Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #31
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The listing has to be added to the person's library, marked as read, and have a read date past the release date.

If it's found that people are cheating, they get banned.
Remember ARC, Jon. I've read books before the release date.

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post

Then there can be an option to allow ARCs.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #33
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
You still have no way of verifying that someone is "cheating".
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #34
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I think it's perfectly fine to trust other people's opinions and form your own views without reading/seeing something - otherwise you'd never be able to make any decisions about what to read/see.

I have opinions about, say Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey which I haven't read, and because of my received opinions don't want to read. I even have opinions about the healthiness of the relationships they propound, which is maybe shakier ground, but I'd probably bring it up in some circumstances.

What is never correct is mob-based abusive action. Probably not even if it is justified by the facts and you have read the book.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #35
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
It's also not realistic. You do not get men running around with no shirts looking for women to fall for them.
I do that all the time, but I'm beginning to think that my "dad bod" is holding me back.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #36
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
You're a braver man than I, even with the Big Grins!
My first thought.
Apparently he's never read Fritz Lieber's acclaimed CONJURE WIFE.
Bat things are coming to his bananas.

(Surprisingly, even the 50's witchhunters knew to leave it alone. Something their modern counterparts haven't figured out. The author's reputation may be shot but so far the book is selling like... Well, like bananas at a Minion convention.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-11-2017 at 08:59 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #37
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I have no idea if minions like bananas or hate them, but the whole flap makes me want to buy the book to support an author daring to write something different.

I was about to say something very derogatory about Twitter, but then I remembered that the world had witch hunts and McCarthyism even before the internet.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #38
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Not surprised. Lynch mobs and books/movies have been happening since long before the Internet and Harry Potter.
How about "The Exorcist"? People were in an uproar over that one. In rare cases, the uptights attempted to take the children of readers of that book. Come to think of it, my mother did tell me that I couldn't read that one until I was in at least 7th grade. Having later read the book, I think that decree was because she knew I was curious and had access to fathers and nuns at the time. I was going to a Catholic School.

To the OP: yes people can be idiots at times when it comes to anything that goes against their beliefs.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #39
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
The listing has to be added to the person's library, marked as read, and have a read date past the release date.

If it's found that people are cheating, they get banned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post

Don't forget about manuscripts I have read a number of manuscripts that later became best sellers.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #40
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
You still have no way of verifying that someone is "cheating".

bernie
Old 08-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #41
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I have no idea if minions like bananas or hate them, but the whole flap makes me want to buy the book to support an author daring to write something different.

I was about to say something very derogatory about Twitter, but then I remembered that the world had witch hunts and McCarthyism even before the internet.
From the review, it sounds like it is just a fictionalize history of the United States.

bernie
Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #42
gbm
Wizard

Sarah Hoyt does true justice to this issue.

https://accordingtohoyt.com/2017/08/10/being-free/

Looks like I should have been reading books and author web sites yesterday for enjoyment instead of happy spending hours reading court filing.*

bernie

Lawyers write some of the best fiction in court filings.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #43
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it depends on if the book really has redeeming value. For example there was a book pulled from Amazon some time back about how to molest kids. Obviously a person shouldn't need to read it before denouncing such a book.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think it depends on if the book really has redeeming value. For example there was a book pulled from Amazon some time back about how to molest kids. Obviously a person shouldn't need to read it before denouncing such a book.
The danger comes when you go from "I don't want to read that book" to "nobody else should be allowed to read it either".

If a book breaks the law, which a book containing instructions for child molestation certainly would (in the UK, anyway), the bookseller would be breaking the law in selling it. If a book merely offends you (as some books seem to offend some religious nuts), then that's a perfectly valid reason not to buy it yourself, but no reason at all to think that you have the right to let your morals dictate what other people should or should not be allowed to read.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-11-2017 at 12:39 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
There have been a few like that. The reason they are pulled has nothing to do with consumers feelings and everything to do with they violate the terms of service.
You can publish just about any subject you want. There are several subjects that you can't publish if they are for titillating purposes. (Does the subject violate the law in most states or countries? If yes, those are subjects that can't be published for titillating purposes.)
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote