Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #61
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'd very much appreciate that. The inking on a Galaxy Note 10.1 is exceptionally good, you get clear handwriting in any application that supports inking, unfortunately OneNote doesn't.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Surface RT has a capacitive touch screen, but not a Wacom digitiser. That would imply the level of stylus support which is available on devices like the iPad. Good enough for rough line drawings, but not handwriting. A capacitive screen has a precision of the order of a few mm; it's intended for things like pressing buttons, not fine linedrawing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #63
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Here is a good thread over on WPCentral about inking on the RT. It's pretty limited.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #64
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I'd very much appreciate that. The inking on a Galaxy Note 10.1 is exceptionally good, you get clear handwriting in any application that supports inking, unfortunately OneNote doesn't.
Ok. I just ran a quick test. Keeping in mind that the RT doesn't have an active digitizer, I was able to use my capacitive stylus to draw freehand.

The lines were not as straight as I was drawing them. Though speed of drawing seemed to help a bit. Maybe there are settings in OneNote to improve that. I then tried to handwrite some notes... OneNote accurately recognized my writing. At one point I switched mid-word between printing and cursive and it recognized it.

I'm impressed with the handwriting reco. Drawing in it may take some getting used to or configuring. I tried drawing in "Record Voice & Pen" and the drawing was a bit smoother and predictable. But noticeably less accurate than I get on the iPad.

At the very least, I'd recommend that you stop by a store that has an RT that you can try out firsthand. Depending upon what you'll be doing, the RT's inking may be "good enough".
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
At the very least, I'd recommend that you stop by a store that has an RT that you can try out firsthand. Depending upon what you'll be doing, the RT's inking may be "good enough".
Unfortunately Microsoft Stores only seem to exist in the US. I've never seen a Surface "in the wild" here in the UK.
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #66
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I'm glad I'm reading this thread, you just eliminated the Surface RT for me, since my daughter needs very fine line control for her designs. Is it better on the original Pro?

And, YES, you could say she MISused windows before. LOL She drives her brother and I nuts, as does her father.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I'm glad I'm reading this thread, you just eliminated the Surface RT for me, since my daughter needs very fine line control for her designs. Is it better on the original Pro?
The Pro has a Wacom digitiser and stylus, which is extremely accurate.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Unalterable fact #1 in Tom Sharpe's Universe (your mileage may vary, and that's okay): ebooks are for ereaders. Tablets are not ereaders. Gotta' have my Kindle.

That being said, if I were given the choice of owning one and only one of the following:
  • a PC
  • an iPad
  • a Surface Pro
I would unhesitatingly choose the Surface Pro. Pros rock. They are PCs in all but name. You can get work done that would take you upwards of forever on an iPad, and they're portable. But for reasons others have mentioned in this thread, as tablets they still have some catching up to do. They're big, they're heavy, and app developers still haven't recognized them as contenders. I'm hoping all that will change, but as long as I can afford to have two devices (not counting my Kindle), one will be a PC, the other an iPad.

I can't say I haven't been tempted. The Surface Pro is a very remarkable device.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #69
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Surface RT has a capacitive touch screen, but not a Wacom digitiser. That would imply the level of stylus support which is available on devices like the iPad. Good enough for rough line drawings, but not handwriting. A capacitive screen has a precision of the order of a few mm; it's intended for things like pressing buttons, not fine linedrawing.
My WritePad app does a good job of handwriting recognition on my first generation iPad. Have you tried the native handwriting recognition that's built into the Surface Pro yet?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Ok. I just ran a quick test. Keeping in mind that the RT doesn't have an active digitizer, I was able to use my capacitive stylus to draw freehand.

The lines were not as straight as I was drawing them. Though speed of drawing seemed to help a bit. Maybe there are settings in OneNote to improve that. I then tried to handwrite some notes... OneNote accurately recognized my writing. At one point I switched mid-word between printing and cursive and it recognized it.

I'm impressed with the handwriting reco. Drawing in it may take some getting used to or configuring. I tried drawing in "Record Voice & Pen" and the drawing was a bit smoother and predictable. But noticeably less accurate than I get on the iPad.

Have you tried writing with your finger on the Surface? I gave up styluses because they give my hand cramps.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #71
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any equivalent of Onenote available for Android? If so, perhaps an Android tablet with a Wacom digitiser (eg the Galaxy Note 10") might be a possibility for you?
There is an Android OneNote app, but it does not support Wacom inking, even on those tablets that have a Wacom digitizer, e.g. the Samsung Note series. A much more cost effective solution is one of the Atom based 32bit Win 8 tablets. Leveno, Samsung, Asus, and several others make them at around the same price point as a Surface (RT) 2.

Mine is a Samsung ATIV Smart PC and I love it. Not as powerful as a Surface Pro or any of the other Intel i5 based machines, but much better battery life and about half the price.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My WritePad app does a good job of handwriting recognition on my first generation iPad. Have you tried the native handwriting recognition that's built into the Surface Pro yet?
Yes, I have. It works extremely well, but, given the fact that I can type probably 10x faster than I can write by hand, I really can't see myself using it much .
Old 09-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #73
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Just think what you would have paid for a program that recognized handwriting 10 years ago. And now it's thrown into the Surface as a freebie.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just think what you would have paid for a program that recognized handwriting 10 years ago. And now it's thrown into the Surface as a freebie.
And it works with any program, because it's in the keyboard interface.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #75
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
"Just think what you would have paid for a program that recognized handwriting 10 years ago."

How about 20 years ago? We obviously didn't pay enough because the Apple Newton, which started selling in 1993, was a failure. Cool, but a market disaster. And yeah, the handwriting recognition was weak.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote