Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #91
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I requested a check from B&N because I refuse to buy from them since they don't want to let people download anymore. And who knows if they will change the drm again.
I consider this to be only partially true. They won't let you download directly from the website, they no longer support the Windows 7 app or NookStudy, although it mostly still works, the Windows 8.1 app works, and while the files are hidden, they do download epubs that can have the DRM stripped. I don't have any PCs upgraded to Windows 10, but I presume the Nook app is the same as the 8.1 app.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #92
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I consider this to be only partially true. They won't let you download directly from the website, they no longer support the Windows 7 app or NookStudy, although it mostly still works, the Windows 8.1 app works, and while the files are hidden, they do download epubs that can have the DRM stripped. I don't have any PCs upgraded to Windows 10, but I presume the Nook app is the same as the 8.1 app.
I have Windows 7, so no app for me.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #93
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even though they don't advertise it, you can download the Windows 7 compatible version from B&N Nook Windows installer. I thought it worked with wine also, but I don't seem to be able to log in.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 03-12-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #94
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Even though they don't advertise it, you can download the Windows 7 compatible version from B&N Nook Windows installer. I thought it worked with wine also, but I don't seem to be able to log in.
Yeah but since it's not supported you can't count on it working. They could turn it off at any time.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm still using nook for PC and it still works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #96
bgalbrecht
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Yeah but since it's not supported you can't count on it working. They could turn it off at any time.
Any retailer can decide to change their download policy or change their DRM at any time. If it works now, there's no reason to stop using it until it stops working. Granted, if you used to read via a Nook, and you've switched to Kobo or Kindle, the ease of use is certainly a reason to switch.