Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
mattrix
Enthusiast
mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: KoboGlo
Getting adobe DRM'd epubs when travelling?

This is really a continuation of this thread. But due to my poorly worded question that thread went awry.

It suggested take ADE with you, or don't get the book. But,

Assuming you need to use ADE and you have access to a computer with ADE installed and access to the internet.

Is there any problem with de-authorizing (<alt><shift>d) the computer re-authorizing the computer with your adobe ID, downloading the book and transferring it to your reader and then de-authorizing the computer again?

Or, even easier, is there a portable version of ADE, that works?
mattrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In theory, no. In practice, yes. "Public access" computers are almost always (and very rightly) tightly locked-down to prevent people making malicious software changes.

If you really must do this, simply take a laptop with you on your travels and use that. WiFi connections are available in almost all hotels these days, as well as cafes, railway stations, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrix View Post
TIs there any problem with de-authorizing (<alt><shift>d) the computer re-authorizing the computer with your adobe ID, downloading the book and transferring it to your reader and then de-authorizing the computer again?
You have a limited number of authorisations possible before you need to phone/email Adobe and get them to reset your limit. This number is for authorisations only. De-authorisations don't count, so you'll quickly run out.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
mattrix
Enthusiast
mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.mattrix considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:
De-authorisations don't count
Oh, I thought it was limited concurrent authorizations.

Question answered.

Last edited by mattrix; 07-28-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Getting adobe DRM'd epubs when traveling?
A WAG...

If you have an Android phone, maybe you could use Bluefire app to download the epub, and than transfer the epub from the phone to your reader?

My assumptions:

1) you need an Android phone
2) Bluefire can directly download the ADE epub (I think I read that it does)
3) the file is accessible after it is download
4) you can transfer the file using a USB cable (or maybe dropbox)

good luck.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, I thought it was limited concurrent authorizations.
https://www.thelightningpress.com/di...qs-help/#faq-6
http://www.lincolnlibraries.org/data...From_Adobe.htm

I can't find official confirmation, but multiple sources confirm that it's authorisations that count, and that deauthorisations don't reduce the count.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
https://www.thelightningpress.com/di...qs-help/#faq-6
http://www.lincolnlibraries.org/data...From_Adobe.htm

I can't find official confirmation, but multiple sources confirm that it's authorisations that count, and that deauthorisations don't reduce the count.
While that may be true, it certainly doesn't seem logical or user-friendly.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A WAG...

If you have an Android phone, maybe you could use Bluefire app to download the epub, and than transfer the epub from the phone to your reader?

My assumptions:

good luck.
According to this (admittedly busy) page, Bluefire is but one of multiple Android apps that can read ADE epubs.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
A WAG...

My assumptions:

good luck.
If you have an Android phone with a data plan (which you would need to download files), why wouldn't you just tether it and set it up as a wifi hotspot, so that you could directly download ADE books to a compatible wifi-enabled reader (almost every Sony device made in the last three years)?

{Edit} I see that I've provided the same answer as several others in the other thread. If *that* what was what caused the OP to say it got off-track, the answer to your question there, "Or can I install ADE on a Kobo?" Maybe not the Glo, but there are plenty of devices that offer direct ADE downloads, and iOS, Android and Blackberry all offer Overdrive Media Console, which again, facilitates direct download of ADE books to the device. So, if this is a critical function, I'd recommend a device change.

The answer to "is there a portable version of ADE, that works?" is YES, it works perfectly on my Sony T2.

Last edited by curtw; 07-27-2014 at 12:33 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
mattrix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

I don't doubt your correct.
But as Froide said, it seems somewhat restrictive and unfriendly.

Imagine if you could only access webmail from 6 computers, ever.

It is, after all, ME that buys the books.

Last edited by mattrix; 07-27-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If six is the upper limit, then it sure seems to me like deauthorizations are taken into account. Since 2007, I know I've authorized and variously deauthorized seven separate computers and four portable devices, and I've never had to contact Adobe to ask for more.

Last edited by curtw; 07-27-2014 at 10:54 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
While that may be true, it certainly doesn't seem logical or user-friendly.
Quote:

Doesn't this presuppose that Adobe is a logical or user-friendly company?

And don't forget, you are not Adobe's customer! The ebookstores are.

Adobe can do whatever they want, as long as they can retain the ebookstores as clients. Bad User Experience means people less happy with ebookstores equals fewer sales... but that affects the ebookstores. Adobe meanwhile is guaranteed that the ebookstores will continue paying for ADEPT DRM, because the bottom line is that ebookstores must use DRM of some sort or lose the big publishers. And ADEPT is the only option other than Amazon's in-house DRM. Now, Amazon has an incentive to make sure the DRM doesn't break User Experience.

Adobe has no incentive to care about User Experience.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
If six is the upper limit, then it sure seems to me like deauthorizations are taken into account. Since 2007, I know I've authorized and variously deauthorized seven separate computers and four portable devices, and I've never had to contact Adobe to ask for more.
I believe over time you get slots freed up. It is some magical formula that Adobe isn't sharing.

The limit is six computers and six devices (separate count) so assuming at least one of the computers was authorized or last used (which one? Adobe magic formula ) at least a year ago (I think that is the rumored timeframe) you were safe.

For someone who needs to temporarily authorize a computer, this is obviously a much bigger problem.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:54 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC, the six computers plus six devices is correct and Adobe slowly over time adds back available authorizations to account for new equipment (and can add more otherwise upon request). At least that's the gist of what I remember Jim Lester saying when he was with Adobe and posted here. He explained it more than one old post (of course things could have changed over the past couple years).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:38 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
mattrix - if this is an essential requirement for you, why not simply take a laptop with you on your travels?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote