Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 3 + Kindle keyboard
Unhappy Dictionary update availability

Hi!

Let's say you bought a dictionary from Kindle Store. Its publication date is 2013. Then after years, Amazon makes a new version available on Kindle Store with an updated version from 2019.

The title is the same, but the version from 2013 is no longer available. You don't get a notification, email or message about the newer version.

There is no update menu for the bought dictionaries in the Contenct and devices part either.

Is this acceptable? Shall I buy all the newer versions once more?
ntamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I believe a quick chat with Kindle CS usually resolves that kind of thing to your advantage.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
ntamas
Zealot
ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ntamas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, thanks. Good to know.

I mean: it seems as though the dictionaries have nothing to do with each other. I just searched for them in the Kindle Store and surprised to find there is a newer version of those I bought years ago.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I ran into something a bit similar some time back. I had bought 7 books by the same author back when I had an Audible subscription so I also got the audiobooks for future use. It's a favorite author. This was all about 10 years ago before they had Whispersync. I think it might have even been before Amazon bought Audible but I'm not sure.

Anyway last year I decided to listen to one of the books and keep the Kindle version on my phone to sync with it and it wouldn't sync. It seems they've updated the audiobook to one that syncs but they've changed the part number or whatever they call it so I didn't get the new version of the audiobook. I still have the old version. I no longer have a subscription so correcting it was going to be expensive.

Support, I forget if it was Amazon or Audible, said they'd be glad to replace the current one for me at no charge but they couldn't do that with the rest. Basically they would do one as a favor. So no syncing beyond that one.

I don't really care that much. Since I got my Kindle I mostly read and only listen from time to time. It's nice if I can sync a book and an audiobook but it's not very important to me.

Anyway I wonder if the same thing happened to you, that they changed the part number when they did the update.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
ntamas
Zealot

Where can I have a look at that "part number"? Are you referring to the book ID?
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 02:24 AM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
It's worth a call to Amazon to see if they are willing to do for you...but in my opinion, you bought the 2013 dictionary (well, I guess if you want to be technical, you bought a license to use the 2013 dictionary. You didn't buy the 2019 dictionary. It's similar to if you bought the 2013 dictionary as a physical book--you wouldn't expect that the publisher/seller would replace it when they release an updated version.

In my opinion (again), I think the only updates one should be entitled to when purchasing an e-book are updates that correct printing or other errors in the version of the book they purchased.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
It's worth a call to Amazon to see if they are willing to do for you...but in my opinion, you bought the 2013 dictionary (well, I guess if you want to be technical, you bought a license to use the 2013 dictionary. You didn't buy the 2019 dictionary. It's similar to if you bought the 2013 dictionary as a physical book--you wouldn't expect that the publisher/seller would replace it when they release an updated version.

In my opinion (again), I think the only updates one should be entitled to when purchasing an e-book are updates that correct printing or other errors in the version of the book they purchased.
I have had dictionary update notifications (on a Fire)

Amazon's policy seems to be you can have the current version of any book provided the ASIN hasn't changed. However only error correction update are automatic, others need a call to CS
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sometimes Amazon only gives a previous version when you download again, even when the publisher has only updated. It seems the publisher has to also contact Amazon to enable existing purchasers to get newer version. Smashwords is automatic.
A later date dictionary might not be regarded as an update of the same book, unlike a novel. I've had 3 versions of Magician, no auto update, but going to my content to download via USB, the updates were flagged there.
So worthwhile checking your Amazon Account Content and also perhaps contacting publisher.
However not likely to be much difference to a 2019 vs 2013 dictionary even paper versions. They are also not likely to sell 2019 versions to 2013 - 2018 purchasers on Kindle.

Amazon doesn't seem to decide these things, but Publishers.
There is nowhere on the KDP upload to indicate what kind of update and updated content for an existing ASIN title is. CS has to be contacted by publisher. Also seems true to have series titles actually linked on the web page.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-05-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote