Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PDF import issue

I'm having trouble with a PDF. When I view the PDF in Acrobat or Preview, it seems to be fine however at the bottom of each page this line appears in very small text:

"file:///D|/Documents%20and%20Settings/harry...20-%2006%20-%20Reap%20The%20East%20Wind.htm (1 of 309) [2/4/2004 10:56:19 PM]"

However when I import the file in to Calibre and click on "View" the same line appears in the middle of my page like this:

"The laboratories of Ehelebe had yielded a hundred strains of file:///D|/Documents%20and%20Settings/harry...20-%2006%20-%20Reap%20The%20East%20Wind.htm (1 of 309) [2/4/2004 10:56:19 PM]
The scratching and roaring ceased."

The same when I transfer said file to my Kobo.

This is a PDF version of a non DRM'd book. Is there a way to remove this before I import to Calibre or is there an import setting within Calibre that will remove? It reads the same way when I convert to epub as well.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The PDF was created by printing or converting an HTML file; that's the footer that most browsers include by default. (I have my settings arranged to not put headers & footers on PDFs.)

If you convert it to Word, you can remove the line manually (it won't be in the middle of the page) or with careful find-and-replace use; if you have Acrobat Pro, you can delete it from each page before converting. It's possible that cropping the page to remove that text will keep it from showing up after conversion.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
The PDF was created by printing or converting an HTML file; that's the footer that most browsers include by default. (I have my settings arranged to not put headers & footers on PDFs.)

If you convert it to Word, you can remove the line manually (it won't be in the middle of the page) or with careful find-and-replace use; if you have Acrobat Pro, you can delete it from each page before converting. It's possible that cropping the page to remove that text will keep it from showing up after conversion.
I tried cropping it out and it worked in Acrobat but it still shows up in the middle of my text when I import it to Calibre.

Last edited by Duiker; 08-04-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't think you can get rid of them during import to Calibre but you can get rid of them when converting from PDF to something else. It's in [Convert] - [Structure Detection] Remove Header and Remove Footer.

Unfortunately you will need to get to grips with regular expressions for it to work and I'm afraid I'm not the person who can help with that. There are posts in this forum you can search for help.

Another alternative is to look at the Briss application in the PDF forum Stickies. It is very good for cropping PDFs. I'm using it until Kovid releases the new PDF engine he's got in the works.

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-04-2010 at 04:59 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Duiker
Addict

I managed to save as a text doc and it worked.I've lost a lot of the formatting but it will have to do. One day I'll need to learn a little more about this...
Advert