6to9 update report on the state of their notes of 1) In text typed notes, 2) linked note pages and 3)linked note file. (i remember copy pasting linked note pages into a note file, because access to the linked note pages is rather iffy.)
I suggest you go here and ask.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #17
Hrod
Enthusiast
Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Boox Nova Pro & Kindle Scribe
For the Notes local backup bug (impossible to restore), I was able to restore an old backup file (done quite some time ago on 2.x).

The explanation is that any Notes local backup done on 3.1 (before upgrading to Android 9) cannot be restored on 3.0 (after upgrading).

This seems implied by the 3.1 changelog:
Optimize the sync process. Notes can be synced in the background. The pop-up window of the notepad property shows sync progress and status (the synch data structure has been adjusted. All Notes need to be re-synchronized after the upgrade. This is not compatible with Notes sync of lower than firmware V3.0 )

I'll check if I can restore my 3.1 backup once Boox released the 3.1 update for Android 9.

Last edited by Hrod; 05-03-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Hrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #18
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Just yesterday I put my NovaPro (bought new in 2019) in the trash. It wouldn't charge (stuck on 14%) and I was using it for notes in a couple of classes I was taking. When I contacted Boox they responded that it would cost $12 if the battery was the only issue, a new motherboard $60, and freight $25. Wondering if I should dig it out of the trash and see if the upgrade might fix the issue.

I can't get the tts on my Poke2 to work and it's doing wierd things w/the text.

Needless to say I won't be buying a Boox device to replace either of them.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #19
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Just yesterday I put my NovaPro (bought new in 2019) in the trash. It wouldn't charge (stuck on 14%)... Wondering if I should dig it out of the trash and see if the upgrade might fix the issue.
Sounds like a battery issue to me. In which case the upgrade wouldn't fix it.

Why not open it up to see what size battery it takes? Once you have that information, you can look for an appropriate sized battery on Aliexpress or ebay and then try installing it.

From looking at videos and photos of people who have done that with the Note device, it doesn't seem all that complicated. I did it once before with a cheap tablet whose battery had given up the ghost and will likely be doing the same with my Note Pro over the summer.

If you're not confident about opening the Nova Pro up, you could try taking it to an electronics repair store to see what they would charge you to replace the battery.

Quote:
I can't get the tts on my Poke2 to work and it's doing wierd things w/the text.

Needless to say I won't be buying a Boox device to replace either of them.
Never had a Poke device, but all my other Boox devices have worked and are continuing to work well. Just the battery on my Note Pro.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #20
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Sounds like a battery issue to me. In which case the upgrade wouldn't fix it.

Why not open it up to see what size battery it takes? Once you have that information, you can look for an appropriate sized battery on Aliexpress or ebay and then try installing it.
I did think of that. I have changed batteries (from NewPower99) on a a Fire HD6 and a Nexus7. Wasn't aware you could buy batteries from Aliexpress (thanks for the tip).

Mostly I was irritated the battery went so soon. I've had much cheaper devices that lasted years. The Nexus7, for example, over six with daily use.

The Nova Pro is my third Boox device, preceded by the Kepler Pro in 2017.
Appreciate the response.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #21
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mostly I was irritated the battery went so soon. I've had much cheaper devices that lasted years. The Nexus7, for example, over six with daily use.
Quite understand. I'm currently feeling that way about my Note Pro. As it was an expensive device, I would have expected the battery to last a little longer.

I have a 10" Acer tablet which I got nine years ago. It was a good bit cheaper than my Note Pro. It has seen more use and it still holds a decent charge.

Onyx really needs to up their game in regard to their batteries. From what I have read this is not an uncommon experience.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:21 PM   #22
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
I replaced the battery in a first Gen Note last year. It does require soldering, but I managed to do it without any major experience - in fact, that was only the second time I successfully fixed anything by soldering. But you do need a soldering iron, some solder and I've found a desoldering pump very helpful to remove the old solder when removing the old battery, my relatively cheap soldering kit actually came with one.
Otherwise it's just unsoldering the three wires, ripping out the old battery (I think it's got a bit of glue to hold it in place), stick in the new one and solder in the three wires.
But yes, having a simple plug would have made things easier
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #23
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
I replaced the battery in a first Gen Note last year.
If you don't mind, I would be curious to know what battery you got and from where.

I have seen a couple of batteries on offer on Aliexpress. However, a poster somewhere else expressed dissatisfaction with one of the batteries... or was it the vendor? Can't recall.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #24
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
If you don't mind, I would be curious to know what battery you got and from where.

I have seen a couple of batteries on offer on Aliexpress. However, a poster somewhere else expressed dissatisfaction with one of the batteries... or was it the vendor? Can't recall.
I just checked, the exact one I ordered isn't available anymore it seems. I got it on Aliexpress and there seem to be a number of other listings that might also do the trick. This one here for example:
€ 14,76 8%OFF | HSABAT BOOX NOTE 6800mAh Battery for ONYX BOOX NOTE,PRO,NOTE+ e-Book Li-po Rechargeable Accumulator Pack Batteries
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vbAwhv

I'm a bit confused by the high claimed capacity, not sure if this has to do with how they calculate the capacity or if it's actually larger, but mine back then was also claimed to be 5500mAh. Also there's someone in the comments who says they installed it in a Note, so I think it's quite likely that it's going to work (whatever the exact capacity)
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #25
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
I just checked, the exact one I ordered isn't available anymore it seems. I got it on Aliexpress and there seem to be a number of other listings that might also do the trick. This one here for example:
€ 14,76 8%OFF | HSABAT BOOX NOTE 6800mAh Battery for ONYX BOOX NOTE,PRO,NOTE+ e-Book Li-po Rechargeable Accumulator Pack Batteries
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vbAwhv

I'm a bit confused by the high claimed capacity, not sure if this has to do with how they calculate the capacity or if it's actually larger, but mine back then was also claimed to be 5500mAh. Also there's someone in the comments who says they installed it in a Note, so I think it's quite likely that it's going to work (whatever the exact capacity)
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

I had seen the HSABAT battery on ALiexpress, but, like yourself, was somewhat skeptical about the claimed capacity. I had also seen somewhere that someone had used one of those batteries and was reporting having some issues with it not long afterwards. That's why I was curious to know what battery you went with.

Boox did offer to sell me a battery for $20. However, the shipping would have been $75. That seems a bit much to me. So I will likely go with one of the various options on Aliexpress.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #26
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
The 3.1 update for Android 9 (Nova Pro) is available :

2021-02-20_12-21_3.1_f1d2ad8
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #27
Hrod
Enthusiast
Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Hrod knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Note taking is improved. The latency added with Android 9 has now disappeared.

Notes saved on Android 6 firmware 3.1 can now be restored.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #28
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
@Hrod Is the 3.1 update for Note Pro Android 9 available too?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #29
Hrod
Enthusiast

I don't think so as a Note Pro Android 9 user checked.

It should not be long now.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:59 PM   #30
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Thanks!
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote