Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-24-2021, 09:47 AM   #46
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I don't know how the original Star Trek series got in here, but I'll bite. It's always been my favorite Star Trek Series. TNG was decent, but the Original Series shined. The writing was superb in the original series. Take my favorite episode, 'City on the Edge of Forever' written by Harlan Ellison (He finally won a 2009 lawsuit to get his due credit). The show won a Hugo Award for best dramatic presentation. (The show was filmed on the set of The Andy Griffith Show.) Then there was Balance of Terror, introducing Romulans. Then there was Trouble with Tribbles, also a Hugo nominee, and edged out by the winner City on the Edge of Forever. None of the ST series have had writing as good since then.

I thought Trouble with Tribbles was great too.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:27 AM   #47
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Two little words: "Spock's Brain."
That was a good one too! it just doesn’t make my top 3. Doomsday Machine was also another classic.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:33 AM   #48
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
That was a good one too! it just doesn’t make my top 3. Doomsday Machine was also another classic.
The episode is generally regarded by most fans, and those who took part in its production, as the worst episode of the series.[2] William Shatner called this one of the series' worst episodes, calling the episode's plot a "tribute" to NBC executives who slashed the show's budget and placed it in a bad time slot.[3][4] Leonard Nimoy wrote: "Frankly, during the entire shooting of that episode, I was embarrassed—a feeling that overcame me many times during the final season of Star Trek."[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock's_Brain
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #49
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
No, the worst episode was the one with the hippies that wanted to migrate to a new planet. That episode was horrible. It was so bad I didn’t even want to look it up.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:53 AM   #50
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, the worst episode was the one with the hippies that wanted to migrate to a new planet. That episode was horrible. It was so bad I didn’t even want to look it up.
Q.E.D. on the quality of writing. Never saw that on TNG, did we?
Old 07-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #51
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Maybe it's that TOS was cancelled long before I was born and TNG was on when I was a kid, but TOS largely wasn't something I was a fan of.

On the other hand, some of the Star Trek movies based on TOS with the original cast are pretty good.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:03 AM   #52
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Maybe it's that TOS was cancelled long before I was born and TNG was on when I was a kid, but TOS largely wasn't something I was a fan of.

On the other hand, some of the Star Trek movies based on TOS with the original cast are pretty good.
I don't mean to be too harsh. TOS had some stellar episodes. But it was very uneven. And the third season was a disappointment.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #53
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
And it's probably easier to make, say, one good movie every year than 79 good 50 minute TV episodes over 3 years or so.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #54
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I don't mean to be too harsh. TOS had some stellar episodes. But it was very uneven. And the third season was a disappointment.
Gene Roddenberry left the series in the 3rd season due to the bad time slot they were given. He felt his word would be worth nothing if he stayed in spite of the way they were treated by the network.

So all the really horrible episodes are in Season 3.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote