Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
Content Conversion

Ok I know there are a ton of converters out there. I also know that most of them are good at only one thing and there are trade-offs in using one tool over another.

What is the best way to go from point A (rtf, txt, html, lit, pdf)to point B (BBeB or LRF) right now? I know tools will refine themselves over the next few months, but I don't want to have to learn 30 tools just to put a document on the reader.

Currently I'm just formatting a word document (page breaks, font issues, justification), saving it as an RTF then uploading it to the reader through the connect software.

so .doc->.rtf->connect is my current path.

.pdf can go
.pdf -> PDFrasterfarian -> BBeB?
.pdf -> JAP ->BBeB?

But I haven't really been able to figure those out yet (I'm working on it). I heard that book designer is some sort of awesome formatting tool, but I dont' even know where to start looking that way.

Another thing I wanted to ask. I've downloaded some gutenburg books, but they are formatted Terribly for the reader. How do I reflow books to fix things like fixed justification (where there is a return at the end of each line to set a fixed length)?

Overall, I guess I'm just asking for help on how to get started. I would like to eventually do things like add proper footnotes and linked tables of contents but I'd be happy with just being able to set proper margins and fonts for now.
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The first place to start is the MobileRead Wiki Conversion Page

It lists the current converters and links to more information about them.

For me the best format for my Sony Reader (at the moment) is RTF. I use Stingo's MS Word macro for formatting the text. It removes the hard returns at the end of each text line and keeps the paragraph structure. It also removes excessive blank lines, extra blank spaces within the document, standardizes type, and sets the font size. You can also pick either left justified or fully justified paragraphs. I have now formatted over 100 books with it -- a lot of them from Gutenburg.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd offer my complete, 110% agreement, with the above. Stingo's macro does a beautiful job of formatting PG books for the Reader. Unless you need pictures or a TOC, RTF is definitely the easiest format to use for the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Vaporware
Not here yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
The first place to start is the MobileRead Wiki Conversion Page

It lists the current converters and links to more information about them.

For me the best format for my Sony Reader (at the moment) is RTF. I use Stingo's MS Word macro for formatting the text. It removes the hard returns at the end of each text line and keeps the paragraph structure. It also removes excessive blank lines, extra blank spaces within the document, standardizes type, and sets the font size. You can also pick either left justified or fully justified paragraphs. I have now formatted over 100 books with it -- a lot of them from Gutenburg.
Thanks a lot, I'll try this when I get home!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you do, please post back your feedback. All of the developers are looking for ways to improve their tools and all feedback is helpful.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
My suggestion for Word docs is to convert to LIT (M$ probably has some type of free utility for this, since it's their baby) and then use the lit2lrf utility. I have yet to try the word macro (probably should, since the Reader supports rtf natively, or so they say). You're right about the tons of utilities, but I have yet to find a working copy of BBeBook to try myself (kinda gave up, as the dev doesn't seem to respond to pleas for help and of the two copies I found one isn't compiled and causes problems when compiled, while the second is compiled it doesn't work). <- Wow, was that a single sentence? Eek!

Please keep us posted as what works best for you to save all the re-work in finding what works best for what. Thanks!

[Edit] Sorry about the tone of the original post, aftering reading it over again I think that it comes off as a little rude. This is not my intention, I've just been a little frustrated with finding something that I keep hearing is a great tool. BTW No one said anything to me, just policing my own actions.

Last edited by Azayzel; 01-22-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is a bundled copy of bbebook with libprs500. Accessed via the makelrf command. I haven't had the time to do much testing, but you're welcome to try and report bugs. I will help you atleast get it running.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer

Good thought Azayzel, I checked the MS site and found this link for an add-in to MS Word that produces LIT files.

I still favor the straightest route from source to final file -- if I get it into MS Word then I save it as RTF. (I have started to experiment with OpenOffice so perhaps I will find another route in the near future.)
Old 01-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #9
Vaporware
Not here yet.

I have tried both the script and lit2LRF method and the lit2LRF ended up looking a lot better, but both failed to adequately translate the formatting of my document.

I have posted my test documents in this post