Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
thusband
thusband began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi From San Jose, CA

Haven't bought the Kindle yet. Unless, that is, the Sony Reader wins me over. I've been reading a lot about the Kindle and it seems pretty positive. Don't know much about the Sony Reader so maybe I should investigate it a bit more.

I'm a newspaper junkie and the Kindle seems like the answer. How about technical books on the Kindle? I've read there's not a lot available and charts and graphs don't work out well.

Anyway when my tax rebate arrives I think I'll put it to good use.

Tom
thusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings and welcome thusband! Enjoy!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi thusband and welcome to the Forum. I've got a Sony 505 and like it a lot. But the Kindle is pretty damn good and especially useful for newspapers.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello there! Welcome to MobileRead.

I'm a very happy Kindle owner and user, but I do recognize that I could have been happy with the Sony if I had seen it first. One advantage to the Kindle is the fairly quick availability of new releases in Kindle format at a maximum price of $9.99. But if you're looking at SF from Baen and all the free books from here, Feedbooks, and ManyBooks, either device will work.

Both the Kindle and the Sony PRS are challenged when it comes to usefulness in displaying PDF files -- particularly those with complex graphics or tables.

Amazon offers daily delivery of newspapers to the Kindle over their Whispernet service, which you can't get directly from Sony or any other seller of the Sony PRS. But, with only a small effort, you should be able to use calibre to download the articles from online new sites and then send them to the Sony reader via your PC. (Or so I'm told.)

You should definitely talk with some of the Sony users here at MobileRead and some of the Kindle users -- and then make up your mind based on the ways you think you'll wind up using an eBook reader.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
thusband
thusband began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks all for the welcome. Good information. This sounds like a great group.

Tom
thusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert