Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Flawless Cowboy
Flawless Cowboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Removal of Free Books

Well, I removed the free books that come with the Kobo using an SQL database editor. The device seems to be working fine thus far.

I have not checked if resetting to factory defaults will restore them or not.

It took longer to manually remove them than I had hoped. Of course, that may be due to the fact that I have never worked with SQL, nor databases, before. It seemed to be an interesting method of storing their ebooks in the SQL database instead of as seperate files. If one had the know-how, I would imagine they could code or script something to automate the task of removing the unwanted books.

I had hoped to find some clue as to why fonts do not resize in Calibre-converted ePubs, but have thus far had no luck.

Anyone else discover anything interesting?

-FC
Flawless Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Fc, it is not in 'Calibre-created' epubs. It is in SOME epubs, and is random as far as my experience---some epubs worked fine from a given source, others didn't. As I have said in numerous threads about this, numerous times, what Kobo told me when I reported it was that it was an issue with the Adobe software and they are working on a fix.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
font size and new firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Fc, it is not in 'Calibre-created' epubs. It is in SOME epubs, and is random as far as my experience---some epubs worked fine from a given source, others didn't. As I have said in numerous threads about this, numerous times, what Kobo told me when I reported it was that it was an issue with the Adobe software and they are working on a fix.
Hmm... that was an issue with epubs that had a font-size= directive in the stylesheet.css. The new Kobo firmware does what everybody else does and disregards the directive so re-sizing is not an issue. I've said goodbye to KoboBulkFixer -- for now.

Otherwise, v1.4 fixed one of my pet peeves where an ebook with an ' in the title claimed to be protected. I.e. Wind Rider's Oath and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. A bit annoying since Calibre would automatically change the title when I downloaded metadata.

On a somewhat related issue, you can now use the Display menu to select all books, your books or the built-in books. I had used Calibre to slowly remove the built-in books but this is a bit cleaner and much faster.

Otherwise, 1.4 is still as slow at processing new books especially when you add 450 at one time -- my Kobo had battery issues and I sent it for repair (turnaround was great and Kobo paid all shipping) however when it came back, all the books were missing so I added them all back in one swell foop. After an hour or so or watching the processing new content, I gave up and left it overnight. In the morning, it had powered off. When I powered it back on, the books were processed but the battery showed no charge left.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote