Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #61
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
That is a Qt tab thing, not really something under our control and the image does not take up much space. The key point here is that double clicking on a Filename in the BookBrowser pane will always bring that tab to the front. So instead of relying on tiny tab names, you can simply use the full names in the BookBrowser to select your tab when you have too many.

Also shutting tabs is easy if you want to free up space to have a smaller active set of tabs you are working on.

For the next release I will look into enabling a scroll bar for the QTabBar and add the file names as tool tips for each tab.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
Hi,

when i'm opening multiple files on macOS Mojave the filenames in the tab were abbreviated very fast to only three dots (...) which is not very helpful. As far as i can see diesplaying the file icon on the tab consumes a lot of space. with 0.9.9 (i skipped the 10) the file icon want displayed and no problems having 10 tabs open. Now having 5 tabs open there is no information any more which tab is showing which file.

\/roni

Last edited by KevinH; 02-25-2019 at 08:49 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
To test this, I just added your complete list to my Preserve entities, then added those entities to my epub and used them and even mended and cleaned up/ switched to bookview and back to code view and they were all properly preserved.

So something in your Sigil ini is probably messed up as Sigil's Preserve Entities seems to work just fine.

KevinH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I wasn't able to reproduce this issue on my Windows 10 machine. Did you by any chance replace sigil.ini with a backup copy generated by an earlier Sigil version?
No problem here, either. Tested on Linux and Windows (7 & 10). All entities properly preserved (or un- as the case may be).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2019, 09:50 AM   #63
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Quote:
the image does not take up much space.
It does, as i didnt had the issue with 0.9.9 which didnt display the file icon again on the tabs.Even with 10 tabs i hadnt the problem to identify what file belonged to that tab. Now is haven an issue having only 5 tabs open.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Things change. We don't always like all of them. But we should try to separate personal preferences from issues. There's been some big internal changes in this release (0.9.11/12), so for the time being, we're focused on issues. The tabs work, the tabs close, and double-clicking on the filename in the Book Browser brings that file's tab to the forefront whether it as already open or not.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #65
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Tabs not displaying to whom they belong dont work. Full Stop. Why not just put them away? And its ridicolous saying thats my personal preference, dumbo.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #66
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If that is your attitude toward one of the developers who volunteers his time (me being the other) to create Sigil, you can get your support from someone else!

We have already provided you with a workaround and said we would add a scroll bar and tooltips to help for the next release. This "issue" is now closed to further discussion so that we can focus on more serious issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
Tabs not displaying to whom they belong dont work. Full Stop. Why not just put them away? And its ridicolous saying thats my personal preference, dumbo.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #67
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Starting Sigil and then loading an epub took 57.4MB. After editing the file for about 30 minutes, Task Manager reported memory use as being 155.1MB. Starting from calibre using the Open With plugin showed the same growth pattern.
Something similar is happening in my system with Windows 7 x64 and Sigil 0.9.12. Even worst, Sigil reported a memory use of more than 300 MB (when the epub is loaded the memory use is about 150 MB and after a half hour of working the memory used is about 320 MB).
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #68
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Does the epub you are editing have or use embedded fonts? As for memory consumption, 320 meg is nothing much to speak of. This could be due to font caching (thus my earlier question), image caching, backing store for currently open windows, etc. None of these are memory leaks per se. I also wonder what invoking a plugin does to the memory footprint to load an entire python virtual machine and some associated python plugin code?

Strange, running macOS leaks on Sigil.app does not show much of anything.

Would you please try opening a copy of Sigil and load your test epub and checking the memory consumption and then let Sigil sit completely *idle* while using other things on your machine for about an hour and then going back to your still open Sigil app and checking memory consumption again. Did it change, if so, how much.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Something similar is happening in my system with Windows 7 x64 and Sigil 0.9.12. Even worst, Sigil reported a memory use of more than 300 MB (when the epub is loaded the memory use is about 150 MB and after a half hour of working the memory used is about 320 MB).
Old 02-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Question for those seeing major performance issues: do you uninstall the old version of Sigil before installing the new? If not, would you be willing to uninstall Sigil, ensure that the Program Files\Sigil folder is completely empty (delete anything left in that folder with no fear) before re-installing the latest? Completely removing Sigil from Program Files (or Program Files (x86) if you use 32-bit Sigil) won't affect any of your settings in the least. I'm just trying to rule out the possibility that there are some old dlls or Qt plugins, or qt.conf files that might be causing problems.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I wasn't able to reproduce this issue on my Windows 10 machine. Did you by any chance replace sigil.ini with a backup copy generated by an earlier Sigil version?

If not, please open your sigil.ini file and copy and paste the following two lines:

Code:
[user_preferences]
preserve_entity_names=
preserve_entity_codes=
(Since the forum software will replace non-breaking spaces with asterisks, it also couldn't hurt to check with a text editor that preserve_entity_codes= is followed by the Unicode characters that correspond to the entities that you want to preserve.)
I'm not sure what is in my sigil.ini file. What follows the preserve_entity_codes is not exactly human readable. I'm going to try wrapping a code block around the two copy/pasted lines (with the added spaces in preserve_entity_names entries to keep them from vanishing). I did notice an * at the end of the entity codes where the & nbsp ; would have been found.

