Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Artisan
Miles away from ordinary.
Artisan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Is there a "Maze Runner" for adults? / Recommendations needed!

I recently got a Nook and have been pretty gung ho about finding books to read. I was excited when I read the synopsis of "The Maze Runner." It seemed right up my alley, until I read the reviews and saw a blemish at the end of nearly each one: GRADE 7 AND UP.

*sigh*

Has anyone read anything in a similar vein but with a more adult writing style?

Recommendations are welcome!

I tend to like Sci-fi / action / superhero / aliens / technology / hacking types of books.

I really liked the following:
Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines
Swarm by B.V. Larson
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
Playing for Keeps by Mur Lafferty
Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

Among many others but hopefully you get the gist.

Thanks in advance!

---
Currently reading: Neuromancer - William Gibson

On deck:
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Rebellion - B.V. Larson
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Last edited by Artisan; 09-10-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
You're already on William Gibson. I have to recommend Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash," possibly followed by many of his other books, lol.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Just because Maze Runner is a YA doesn't necessarily mean you won't like it. You liked Little Brother, and that's YA!
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Ex-Heroes is a great book. I believe Ex-Patriots is coming out shortly.

I just finished Swarm. Also an awesome book.

I'd recommend checking out the works of Nick S. Thomas and Michael G. Thomas (I think they're brothers). They write gritty science fiction and zombie novels. I'm currently reading Battle Earth by Nick S. Thomas and its an enjoyable alien invasion novel.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Artisan

I may give maze runner another shot in that case. I read little brother because I downloaded a bunch of Cory Doctorow's books from his website and sideloaded them.

Ex-Patriot apparently is coming out on November first - I'm almost tempted to get the audio book but I'd rather read it. I hate that the audiobook has been out for so long and we're still waiting for the print version.

Swarm has two more in the series so far, Extinction and Rebellion. Rebellion just came out, it's probably getting bumped to next on the list.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
I've read the Maze Runner books, and I think they are enjoyable for adults as well (very similar to the Hunger Games).

Also-thanks for the heads up about Ex-Patriots, I really liked the first one
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Artisan

Ex-Patriots is now available on the Nook / Kindle! I just happened to log in to my BN.com account and out of habit I searched for it, and I see that it's available.

I bought it on the spot!

The paperback is still only pre-order at Barnes and Noble, but is available on Amazon.

Last edited by Artisan; 09-12-2011 at 09:20 AM.