Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
IsabeauG
NKTB
IsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo
Thumbs down I have a lemon

I started having problems with my eReader only 6 weeks after purchasing it.

I contacted Kobo and they said that the port where the USB cable plugs in has come loose, and that I need to send in my eReader for repair. If it's unfixable, they will send me a refurbished eReader.

It's my belief that Kobo should send me a brand new eReader - it shouldn't fail after only 6 weeks of use. I always take very good care of my things - and haven't dropped it, banged it, gotten it wet or done anything else that would cause it to fail. I purchased the Extended Care Warranty as soon as I purchased my eReader - but according to the warranty, they are obligated to only repair it or give me a refurbished model. Needless to say I am NOT a happy camper.

I want to know if anyone else has ended up with a lemon. If so, what, if anything, has Kobo done to help you.

Personally, I feel like sending a snail mail letter of complaint to the CEO of Kobo, as well as the CEO of Chapters/Indigo - just to see if it gets me anywhere.
IsabeauG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
All companies do this. Brand new models can be sold, so they sell them, because revenue is how they survive. A returned and retested (=refurbished) can't be sold at full profit, so it's perfect to use to send out as a free replacement when that's needed.

Having dealt with far more stingy companies in the past, I would consider it a nice change of pace that they're immediately offering to fix or replace the thing, in essence they're honoring the warranty just because you asked them to. That's becoming more and more rare, which is depressing.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
if you bought it at chapters, try bringing it back there. At worst, they'll send you to Kobo for warranty. At best, you'll get a new Kobo and not be without for x weeks.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I returned a Kobo that had a screen problem (they called it the "etch-a-sketch" problem) to a Chapters and they exchanged it for a new one. I had the bill, but not the box at the time. They offered me either a refund or a new unit.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@IsabeauG: One thing to be mindful of is that refurbish doesn't = bad. I actually (like many) buy refurbish items new from companies like Dell and Apple (with nice discounts and associated warranties). Many times these refurbished units are better than new (having been doubly checked for faults) and if no one told you otherwise would appear new. I think people’s aversion is a little psychological rather than practical. If the refurbished unit was not in the same condition as your own I would then agree with your complaint, as is though *shrug*

Anyway as other suggested I tend to go back the the retailer first for warranty if that option exists as they often tend to be more liberal than the manufacturer (at least in my experience).
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I had the exact same problem. Took my KT into chapters with receipt but no box. They opened a new box and gave me a new unit. Took all of 5 minutes.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
I agree that after six weeks only, they should send you a brand new reader.
The store probably has a one month policy (unless you take THEIR warranty).
I also understand why Kobo would do that - to prevent abuse.
It's unfortunate that many people have to pay for less people who abuse the system.
I was getting "ghosts" on mine at one point when the Summer was very hot (I'm a canuck). Fortunately - it seems that the problem resolved itself without me doing anything.
I'm still a very happy camper - very in love with my Kobo.
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
IsabeauG
NKTB
IsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheeseIsabeauG can extract oil from cheese

Kobo said that according to the warranty, I am entitled to either getting my own (repaired) KT back, or a refurbished replacement. Actually, according to the warranty, I am entitled to either a new or a refurbished KT - at the company's discretion.

Anyways, they emailed me a prepaid FedEx label (for ground delivery only (grrrr)), and I sent it off on Monday - well padded and wrapped to avoid any damage during shipping. According to the tracking number, it's only just gotten to Toronto (I'm also a Canuck, from Vancouver) It seems that Fed Ex is almost as slow as Canada Post. Wonder how long before I get it back?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I've had the exact same problem, and I've had mine for 3 weeks. Please post on how they replace it or if they say it's not covered in the warranty. Except they're going to make me pay for the shipping one way
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Now I'm really wondering if you only get one of those shipping both ways dealios .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I had the same issue and had to send mine back to Kobo. They said they'd send a refurb but actually they just sent me a brand new one (and I don't have the extended warranty). Maybe I'd wait and see what you get back before getting upset.

I did have to pay for shipping, but it was just over $2 via Canada Post. Got to them in less than a week and had a new Kobo about a week later. Not a terrible turn around time; it would have been nice if they could have charged me a deposit fee and shipped a new one immediately, but not terrible in any event.

Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
IsabeauG
NKTB

Just got an email from Kobo. They said there's nothing wrong with it - they plugged it into a PC and then into a Mac, and had no problems with it. So that's the sum total of their trouble shooting? I am NOT impressed. They're shipping this original eReader back to me - I'll wait until I actually receive it and see how it works before getting really cranky. *grrrr*