Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
I replaced the battery in my Note PRO (hint: easy job!)

My Note Pro is 2 years old and the battery needed to be replaced. I had to charge it every night and sometime it would freeze and I had to plug back again. I like my Note Pro but it's a shame that the battery doesn't last more than 2 years.

So, I had no choice but to replace the battery. Here's the one I ordered:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...3a0b4c4duvF6jG

Its capacity is 6800 mAh compared to 4100 mAh for the original. Same physical size.

I used the following Youtube video as a base for the disassembly :

https://youtu.be/UJULjRBTiqA

Taking the Pro apart is fairly easy. If you ever took an Ipad apart (done it several times), this is 10 times EASIER. Just take your time. After you remove the 2 screws, slide a metal blade around the 2 long edges and the top, then GENTLY pry the unit apart. When you will reassemble the unit, start at the top, paying attention to the little switch.

Once apart, you need to un-solder the 3 wires. If you look at my old battery compared to the new one, you will see that the wire colors don't match. I had to use my voltmeter and compare the 2 batteries to figure out the correct wiring sequence. I solder the wires and snapped the unit together starting at the top and never using brute force, being careful not to put stress of the e-ink panel. That went quite easily. If I didn't have to figure out the correct wiring, the whole process would have taken less than 30 minutes.

Power up the unit : SUCCESS!!!!

Here are a few pictures I took during the process
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro 1.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	187542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro 2.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	187543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro 3.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	638.7 KB
ID:	187544  
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Thanks for the disassembly instructions! (Just broke my glass screen, so I'll have to try and replace it.

Last edited by Markismus; 06-07-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Just out of curiousity:
Does the odd wire measure about 10k ohms to the minus wire?
(If you forgot to measure, measuring on the old one will be fine.)
I'm just wondering if it's a bare 10k thermistor or a data line to some chip.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Usually you get a very small PCB connected to your battery poles, that has three leads.
It's a protection circuit with at least one chip.

I've only encountered thermistors with battery packs and even then they are connected to the balance board.

I did find loose thermistors with Nickel cadmium battery packs from powertools and robot vacuum cleaners.

Last edited by Markismus; 06-07-2021 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:00 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Battery packs almost always have under/over voltage/current management ICs with integrated or separate back-to-back MOSFETs.
But they also might have analog thermistors, fixed ID resistors, digital one-wire, I²C interface, anything.
With one spare wire I'm kind of discounting the possibility of I²C.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Got a different battery for my Note Pro. It arrived yesterday. Surprisingly, it came with a connector on it. I don't recall seeing that in the image when I ordered it.

Of course, I could take the connector off and just solder the wires in place.

However, beside where the wires for the current battery are soldered into place, there is a white plastic thing which it looks like the connector might fit into. Inside that white plastic thing, it looks like there are three pins which might fit into the connector.

What do you think? Is it to attach a battery? Or does it have some other purpose?

Have attached several pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Note Pro 1.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	187603   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Battery with Connector.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	187604   Click image for larger version

Name:	White Plastic Thingy.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	187605  
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #7
Renate
Wizard

Yes, that white connector certainly looks like it is in parallel with the solder contacts.
If you have a DVM you can double check the continuity.
Before you jam in the connector, just line it up and make sure that you're happy with the sequence.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:49 PM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes, that white connector certainly looks like it is in parallel with the solder contacts.
If you have a DVM you can double check the continuity.
Before you jam in the connector, just line it up and make sure that you're happy with the sequence.
Thanks for the feedback. Don't have a DVM. But since your opinion on the matter concurred with mine, I decided to give it a try. It worked. Turned it on briefly before closing the cover just to make sure. It is now charging.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Connected.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	187606  
Old 06-12-2021, 05:14 AM   #9
Markismus
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth90 View Post
... Here's the one I ordered:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...3a0b4c4duvF6jG

Its capacity is 6800 mAh compared to 4100 mAh for the original. Same physical size.
The url doesn't work anymore and on the last photo I saw a new battery with around 5Ah, instead of 7Ah. Could you update the link?
Old 06-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #10
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
The url doesn't work anymore and on the last photo I saw a new battery with around 5Ah, instead of 7Ah. Could you update the link?
Just go to Aliexpress and type in "Boox Note Pro Battery" and you will find a few options for what looks to be the very same battery. For example...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...8c303157828a-0

As for the battery I got, which is 5200mAh, I got it here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...8c303157828a-7

In the title, it says it is 5000mAh, but if you look at the pictures of the battery it has 5200mAh written on it as was the case for my battery. And now, in some of the pictures I can see that it does indeed show a connector on the battery. Very handy.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #11
stevesps
stevesps began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
I have a Onyx Boox Note Pro and I bought few days ago on Ali Express a HSABAT 6800mAh battery it came already with connector.
I'd like to know if it works fine using the little plug on the mainboard instead of welding wires.
I will be grateful with anyone who already bought this kind of battery and share his experience.
Anyway this thread is really useful
stevesps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #12
stevesps

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesps View Post
I have a Onyx Boox Note Pro and I bought few days ago on Ali Express a HSABAT 6800mAh battery it came already with connector.
I'd like to know if it works fine using the little plug on the mainboard instead of welding wires.
I will be grateful with anyone who already bought this kind of battery and share his experience.
I attached the photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220511_190528390.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	193769  
Old 05-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesps View Post
The battery I bought off of Aliexpress to replace the one in my Note Pro also already had a connector attached. I plugged it in and then, before closing the back, turned it on to see if it worked. It did. I then closed the back and it has been working fine ever since.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:17 PM   #14
stevesps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
The battery I bought off of Aliexpress to replace the one in my Note Pro also already had a connector attached. I plugged it in and then, before closing the back, turned it on to see if it worked. It did. I then closed the back and it has been working fine ever since.
Thanks for the fast answer, I opened the Boox with the kit supplied with the battery, cut the three wires, unglue the old battery and put the new one by plug it to the connector and I glued with the strips supplied with the battery.
After that I tried to use the ebook to see if the battery drainage was normal and slower than before, finally I closed it cautiosly.
The battery seems last pretty long
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220515_203447155.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	919.9 KB
ID:	194051  
Old 06-01-2022, 06:31 AM   #15
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
I would suggest being cautious with HBSAT batteries. The battery bought from them expanded even faster than original battery did. Wrote a review saying this but the seller deleted the review from his listing. Now there's just 5 star reviews with people likely getting their bad reviews removed or nobody bothers to update the review when the battery expands a few months later.

Forgot to mention. I did end up replacing the battery. Found some smashed Nexus tablet and replaced Note's battery with Nexus battery. A year already passed since replacing it and this battery works just fine. Although the battery itself is a bit thicker so I will have to 3d print a thicker backplate in order to close it properly. (the cover hides it well though.)

Last edited by Neru; 06-02-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote