Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 02:31 AM   #46
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
It's hard to imagine that Amazon would have gone ahead with iPhone iTouch application that syncs with Kindle book account...
Wow! That's news. Now if they could just open up the Kindle store to the rest of the world...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #47
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
... Complex tablets that do everything. Apple can implement it, but there may be some kind of technological hurdle? Battery life perhaps?
I think it all comes down to money. iPple products have to distinguish themselves enough from any competition so as to bring the most bacon home. If it is not application specificity, it has to be with design flair,originality or to be the first one to try a new market. A crossover from touch to tablet would be the perfect thing.

So! iPple! When do wez gettit ?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #48
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
With the greatest respect to Steve (Jordan) let's not forget that the Kindle is not available outside the U.S., and whilst the U.S. sales may be critical for publishers and authors, it does not constitute the whole book market.
A good point. It might also explain Amazon's lack of Kindle-spread to the world market if their strategy is to use the Kindle specifically to grow the market for e-books, concentrating on the large market U.S., and once they reach critical mass, roll out SW apps that anyone's existing computers or other devices can use to read Amazon e-books (thereby rendering the need for Kindles, worldwide or otherwise, superfluous).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #49
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
For all of you who need to know, Steve Jobs made that statement about no one reading books anymore in a New York Times interview with the Times' technology guru, David Pogue, and he added that a significant proportion of Americans (I think it was 60%) had read one book or less in the previous year.
If that figure was correct, that still leaves 40%, which in any population is a large market ....

What's wrong with iBook ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #50
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
If that figure was correct, that still leaves 40%, which in any population is a large market ....

When capitalized it looks a lot like lBook, an existing eBook Reader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #51
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:

They already used that name. The previous generation of consumer laptops (before the Macbook) was called the iBook. Doesn't mean they couldn't use it, but it could make for some confusion, unless they called it the iBook Nano, of course.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #52
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
They already used that name. The previous generation of consumer laptops (before the Macbook) was called the iBook. Doesn't mean they couldn't use it, but it could make for some confusion, unless they called it the iBook Nano, of course.

The Bandit
I really must try harder to put some sarcasm in a few of my posts ....
Old 03-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #53
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
When capitalized it looks a lot like lBook, an existing eBook Reader.

Dale

Sorry, Sir - I was not aware of that one ....
Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #54
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Well that 40% would be everyone that reads more than one book, which is still a very low bar.

The market for eReaders is going to be people who read a LOT. If you don't read a lot you're not going to drop $200+ on an eReader.

The real figure you'd need is what % of people read X books a month. Not sure what the X should be, but probably at least 1 to really be considered to be in the potential eReader market.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #55
GeoffC

Don't you REALLY love statistics .....
Old 03-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #56
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
It is about the time..Given the Apple innovation hope it is not E-ink based but something of their own but better.. not copycating that they are experts in!
With much due respect... Apple copycats, and how. Not only that, they did NOT even invent half the stuff they are ascribed as having invented. They don't so much innovate, and renovate existing technologies.

So, with that said, it IS ususally true that they manage to come up with a shiny, compelling package, with a general "best of class" (especially in the USA market (but not Japan)). Though this usually happens after there is already a mature market, and they can then pick and choose amongst all the features that make something successful.

Take Casio for example. THEY innovate, while a lot of the industry copies them, then in some cases, goes further. Casio has had a lot of major firsts, especially in calculators, cameras, and video.

With Apple, they did not invent, but licensed, or bought, or otherwise lifted things like: the mouse, bit blits, sprites, hand writing technology, MP3 players, multi-touch, pull-down-menus, "the dock" (and everything else from Next/Open Step that Jobs brought with him (in a way, MacApple died the day Jobs came back and made it NeXT)), notebooks with built in cameras, and so forth... but they DO get recognition for implementing these things well (even with the quirks).

These days, Apple hardware is merely top tier PC hardware through and through. Intel processors, SATA drives, standard memory, industry standard GPUs, runs Windows natively, etc. Which is keen. What few realize is that Apple could easily deploy OSX onto most common major PC platforms and wipe Microsoft Windows OFF the face of the planet. YAY! I mean, ahem.

