Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
amuzulo
amuzulo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Read any webpage on your Sony Reader using Mac OS X

I just found an easy way to easily read any webpage on your Sony Reader if you have a Mac. This is especially good for really long webpages.

1. Navigate to the webpage you want to view on your Sony Reader. (I use Firefox, but this probably doesn't matter.)
2. Click File > Print
3. Click PDF > Save as PDF...
4. Enter the filename you wish to save as.
5. Enter the Title and Author (these will be used in the title and author indexes)
6. Copy this PDF over to the books directory of your Sony Reader PRS-505.

You'll probably have to magnify to M to read comfortably, but I get amazingly formatted text this way. I've only tried it out on two sites so far, so I'd be curious to hear how others fare with this method. Enjoy!
amuzulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I like PDFdownload which is cross platform and works for most browsers. I don't know how well its PDFs display on the Sony's though, and its servers seem to be down or overloaded at present.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
amuzulo
amuzulo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I tried using PDFdownload earlier today on one of my girlfriend's fanfic sites and it was unreadable on the Sony.
amuzulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you can also use instapaper + calibre

calibre has a recipe to download from your instapaper account
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
kf6gpe
kf6gpe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
If you install CUPS-PDF and do a bit of hacking, you can do one better and print directly to the eReader as if it were a printer (no need to save-as, etc). I've had that working for a couple of months, and it's great... posted elsewhere here about it and there are details on my blog over a couple of posts.

But you're right --- even the "save as" approach works quite well; it's how I started out.
kf6gpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
validis
validis began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
The best solution I have found is Bookit http://www.heorot.org/wordpress/inde...ftware/bookit/.
Its a firefox addon, when you are on a page you want to put onto the reader you double click on the book icon, It starts up in the background, creates a lrf, opens calibre and adds the book to the libary. You can't get much simplier then that.
validis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
kf6gpe
kf6gpe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Slick! I'll try Bookit on the office PC; that might save me quite a bit of time getting stuff from work to read on the train. Thanks!
kf6gpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac, pdf, sony reader, webpage