Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #31
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I'm not print disabled, but I am disabled and can't travel to the nearest public library. Several people have suggested signing up for the Open Library. It sounds like an important public service.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:36 AM   #32
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I'm not print disabled, but I am disabled and can't travel to the nearest public library. Several people have suggested signing up for the Open Library. It sounds like an important public service.
Your public library does not have ebook lending in 2019? Hard to believe. Even the small town I work in is part of a large Overdrive consortium. By themselves it would be too expensive since technically it is still classified as a village with less than 4K inhabitants.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2019, 03:07 AM   #33
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Your public library does not have ebook lending in 2019?
Circling back to the OP's question, in addition to some of the other sources that were listed in the thread, this is definitely a source worth checking for everybody. Even if you live in a rural area, a lot of folks can get access to county or state library systems that will allow rural residents to setup an account and loan ebooks online. I've been pleasantly surprised the last 5 years or so at the growing number and quality of ebooks available for loan in my local public library system (Seattle Public Library).
Old 02-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #34
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
If your local public library does not have ebooks, there are libraries that allow non-residents to join for a fee and get ebooks. I know there have been past threads about it but I couldn't figure out what search terms to use to find a recent thread on the topic. I think there is also a list on the MobileRead wiki.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:34 AM   #35
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your public library does not have ebook lending in 2019?
I'm disabled and can't get to the nearest public library. There's a highway in the way. There's no accessible public transportation. I'm unable to get a library card, and qualify for ebook lending, unless I can come in and confirm a card.
Advert
Old 03-01-2019, 03:34 AM   #36
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
I'm disabled and can't get to the nearest public library. There's a highway in the way. There's no accessible public transportation. I'm unable to get a library card, and qualify for ebook lending, unless I can come in and confirm a card.
Is there no community transport (like Dial-a-Ride) available in your area? Or could you not ask the library if there is a volunteer who would collect you and return you home (after explaining the problem)?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:08 AM   #37
MarjaE
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Is there no community transport (like Dial-a-Ride) available in your area?
Not that I know of. I also get awful migraines from phones, so if they rely on phones, that isn't accessible.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:22 AM   #38
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Not that I know of. I also get awful migraines from phones, so if they rely on phones, that isn't accessible.
It was a thought. I know in my county in the UK there are a number of community transport schemes operating as many of the villages are no longer served by any commercial bus service, and people reliant on social care often don't have cars (or have access to one).

Literally, they operate like a taxi service booked in advance; either a continuing booking to get to a routine day service, or a one-off booking to get to a medical appointment. Usually, you have to be referred to the scheme by Social Services and they manage the bookings for you. They sometimes use commercial taxi services for these trips as well, but usually for one-off or school transport runs.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #39
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
If your local public library does not have ebooks, there are libraries that allow non-residents to join for a fee and get ebooks. I know there have been past threads about it but I couldn't figure out what search terms to use to find a recent thread on the topic. I think there is also a list on the MobileRead wiki.
I never did find the old thread I was thinking about. If you are interested in trying to find such a library, you could start a new thread asking about this. I know there are a number of people on MobileRead who pay to use Overdrive libraries in distant locations.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #40
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I never did find the old thread I was thinking about. If you are interested in trying to find such a library, you could start a new thread asking about this. I know there are a number of people on MobileRead who pay to use Overdrive libraries in distant locations.
Were you looking for the wiki page?

EBook Lending Libraries

Some states in the US have better availability than others, some even offer free library cards without requiring physical presence. (*) Granted, most do require to show up in person. And also listed are the libraries allowing out of state residents to join for a fee (via mail or internet).

ETA: To clarify - (*) some state libraries allow cards by mail / internet to all residents of the state without requiring showing up in person, but won't allow out of state residents to join even for a fee.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 03-04-2019 at 04:57 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #41
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Were you looking for the wiki page?

EBook Lending Libraries

Some states in the US have better availability than others, some even offer free library cards without requiring physical presence. (*) Granted, most do require to show up in person. And also listed are the libraries allowing out of state residents to join for a fee (via mail or internet).

ETA: To clarify - (*) some state libraries allow cards by mail / internet to all residents of the state without requiring showing up in person, but won't allow out of state residents to join even for a fee.
I was remembering a discussion about libraries that can be joined remotely - I think it was sometime in the last year, though I could be wrong about that. Hopefully the wiki will be helpful but if MarjaE wants more info maybe he/she can start a new thread to ask about other Mobilereaders' experience with joining libraries remotely.