Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdecker View Post
I love the way you say "had to reinstall Windows" like it was just that easy.
If you have Win 7 you can do a repair install (aka in-place upgrade) without destroying other programs - I've used it several times (on other peoples computers) with a couple of exceptions (firefox was one), everything remained as it was - all the installed software, settings etc. No data was lost.

There's an ISO with SP1 slipstreamed at MS. Takes a while - and of course you have to download and apply all the post SP1 updates, There's a good tutorial at the Windows7 Forum.

I ran it once on my system, it didn't fix my problem - then I realised what wasn't working was a so-called feature - all I had to do was to turn it off and on again. But Windows ran quite a lot faster after the in-place upgrade.

Win 10 has something similar, can't remember what its called.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #17
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you have Win 7 you can do a repair install (aka in-place upgrade) without destroying other programs - I've used it several times (on other peoples computers) with a couple of exceptions (firefox was one), everything remained as it was - all the installed software, settings etc. No data was lost.

There's an ISO with SP1 slipstreamed at MS. Takes a while - and of course you have to download and apply all the post SP1 updates, There's a good tutorial at the Windows7 Forum.

I ran it once on my system, it didn't fix my problem - then I realised what wasn't working was a so-called feature - all I had to do was to turn it off and on again. But Windows ran quite a lot faster after the in-place upgrade.

Win 10 has something similar, can't remember what its called.

BR
What a lot of work. The equivalent would take 15 minutes on my system.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I really REALLY wish that people would stop adding to threads like this with OS wars. Lets keep these to the LOUNGE.

Just because some of you are Windows | Linux zealots just not mean that everyone else should switch to YOUR preferred OS.

Whats more you will never convince the other side to switch.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:04 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I really REALLY wish that people would stop adding to threads like this with OS wars. Lets keep these to the LOUNGE.

Just because some of you are Windows | Linux zealots just not mean that everyone else should switch to YOUR preferred OS.

Whats more you will never convince the other side to switch.
Give Me BeOS or Give Me Death!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #20
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Never. calibre is written in python, and Chromebooks only support Chrome webapps.
Chromebooks (and Chromeboxes and Chromebits) aren't just thin clients, and don't just run web apps. They used to, but now they can run Chrome Apps, aka a packaged app. This is an app that can run off-line, outside the browser, written in Javascript, and contains all the HTML, CSS, fonts and images necessary in its own package. They can access the file system, and make use of attached peripherals (e.g. USB and Bluetooth). Some of the more "exotic" Chrome Apps include photo and video editors, music and video players, system info apps, a torrent client, unarchivers, a web server, and even a video transcoder.

More on Chrome Apps here.

I can't see Calibre being ported over to Chromebooks; I doubt it's even possible. The entire program would have to be re-written, and in a different programming language. However, there's no technical reason I'm aware of that a Chromebook couldn't run an ebook database/management app if one were created for it. Web SQL DB is available to Chrome, and thus Chrome Apps.

Given Chromebooks' typically small local storage, ideally such an app would utilize cloud storage like Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive.

One huge advantage of such an app would be that it would be OS-agnostic, there'd be no need to create a Windows version, a Linux version, an iOS version, etc. If your OS can run Chrome, then it would have access to Chrome Apps. It could even be monetized (some apps in the Chrome Web Store have a price tag, and some require subscriptions).

As someone who's recently given up on Windows and Linux (and has never touched an Apple product), I find all the "just run Windows" and "just install Linux" arguments insulting. I have a Chromebook and two Chromeboxes. Chrome devices are real computers. ChromeOS is a valid operating system (it's a specialized version of Linux based on Gentoo, and the Chrome Web Store is analogous to the Ubuntu Software Center). The fact that users currently have to resort to remoting into a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer or to installing Linux to do task X or Y is not a reflection on the capabilities of Chrome devices, but rather a reflection of the lack of software available for their device.

Last edited by AndrewH; 04-22-2016 at 03:14 AM. Reason: stuff
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Given Chromebooks' typically small local storage, ideally such an app would utilize cloud storage like Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive.
@AndrewH - They wont run a database at their end, probably better to install full blown calibre on a VPN server, run calibre-server and access on your whatever via a browser.

People are doing it today with Calibre 2, with Calibre 3 the calibre-server will be significantly enhanced as per Post #3

Search for VPN in posts by chaley - he spelt out how he uses a VPN some time back.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@AndrewH,

Everything you said, I am aware of. And I gave the Cliff's Notes version in this thread.

Rewriting the world in a different programming language is not a viable goal. That is why ChromeOS is still a toy outside the browser.

"But technically..." If you want to feel insulted about people recomending Windows/Linux on the ground that no current ChromeApp fulfills their need, just imagine how insulted I feel when you: claim I am insulting you, then proceed to declare that really, ChromeOS is exactly what the OP needs, and it is merely a side point that "technically", no one has written a JS-based calibre port.

And all I said was that you'll need to get into developer mode and activate Crouton if you want to run python programs on ChromeOS.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Give Me BeOS or Give Me Death!
OS/2 forever!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And all I said was that you'll need to get into developer mode and activate Crouton if you want to run python programs on ChromeOS.
But what about running QT on ChromeOS?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #25
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@AndrewH - They wont run a database at their end
I knew I shouldn't have included that, that someone would misunderstand. No. The Chromebook would run the database, but ideally the files (the EPUBs and covers) would be in the cloud. Or not. They could be on a flash drive or external HD. Whatever. The database would be a packaged app, capable of running on a ChromeOS device without access to the internet. You know... kinda like Calibre on "traditional" computers?

Quote:
Rewriting the world in a different programming language is not a viable goal.
I believe I said as much.

Quote:
That is why ChromeOS is still a toy outside the browser.
Because people don't want to develop for the platform? Ok...

Quote:
You're not running python programs on ChromeOS, though. You're running them on Ubuntu (or whatever flavor of Linux you installed via Crouton). Which sort of defeats the point of ChromeOS.

The allure of ChromeOS devices (aside from the low price point) is that it makes the computer an appliance. Turn it on, and go. No fiddling with registries, config files, arcane terminal commands, anti virus, blue screens of death, defragmenting, updates, random system restarts, drivers, dependencies, missing packages, reinstalling, sudo-apt gets, zypper dups, maintenance, ad nauseam. There must be people who actually enjoy all that, but the vast majority of us do not. I gave up all that. I turn on my computer and within five seconds I'm on the internet being productive. Imagine if your microwave or car required such maintenance and bogged you down with minutiae. "Sorry boss, I'll be who knows how late... my car's in the middle of an update and will need a reboot."

Those involved in Calibre think it's the best thing since sliced bread, that's understandable and I'd agree. It is. They have no interest in re-writing it, that's completely understandable! Nobody is demanding or even asking them to. Would those of us using ChromeOS like to see an ebook management program we could use without jumping through hoops? Heck ya. They aren't just thin clients, and they're perfectly capable of running database software. It just needs to be created. We shouldn't have to resort to installing Linux to do something. That's akin to telling a Mac person to just get a Windows machine. It's the same thing Mac and Linux users have been hearing for years, "Sorry, if you want to play games get Windows". Are Macs and Linux computers not capable of running games, or is it that nobody creates games for those platforms?

I think when all the kids currently using Chromebooks in school graduate, and some become programmers, we'll see a huge surge in apps available for ChromeOS. Perhaps we'll see a ChromeOS ebook management app, perhaps not. There's certainly nothing technically standing in the way of one being created, however.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Except for the fact that developers can be productive in many programming languages on Windows, Linux, and OSX... but in order to develop for ChromeOS you are restricted to javascript alone.

That is very different from the work required to port a game from Windows to Linux, using a familiar programming language and the plethora of cross-platform UI toolkits.

Targeting ChromeOS for development is prohibitively expensive in regards to pre-existing skills. Hence it is a browser toy.
Maybe in the future ChromeOS will be popular enough that things change, but that is hardly relevant to this thread.

I'd just like to add that half the flaws you listed are Windows specific, the other half are imaginary. Forced reboots are a legendary Windows thing, arcane terminal commands are a hallmark of people comparing the ease of modern Windows to the complexity of last decade's Linux systems, and WTF defragging? That *might* be necessary according to your filesystem type -- ChromeOS doesn't have some magic no-defrag-necessary filesystem, it has the traditional linux no-defrag-necessary filesystem.

tl;dr
ChromeOS still isn't useful for an ebook management platform.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-22-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #27
AndrewH
Fanatic

Quote:
Except for the fact that developers can be productive in many programming languages on Windows, Linux, and OSX... but in order to develop for ChromeOS you are restricted to javascript alone.
Are you bemoaning the lack of choice, or is there some inherent weakness of Javascript that is not evidenced in other programming languages?

Quote:
That is very different from the work required to port a game from Windows to Linux, using a familiar programming language and the plethora of cross-platform UI toolkits.
I'm aware. I believe I've said twice now that I didn't think it would be possible to port Calibre to ChromeOS. It's fairly obvious it would have to be a totally new creation, written from the ground up. No small undertaking. Plus, let's all admit it, Calibre is bloated; it would best be split into smaller separate programs. I mean heck, when was Sigil rolled into Calibre and why?

Quote:
Targeting ChromeOS for development is prohibitively expensive in regards to pre-existing skills.
If you say so.

Quote:
Hence it is a browser toy.
I don't follow your reasoning. I listed several examples of Chrome apps that aren't just browser pages. A torrent client? A video transcoder? A web server? Chrome devices are full fledged computers, running a specialized version of Linux. ChromeOS apps happen to be written in Javascript. Somehow this makes them "a browser toy"?

Quote:
Maybe in the future ChromeOS will be popular enough that things change, but that is hardly relevant to this thread.
Isn't it though? The central argument in this thread is "go run Linux/Mac/Windows, newb! Your 'computer' is just a toy".

*snip*

Quote:
ChromeOS still isn't useful for an ebook management platform.
Of course it is. You simply have no interest in it, and that's fine. Just say so and be done. When someone asks about Calibe on a Chromebook just tell them the Calibre developers are never going to create a Calibre for Chromebook, and be done. No need to crap all over them and tell them their devices are merely toys simply because you don't understand the capabilities of those devices.

Feel free to respond, or don't. I'm done.

Last edited by AndrewH; 04-22-2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-22-2016, 06:04 PM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The existence of a handful of javascript-based apps does not elevate ChromeOS beyond the status of a browser toy. The fact remains, that it is very limited compared to Windows/OSX/Linux... simply due to lack of available software. You can do some things with ChromeOS, but there are lots of things you can't do, because all the existing software was written in some other language. And many of those things are highly complex or specialized and thus unlikely to be ported anytime soon.

calibre is an excellent example of such a program.

I also find it fun to respond to ideological, contra-practical ChromeOS evangelism by stressing its flaws.
Hence my repeated reference to "a browser toy".
Old 04-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This is fast approaching a religious fervor.

Please take it Politics and Religion.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #30
josh.p.23
josh.p.23 began at the beginning.

Device: android kindle app, FB Reader, several tablets
Quote:
I will note that the content server is currently undergoing a massive rewrite, which adds a browser-based ereader and will likely allow you to add/modify/delete books from the server.

So in an upcoming calibre v3, you might be able to do everything you need just by running calibre on a server and connecting via a browser from any computer even a Chromebook.
My Chrome-Book using fiance will be so happy to hear this. Am I able to tell her that she will be able to email books right from the calibre browser, too?
josh.p.23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chrome os, chromebook