What Apple is likely to do:

Come up with a medium and large iTouch type device. It will almost assuredly be able to do wifi/networking, and anything the iTouch does now, including App Store stuff, but "more". They will allow tethering to phones (esp iPhone) so that you can have network on the go. Reading will happen on these things to be sure (it's been happening on iPhone since day 1 of App store for the most part).

Come out with other devices to support specific lifestyle uses in conjunction with Apple TV - possibly linked with the larger iTouch type devices. All your movies will sync to that automatically, for on the go media pleasure. Any type of media. Including *gaps* blu-ray

but they'll only do it after they study, and borrow from the existing crop of readers, media devices, and most importantly - so called netbook devices, and ONLY if they see profit in doing so. Those apparently 30% margins are important to Apple after all - profit!

exreader

(
who loves Apple *products*, and has at least 6 within 12 feet but who did NOT drink the kookade - they're just a well run business with polished products and aren't afraid to utterly abandon them when they want to
)
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #57
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'd definitely be interested to see what they could come up with. I've been debating between the Sony 505 and the Kindle as I want something with an attached store for convenience. But I decided to wait as the Sony store has less selection and higher prices and no wireless access, but the Kindle 2 is too expensive and the design is ugly compared to the Sony.

iTunes is great for music and the design of their devices is usually great so maybe their device (if one really comes out) could be the best of both worlds in terms of design, functionality and selection in their store.
The Kindle 2 is extremely well designed and solid - light years ahdread of Kindle 1. It's better than the Sony now, IMHO. Okay, so you don't like the iPod white look... but at the asking price, it's competive with other electronics, for instance, have you priced an iTouch lately? Geez.

In the meantime, if you hunt around, people are selling Kindle 1's for dirt cheap (claims of $100-175). Buy one now, and read. Wait on Kindle 2/3. Prices will come down, more units will come out. Etc Etc Etc.

I will for sure buy a used Kindle 1 in good shape as a backup unit if I find one locally for $100

exreader
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #58
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I actually already bought a 5 month old K1 off Craigslist for $200. I didn't see any cheaper than that locally and ebay auctions were closing around $235 when I was trying to bid on a couple early last week.

I like it a lot. The design isn't nearly as ugly as it looks in pictures. Only gripe people had that I'd agree with is the accidental page turns due to the location and size of those buttons.

No regrets and it will hold me over for a couple of years until their are better readers out (color etc.) at lower prices.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #59
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exreader View Post
These days, Apple hardware is merely top tier PC hardware through and through. Intel processors, SATA drives, standard memory, industry standard GPUs, runs Windows natively, etc. Which is keen. What few realize is that Apple could easily deploy OSX onto most common major PC platforms and wipe Microsoft Windows OFF the face of the planet. YAY! I mean, ahem.
Yep. The only reason I keep Windows around is because there are some games and some work-related programs I have that don't run well in emulation. I still can't quite justify the premium Apple charges for their hardware, though. The last time I bought a laptop, I also spec-ed out a similar MacBook Pro. They're pretty. I couldn't get quite the level of video card I put in my PC laptop but the hardware list was very close. Apple wanted $1000 more. Mac OS is nice, but so is Linux. I actually prefer Linux (probably just because I'm more familiar with it). So I have a Vista/Ubuntu dual-booter for a good deal less than the MacBook. It's not as pretty but I couldn't really justify $1000 for a slightly prettier case. Even if I really wanted MacOS, I could probably get it running on my laptop fairly easily as you say. I think they get away with charging that because most people don't find researching hardware to be fun. They want to go to a store and have the nice, helpful people give them something that works. Since Apple has so much control over the hardware, peripherals, etc., they can offer a much more seamless experience to the user.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #60
pjhaas
pjhaas began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Basically I just want an ipod touch which is twice or three times the size. Then BAM you have a VERY good ebook reader which also does internet, music, applications, email, games etc.

I think there is a huge market for these tablets, microsoft always feature them in 'whats coming up' advertisments. Complex tablets that do everything. Apple can implement it, but there may be some kind of technological hurdle? Battery life perhaps?
Yes, but I would use it for watching video and reading blogs, news websites and forums like this one. I would still buy an E-INK device for reading books.
pjhaas is offline   Reply With Quote