Code:
preserve_entity_names="& #160 ;", "& #8194 ;", "& #8195 ;", "& #8201 ;", "& #8202 ;", "& #8203 ;", "  ;", "& #8288 ;", "& #8658 ;", "& nbsp ;"
preserve_entity_codes=ÂÂÂÂÂ*    ​ âÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ*⇒ÂÂÂÂÂ*
This is a sigil.ini which has been migrated through multiple versions of Sigil but not manually edited.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #71
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Does the epub you are editing have or use embedded fonts?
No, it doesn't.

Quote:
Would you please try opening a copy of Sigil and load your test epub and checking the memory consumption and then let Sigil sit completely *idle* while using other things on your machine for about an hour and then going back to your still open Sigil app and checking memory consumption again. Did it change, if so, how much.

Thanks,

KevinH
I did what you said Kevin. I opened Sigil and I loaded the epub that I'm currently working with. Once the epub loaded, Sigil reported to be using 211MB. I left Sigil completely idle and after checking the memory consumption, Sigil was using only 16 MB!! (great, it was using nothing). I closed all others programs and started to work again in Sigil (with the epub already loaded). After working about half an hour, and after doing a S&R that resulted in an error, Sigil reported to be using 611 MB!! I was almost a minute with the message "Sigil not respond". I had to close it and open it again to continue working.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #72
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Wow just one search and replace really bloated things. The problem is we really have changed nothing when it comes to search and replace. For search and replace Sigil still uses its internal version of pcre 1. I think it is statically linked in (it is on a Mac). Qt just recently moved away from using the pcre 1 library to using pcre2 library internally for Qt QRegularExpressions.

I wonder if during linking the two different pcre library versions are causing a problem for windows machines?

Nothing else has changed for Find and Replace inside Sigil in a long time.

This is so strange!

KevinH

Quote:
No, it doesn't.

I did what you said Kevin. I opened Sigil and I loaded the epub that I'm currently working with. Once the epub loaded, Sigil reported to be using 211MB. I left Sigil completely idle and after checking the memory consumption, Sigil was using only 16 MB!! (great, it was using nothing). I closed all others programs and started to work again in Sigil (with the epub already loaded). After working about half an hour, and after doing a S&R that resulted in an error, Sigil reported to be using 611 MB!! I was almost a minute with the message "Sigil not respond". I had to close it and open it again to continue working.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #73
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I uninstalled Sigil and removed everything in the \Sigil folder, then reinstalled Sigil. When I first opened an epub, memory usage was 133.6 mb. After 5 minutes of messing around with F&R, it was 256.6. Another 5 minutes and it had climbed to 409.3, then 612.8. At that point, I let Sigil sit while I did other stuff on the computer. Memory usage for Sigil did not increase at all. Then I went back to messing around with my epub file in Sigil, but instead of using F&R, I simply right-clicked in the Code View window and selected Reformat HTML/Mend & Prettify Code, and watched as memory usage climbed to 804.2 mb.

Then I thought, "Hmmm...I wonder if it has something to do with the Preview window?" (which I always have open so I can see the effects of whatever I do in Code view). So I closed the Preview window. And guess what? Right-clicking in the Code View window temporarily increased memory usage, but then it dropped back down again. I did this a few times, then reopened the Preview window. Memory usage started climbing again. Could this be related to having the Preview window open as I work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Question for those seeing major performance issues: do you uninstall the old version of Sigil before installing the new? If not, would you be willing to uninstall Sigil, ensure that the Program Files\Sigil folder is completely empty (delete anything left in that folder with no fear) before re-installing the latest? Completely removing Sigil from Program Files (or Program Files (x86) if you use 32-bit Sigil) won't affect any of your settings in the least. I'm just trying to rule out the possibility that there are some old dlls or Qt plugins, or qt.conf files that might be causing problems.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:02 AM   #74
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
No, it doesn't.

This sound similar to what I reported here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315203 (Sigil & memory usage)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:09 AM   #75
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi David,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm not sure what is in my sigil.ini file. What follows the preserve_entity_codes is not exactly human readable.
Actually, the second entry, preserve_entity_codes, should be human readable, if you open sigil.ini with a utf-8 compatible editor, e.g. Notepad++. (For an example, see the attached screenshot.)
However, since your preserve_entity_codes entry contains lots of entries with an à character, it looks like your .ini files weren't properly converted to utf-8 files.
Did you by any chance skip the Sigil 0.9.11 update or did you install two different Sigil versions on your machine? If so, your .ini files might not have been properly converted. (I'm not sure if the Sigil 0.9.12 installer also converts legacy .ini files.)
If that's the case, you should also see entries with à characters, if you open the Clip Editor/Saved Searches dialog boxes.
If you also see à characters in the Clip Editor/Saved Searches dialog boxes, you might have to manually convert your old .ini files to utf-8 files.

However, before you do anything, please wait for an authoritative answer by @DiapDealer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	entities.png
Views:	102
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	169916  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote