Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Question just pre-ordered nook wifi - some questions

hi guys, i just pre-ordered the $149 nook. i was surprised they ship it internationally (although not the 3G version)

1) I've read some posts regarding the reliability of nook. it seems that it is fragile. any advice on how to protect the nook ?

2) is there zoom function for reading PDF? or it is better to convert to e-pub first?

3) how do you read news on the nook? must you pay for subscription? or there is a free online daily news in epub/pdf format?

4) do u guys read comic books in pdf format? how is the experience?

5) will nook remember last read page of a PDF/epub ?

my concern is zoom capabilities. or at least the text has to be at least as clear and "big" as a standard reader's digest book. (it's for mom)

any advice/thoughts greatly appreciated

Last edited by zzzxtreme; 06-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
the best way to protect is to buy a cover. There are a ton available on line and Barnes and Noble sells some beauty's, I bought the Chesterton for $29 its gorgouse and protects my Nook very well.

I dont' read comics so I can't help you out there.
PDF can be hit or miss, if you have to option to convert to e-pub I would

and yes it does remember last page read in e-Pub etc.

sorry I couldn't be more of a help on the PDF front but I hope my other answers help out
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
I was curious on the comic book thing myself. I was figuring the iPad would be my best option if I wanted comic books but if the nook can handle it...I'm guessing we still don't have color, but if I can read PDF comics on my Jetbook, I'm guessing on a Nook it'll be even cleaner.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
Remember that the nook is black and white so anything color will not be quite right. Manga, however, is pretty good on the nook. I've loaded some of my old manga that I needed to catch up with as well as Scott Pilgrim (not quite manga but B&W) and they look great.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote