Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #2626
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
The Duke's Gambit by Tracy/Teresa Grant is a recent (2018) title in the Charles and Mélanie Fraser/Malcolm and Suzanne Rannoch series, which confusingly started with the Frasers, then due to publisher issues continued with the same characters, but renamed as the Rannochs. And to make matters worse, the titles aren't written/published in much of a chronological order, so a "new" title may go back and fill in a gap somewhere earlier in the story arc. In spite of all the confusion, I've read and liked most of the titles in this series, even if I have had a bit of whiplash from time to time. There's more info and a rough chronology of some of the beginning of the series at Grant's website: https://tracygrant.wordpress.com/faq/

In any case, wherever it fits in the series, Gambit has dropped to $0.99 at Kindle US.

link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFMMJ4D

Spoiler:
Quote:
A Malcolm & Suzanne Rannoch Historical Mystery 15

Former spies Malcolm and Mélanie Suzanne Rannoch return to Dunmykel Castle in Scotland in response to a secret summons from Malcolm's grandfather, the Duke of Strathdon. The duke has a plan that will allow the Rannochs to resume their former life in Britain. Malcolm, worried that Mélanie could face treason charges for her past as a French spy, wants nothing more than to take his family safely back to Italy. But when Malcolm's sister Gisèle disappears from Dunmykel, Malcolm instead find himself doing the one thing he didn't want to do—risking a return to London in search of his missing sister.

Meanwhile in Scotland, Mélanie uncovers information that connects her own shadowy past with Gisèle's disappearance, which sends Mélanie off on a quest of her own. As they unravel the tangled threads, Malcolm and Mélanie learn Gisèle's disappearance is part of a dangerous game involving two old enemies and the highest reaches of Britain's government. The stakes rise still higher when one of their enemies is arrested for murder. From snowy Scotland to glittering Mayfair drawing rooms and the stews of St. Giles, the Rannochs unearth a conspiracy that could topple kings—and shake their family to the core…

"Shimmers like the finest salons in Vienna." —Deborah Crombie

"Meticulous, delightful, and full of surprises." —Tasha Alexander

"Glittering balls, deadly intrigue, sexual scandals. . .the next best thing to actually being there!"— Lauren Willig

"A superb storyteller."— Deanna Raybourn

edit: Also dropped to £0.99 at Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BFMMJ4D

Last edited by sufue; 10-17-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added Kindle UK
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #2627
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Poseidon's Gold is the fifth in the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis. It has dropped to £0.99 at Kindle UK.

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004NBZFPW

Spoiler:
Quote:
One of the stories from the bestselling historical fiction Falco series.

Rome AD 72. Marcus Didius Falco returns home from a six-month mission to the German legions. But trouble is in store for him: his apartment has been wrecked by squatters and an ex-legionary friend of his colourfully heroic brother Festus is demanding money, allegedly owed him as the result of one of Festus's wild schemes. Worse still, the only client Falco can get is his mother - who wants him to clear the family name.

Then just as Falco thinks things can only get better, fate takes a turn for the worse... The legionary is found viciously stabbed to death with Falco the prime suspect. Now he has only three days to prove he is not a murderer, to trace the real suspect, amass evidence and win a fortune...
Old 10-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #2628
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Speaks the Nightbird (Matthew Corbett #1) by Robert R. McCammon is $1.99 again at most retailers. GR 4.12.

I really enjoyed this one and gave it four stars.

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=fWzfAAAAQBAJ

https://www.amazon.com/Speaks-Nightb...dp/B00F9H59Z0/
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #2629
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Poseidon's Gold is the fifth in the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis. It has dropped to £0.99 at Kindle UK.

link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004NBZFPW
Checking to see if there were any more price drops in that series (the second half - I have books 1-10) I noticed the pre-order of A Capitol Death (Flavia Albia book 7) has been posted for next April:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Capitol-Dea...in%3A368165031
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #2630
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The Violet Hour is a non-series thriller-ish looking title (it says "Thriller" on the cover ) by Daniel Judson. It is free right now at Kindle US.

link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077GBTPKS

Spoiler:
Quote:
The only surviving son of a small-time career criminal, Cal Rakowski is a young man intent on living an uneventful life. A natural problem-solver, he earns good money as an off-the-books auto mechanic, working side-by-side with his friend Lebell in a Bridgehampton garage owned by a wealthy businessman named Eric Carver. But Cal’s idyllic existence is turned upside down when dark forces target the pregnant friend he is sheltering. And when his two closest friends are revealed to be more than what they claim, Cal’s innate survival skills are put to the test. Forced to do battle with a sudden onslaught of enemies that include a brutal thug, an abusive and powerful ex-husband, and a well-funded female assassin seeking her own personal redemption, Cal’s only hope is the darkness that has always dwelled within him—a darkness he must now unleash if he is to save the one life he has sworn to protect. Set over the course of three days—Mischief Night, Halloween, and the Day of the Dead—The Violet Hour is a powerful and unrelenting thriller in the tradition of such classics as The Postman Always Rings Twice and Marathon Man.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #2631
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
All repeats, but three of Michael Avallone's Ed Noon novels are currently free.

