Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #61
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Basically I just want an ipod touch which is twice or three times the size. Then BAM you have a VERY good ebook reader which also does internet, music, applications, email, games etc.

I think there is a huge market for these tablets, microsoft always feature them in 'whats coming up' advertisments. Complex tablets that do everything. Apple can implement it, but there may be some kind of technological hurdle? Battery life perhaps?
They always feature them, but few companies ever bother to actually make them and the reason is likely to come down to cost rather than technology.

If your average customer isn't really bothered either way about a touchscreen then given a choice a large amount of them would tend to choose a cheaper or higher spec netbook over a tablet.

Incidentally, for those of you who do want a tablet then just like in other fields such as mp3 players and phones, there are already devices out there even before apple goes ahead and "invents" the form factor, one example would be www.archos.com who seem to have a range of tablets with 5", 7" or 9" screens.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #62
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Form factor and ease of use is a huge factor though. I won't adopt new technologies until there's something that is very easy to use.

I'm keeping an eye on the archo's tablets, but they don't look to be what I'm looking for. Which is more something about the size of a legal pad that I can read and mark up PDFs etc. I'm keeping an eye on the Que for that as well--but would prefer something with an LCD screen honestly. I'll probably end up waiting a few years for tech to improve so I can have an electronic notepad, pdf reader that also can do video, internet, e-mail, pda etc. in a small, light package with good battery life etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #63
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Andy is a huge Apple guy, he's on the Macbreak Weekly podcast with Leo Laporte. He knows Apple gear very well but it's all guesses about the forthcoming tablet.

If it does come out, the best advantage for ALL ebook users is that the additional competition can only be good for ebook prices!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote