Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #106
savy
savy began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bach68 View Post
Here is the italian translation for Duokan.
Copy to DK_System/lite/res/language folder and choose it from System Settings.
Bye
thanks ,will add it to release.
savy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #107
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Monthly update

Lite1105.2124.rtm released ( mirror , mirror2 , mirror3 )
md5:F3FA394580FE09D43D9E5B2214737543

You can update with WiFi:
0. Load Duokan from the boot screen
1. connect WiFi
2. (if it doesn't prompt for the update) System Settings >> check update.

Version:Lite1105.2124.rtm
File Size:43.18MB
Suitable Models:Kindle 3
Updated:2011.11.05

Updates this week:

New features:
Support the push function (mail sync service similar to amazon's)
Support TTS function
Support annotation features
Experience function (user can read the statistics of the number of times and read books, etc.)
Selected character in the reading interface can be translated, annotated, Shuzhai
The title bar shows the percentage of electricity

Improvements:
The system settings in the "WiFi transfer" option to move to the main directory menu menu

Fix the problem:
Fixed TXT format to read the search box, the interface can not be transferred out of sym problem.
Repair information in the download page book, click to download books without leaving after this page has been displayed "Downloading", the download is complete does not automatically refresh problem

Warm Tips:
Spoiler:
Push functionality to support dogear, dogear introduction: Dogear, the Chinese called "dog ears", is a very interesting consulting services designed to push the kindle site covers news, digest, magazine, reference information, embarrassments百科, watercress Critics and so much more interesting content. Content information rich! dogear In addition to supporting google reader push, from the large version, also supports the push to see more friends using friends can enjoy a large version of the push function, quickly go to dogear Sign up bar, enjoy push service O (∩ _ ∩) O ~
Dogear Website: http://dogear.mobi .
Push it to the edge. tts basically no problem, lazy blessed. Read the statistics is a very good stuff, so we understand the statistical power battery usage, is very good, beginning with the accuracy is not known. The remaining features I do not see a bad comment.

Support TTS function and annotation functions, you can bid farewell to the old look

Gibbons large versions of several functions are very good, so far as I am a night WIFI network to access only once, and then interrupted, Rom, so I can not understand the push function. TTS feature is very powerful. Annotation features more optimistic than before the old lot, you can directly view the contents of comments, see more of this in 0520 is not done. The increase of the "experience" function well, so users always know their read state. Be creative. Directly shows the power, very convenient, at a glance. Previously obtained by Aa key to see.

Individuals or more recommended update this version, although open to new features have to be perfect, but especially the push feature really is great potential for development and characteristics, to meet the future needs of the user's e-book depth.
There are several points on the push function improvements, one time and speed, you want the server to be more stable and fast, and the other is that since the push to increase the functionality, it is best to add a "sync" option, so you can see the progress of the more intuitive and easy to grasp; push function if the increase in server side format conversion function is better.
Annotations and word translations are very important to read the depth of support tools, I experienced the feeling is still pretty good, hope to remain stable.

Push function, TTS function has a. Practicality stronger.

1 major feature updates: push email, TTS voice engine
2 new annotation feature with Chinese input method, very smooth to the edge
3 system is relatively stable, an hour with no period black and white and keys out of pdf

Large version of the highlights and some simple tutorial is on this page

you can use this page to send your feedbacks.

Last edited by thomass; 11-10-2011 at 05:33 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #108
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Lite1105.2107.rtm released

You can update with WiFi:
1. connect WiFi
2. System Settings >> check update.

Version:Lite1105.2107.rtm
File Size:43.4MB
Suitable Models:Kindle 3
you can use this page to send your feedbacks.
Thank you for your usual prompt announcement thomass

I started the wifi upgrade download about 2 hours ago - before you posted this.

After about 90 minutes, I decided it was time to give up, as the screen still showed a down arrow at the top, & a "1" character next to the arrow.

Checking the "Download" screen revealed it failed at 73%
** I suppose it would be useful if the DK L team could implement a "progress bar" or changing numbers to show that the download is still going ahead?

In the meantime, anyone getting this update via wifi can periodically check the time at the top of the screen, & if it's several minutes behind, it means the download failed. The broadband connection here is usually ok, but of course there will probably be many routes the packets take, so I've no idea where the problem was.

The arrow & character 1 remain on screen until the failed download is deleted. I think a failed download can be continued, but as I've now installed from the file itself, I've deleted the bad download file.

Anyway, thanks to your link, I'm now downloading the update file via my mac. I suspect for some people, having access to the file will be more reliable than a wifi update.

I'll post back later if there's anything useful to mention

Ok, successfully installed the file, which reports as Lite1104.2045

The wifi icon is now at the left top of screen. There's a "Not I..." string adjacent to the wifi rays, presumably it means "Not installed" & comes from the failed wifi update? However, it won't go away, even after file deleted.

There is now a useful % charge indicator adjacent to the battery symbol.

There are now 4 "system" pages, & the language setting is now on Page 1, not as specified in the file contents "installation.txt".

You can now add "notes" or comments to a line in a book, but unfortunately, a press of the spacebar is not registered so notes aren't really practical yet.

There seems to be less delay in the audio player volume icon responding to a change of volume

I don't know what "1. mail sync as well as amazon" means yet.....

TTS seems to work.

More testing now........

** In fact, I now see that the Kindle can continue to be used whilst a download is in progress, so if you go to the "Download" page (via the menu) you can monitor the download progress, & even continue a failed download

I've just been testing the resume downloads feature, as DK L reported an update available already! The download stopped several times, but eventually succeeded after I resumed each failure.

My new version is 1105.2124

Last edited by tvjohn; 11-05-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: updates
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #109
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post
I don't know what "1. mail sync as well as amazon" means yet.....
It's a mail->kindle thing, like the way you can mail docs to your kindle via amazon normally, you need to register an account somewhere for the Duokan version of this service, I've not tried it as I still dont understand why with ftp and usb you'd ever want to use mail (unless you're getting someone to send stuff to you, I guess).

And in regards to the download, the download manager gives a good display on the %, the down arrow with a number at the top is just how many concurrent jobs there are.

It looks like they are very short on bandwidth for the wifi update tho, I get a 300k burst every 5-6 seconds, but it's incredibly slow compared to when I tried on a non-release day.

I'm finishing off english translations of most of the header images, as well as a new translation file and perhaps a better basic dict for En-En, since the default one is pretty limited.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #110
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I just installed it and noticed that there are still some longstanding basic functionality issues that haven't been fixed.

Here's a short bug list:

"Can not open this book" error message for valid ePubs.

Duokan won't open some ebooks if they contain non-English characters.
For example, Duokan displays this error message for Jellby's ePub version of Les trois mousquetaires, which passed epubcheck with flying colors. OTOH, it opened dpierron's version of Le petit prince without any problems even though epubcheck reports 120 errors for it.

Incorrect StarDict word segmentation algorithm implemented
When I tested the dictionary feature with German and French ePubs I noticed that all accented characters are apparently considered word delimiters.
For example, if the cursor is positioned before troisième, Duokan looks for troisi in the dictionary. The same goes for German umlauts and other special characters. This renders the lookup feature useless for languages other than English and Chinese.

PDF Reflow menu option still in Chinese
PDF reflow is one of the most useful features of Duokan besides RTL support. Unfortunately, the PDF Reflow menu option is still in Chinese. (See screen capture.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reflow.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	78649  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #111
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
..I've not tried it as I still dont understand why with ftp and usb you'd ever want to use mail (unless you're getting someone to send stuff to you, I guess).

And in regards to the download, the download manager gives a good display on the %, the down arrow with a number at the top is just how many concurrent jobs there are.

I'm finishing off english translations of most of the header images, as well as a new translation file and perhaps a better basic dict for En-En, since the default one is pretty limited.

Ah, I see, thank you. I suspect you're right about someone other than yourself sending files. Is that only 1 way, ie. emailer to Kindle, do you know? FTP is handy for example if you have something like an iPad, where you can transfer files both ways - your Kindle can supplement iPad's storage, & you could transfer photos to Kindle, all without a "conventional" computer

I must have been editing whilst you posted

Today is the first time I've tried a wifi update & I imagine their server's really busy!

Be nice to see your efforts on translation, thanks.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #112
savy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvjohn View Post
Ah, I see, thank you. I suspect you're right about someone other than yourself sending files. Is that only 1 way, ie. emailer to Kindle, do you know? FTP is handy for example if you have something like an iPad, where you can transfer files both ways - your Kindle can supplement iPad's storage, & you could transfer photos to Kindle, all without a "conventional" computer

I must have been editing whilst you posted

Today is the first time I've tried a wifi update & I imagine their server's really busy!

Be nice to see your efforts on translation, thanks.
===========================
Enable reading anywhere, mail-sync service will help people reading the blog, rss, and page collections on kindle.

check out the : http://www.readability.com/
it has a feature: send to kindle.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #113
tvjohn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by savy View Post
===========================
Enable reading anywhere, mail-sync service will help people reading the blog, rss, and page collections on kindle.

check out the : http://www.readability.com/
it has a feature: send to kindle.
Ok thanks savy, I'll check that.

I have registered with an email address, sent a test email, but nothing appears in the "Downloads" page.

However, a more serious problem that's just arisen is that I've never set a password for my Kindle, but after the new update install of 1105.2124, it's switched to standby & is now prompting for a password, so presumably DK L team has a default passord?