(17) Assassins Don't Die in Bed
amazon.co.uk | amazon.com | amazon.ca

(24) London Bloody London

(26) Kill Her - You'll Like It!

Last edited by Kieran Seymour; 10-19-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #2632
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post

amazon.co.uk | amazon.co.uk | amazon.ca

Thank you. Just one book left and I will have them all.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #2633
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and sequels are on offer in the UK, just £0.99 each, except for the newest one.

I highly recommend the first three. I wouldn't recommend the fourth (which I have read), as it's by a different author and not half as good as the originals.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #2634
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

Also thank you. I did not have #26.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #2635
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:

PS the middle of each of these links is actually the USA one. The link is fine; the text is all that's wrong. Thanks, I checked and already had all 3 of these. Someday I'll try reading one, to find whether I actually like them!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #2636
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Someday I'll try reading one, to find whether I actually like them!
That really needs to be the official GR New Year's resolution for 2019. Except most of us haven't got #1

Thanks for pointing out the link problem - now fixed!
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #2637
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah, I don't have #1 either. If I ever get low on the rest of my TBR list (hah!!) or just in need of a change, I would still start on #2.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #2638
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yeah, I don't have #1 either. If I ever get low on the rest of my TBR list (hah!!) or just in need of a change, I would still start on #2.
My OCD would never allow me to start with anything but a #1 in a series. But if #1 ever gets down to a dollar or less, I’ll throw them a bone and buy it as a thanks for giving me the other 29 for free. Then I’ll actually read at least one of these darn things!
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #2639
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The Lost Luggage Porter is the third in the Jim Stringer/Railway Detective series by Andrew Martin. It has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US. Be careful - there are two editions of this - make sure you get the one that is on sale.

link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKDB298/

Spoiler:
Quote:
The author of The Necropolis Railway and The Blackpool Highflyer “succeeds brilliantly at re-creating a railwayman’s lot” (The Seattle Times).

It is winter 1906 and Jim Stringer has been promoted from sleuth to official railway detective for York station. His first day on the job, the mysterious Lost Luggage Porter, “a human directory to everything in York,” tips him off to a group of railway thieves. Jim is instructed by his Inspector to infiltrate their gang and is drawn along into their plot to carry out a robbery and make their getaway across the Channel. Soon Jim finds himself swept off to Paris with the thieves, his plight made even worse when his wife is threatened. Can Jim get to her before the villains do?

“Page-turning, confidently written . . .” —The Guardian

“Riveting . . . Plenty of action, plot twists and moral quandaries help this engaging mystery pick up steam.” —Publishers Weekly

“Stringer’s third adventure has the same engaging voice and lively splashes of historical color as his others.” —Kirkus Reviews
Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #2640
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Two titles in the Spike Sanguinetti series by Thomas Mogford have dropped to $2.41 at Kindle US. I've read most of the titles in this short series and enjoyed them.

Hollow Mountain, #3
link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5ED8E2
Spoiler:
Quote:
Danger has followed the lawyer Spike Sanguinetti back to Gibraltar.

The disturbing question of what happened to Spike's girlfriend, Zahra, is still unanswered. He hasn't heard from her since she vanished in Malta months ago, when suddenly his phone rings. It's Zahra, but she sounds strange. She tells him that he has to stop looking for her and that if he doesn't, Žigon will come after those closest to him. Then she hangs up.

When Peter Galliano, Spike's partner in the law firm, is hospitalized by a mysterious hit-and-run accident, and a woman asks him to investigate the suspected suicide of her husband, Spike finds himself on a perilous path that draws him into international politics and leads him, finally, to the hollow mountain.

Sleeping Dogs, #4
link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V6FLXEA
Spoiler:
Quote:
Haunted by his failure to prevent the violent murders of two innocent women, Gibraltarian lawyer Spike Sanguinetti loses himself in his work. After much persuasion, he joins an old flame, Detective Sergeant Jessica Navarro, for a well-earned rest at a friend's villa on Corfu's beautiful northeast coast. There they meet philanthropist Leo Hoffmann, elderly scion of the powerful Hoffmann banking family.

Leo has just unearthed an important archaeological site on the Corfiot coastline, but the lavish celebrations to mark the event are interrupted when the body of a young Albanian bludgeoned to death is discovered at the site. When a local man is arrested for the murder, Spike reluctantly agrees to defend him pro bono in what appears to be an "open and shut†? case. Yet the more Spike delves into the facts surrounding the victim's death, the more he starts to doubt the official version of events.

As news emerges that a vulnerable young woman has gone missing, a frantic search begins, which sees the idyllic holiday island transformed into an arena of old rivalries, political corruption, and murder. Uncovering secrets so damaging that those involved will go to any lengths to protect them, Spike begins to realize that some sleeping dogs can never be allowed to lie.