What is it please so I can use my Kindle?

Edit:

Never mind, I'm back in Kindle

Thank you

Last edited by tvjohn; 11-05-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #114
bach68
bach68 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Italian language

Italian Language for Lite1105.2124 version.
Bye
Attached Files
File Type: txt Italiano.txt (19.2 KB, 420 views)
bach68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #115
walklikegump
walklikegump began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Hi
I got a kindle a few days ago and was about to return it as there was soo much restriction on it.
Such as
Only audible audiobooks would work . ( I have lots of audiobooks )
The mp3 player is a single function blind player. Absolutely no functionality.

After a bit of searching I found some hacks but couldnt get to far with them as I needed things like launchpad .
I also found Duokan and thought it would be the answer to my problems but it seems it is not what I expected.

So my questions now are

Can I jailbrake the kindle ( again) now I have doukan? I had to unjailbrake to install doukan.)

Do I even need to or can I get a browser and mp3 player and audio player working within Duocan?

any help is appreciated.

Cheers
walklikegump
walklikegump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #116
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walklikegump View Post
Do I even need to or can I get a browser and mp3 player and audio player working within Duocan?
There's an audio player in the menu, press the menu button at the home screen, it will be at the 2nd bottom. The files need to be placed in the DK_Documents\music iirc. I think it should support more than mp3, as it uses mplayer under the hood.

There is no real browser at the moment - it's a reader; It sounds like you're looking for a tablet rather than a reader, perhaps look at returning it and getting something that better fits your needs.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #117
Serpentine
Evangelist

A few bugs/issues - I cant remember where we're meant to send English bug reports

Deleting or re-ordering dictionaries currently seems to break them.
- i.e if you delete a spare dictionary it both stops allowing any dictionary lookups as well as not deleting the dict. If you reorder them, it also seems to break usage until you restart DK.

There are quite a few strings in the settings/PDF viewer which don't have translation strings, could you run an export for all valid translatable strings?

The message about having no dictionaries installed is in Chinese, however there's also meant to be a translation, however it's not used at the moment.

What format are you using for your bmp's? Some are standard 24bil, however some seem to use 2/5bit channels - I want to replace some of the images with English translations (tho this requires reinstalling :/), however I'd like to at least follow the format that has been set.

The "Secure Screensaver" setting, if you go to the setting once it's already, it will give you the current password - it should require the current password to allow you to change it.

When going from screensaver -> secure password, the 'enter' key does not work, it uses the middle button from the 5-way pad. On the kindle it uses the enter key, which seems more logical.

The time/clock seems to be a bit broken in this release, it used to keep time correctly, now it seems to stop while connected to usb or something.

Last edited by Serpentine; 11-07-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: the clock
Old 11-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #118
walklikegump
walklikegump began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
It sounds like you're looking for a tablet rather than a reader, perhaps look at returning it and getting something that better fits your needs.
Thanks for replying Serpentine.

I have one already , I really need a reader so I can read in bed better and so I can have something that doesnt run out of power half way through a long bus journey.

Was just hoping for an audiobook player that was less restrictive, but no worries , I probably have 5 mp3 players around the house.

cheers
walklikegump
walklikegump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #119
tracy2011
Connoisseur
tracy2011 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bach68 View Post
Italian Language for Lite1105.2124 version.
Bye
thanks for your effort~
tracy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #120
savy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I just installed it and noticed that there are still some longstanding basic functionality issues that haven't been fixed.

Here's a short bug list:

"Can not open this book" error message for valid ePubs.

Duokan won't open some ebooks if they contain non-English characters.
For example, Duokan displays this error message for Jellby's ePub version of Les trois mousquetaires, which passed epubcheck with flying colors. OTOH, it opened dpierron's version of Le petit prince without any problems even though epubcheck reports 120 errors for it.

Incorrect StarDict word segmentation algorithm implemented
When I tested the dictionary feature with German and French ePubs I noticed that all accented characters are apparently considered word delimiters.
For example, if the cursor is positioned before troisième, Duokan looks for troisi in the dictionary. The same goes for German umlauts and other special characters. This renders the lookup feature useless for languages other than English and Chinese.

PDF Reflow menu option still in Chinese
PDF reflow is one of the most useful features of Duokan besides RTL support. Unfortunately, the PDF Reflow menu option is still in Chinese. (See screen capture.)
=================================
Thanks for your bug report.
Kindleuser@duokan.com is contact mailbox for all users. And en.duokan.com, we are trying to reply all comments.

A. Some of epub files are not supported. Re-building high quality EPUB files will fix it.
B. Will fix it later, no resources now.
C. Sure, will check and fix it very soon.

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf