Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #586
celticchrys
Enthusiast
celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.celticchrys will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2014 (1st edition)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
You might have to reboot your device to make vlasovsoft appear in KSM. And depending on the settings, vlasofsoft/coolreader might be hidden in the full menu. Try toggling between the short and full menu.
This was the problem. Thank you!
celticchrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #587
ameinias
a person
ameinias began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O E1
Ran into another issue..

Exit, switch and power off all work in nickel, but toggle night mode doesn't. (Might be because I tried updating the icons to a nice pack I found on here, although they don't seem to have updated - I don't remember if I tested it before.) I can toggle the night mode in a config file deep in KSM, but I'd like to be able to use that icon right in nickel.

I'm also getting that /mnt/onboard is busy message maybe 2/3 restarts when I try to enable USB. Pretty sure it started happening after I installed ksm_nightmode.

Is there anyway to enable USB in nickel again? Turns out I really like Nickle as a reader, but it won't recognize my books unless it can see there's been a USB connection.

Sorry if any of these have already been answered.

Last edited by ameinias; 03-12-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: clarification.
ameinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #588
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameinias View Post
Ran into another issue..

Exit, switch and power off all work in nickel, but toggle night mode doesn't. (Might be because I tried updating the icons to a nice pack I found on here, although they don't seem to have updated - I don't remember if I tested it before.) I can toggle the night mode in a config file deep in KSM, but I'd like to be able to use that icon right in nickel.
Are you talking about the nightmode for nickel? If yes, which nightmode? Do you toggle it with "edit nightmode conf.sh" (then you are using the external nightmode for nickel)? Or do you toggle it with "edit nickel conf.sh (InvertScreen=true)" the you are using the internal nightmode of nickel? If it is the first case the problem is likely with the toggle_nightmode icon. Try deleting it from within nickel, and then copy it again to the device. After opening the icon in nickel, exiting and reentering nickel it should start working.
If you are using the internal nickel nightmode, you cannot toggle it from within nickel. If the internal nightmode works on other devices as well as on my Touch with FW 4.12.12111, I am rather sure nobody does use it. I only found out now, since I usually do not use nightmode.

Quote:
I'm also getting that /mnt/onboard is busy message maybe 2/3 restarts when I try to enable USB. Pretty sure it started happening after I installed ksm_nightmode.
I cannot see how this could be related to the ksm_nightmode. You might find out with the ps command via the webinterface which file is running from the user partition.

Quote:
Is there anyway to enable USB in nickel again? Turns out I really like Nickle as a reader, but it won't recognize my books unless it can see there's been a USB connection.
How did USB stop working in nickel? Nickel is my preferred reader for epubs to on Kobo.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #589
ameinias
a person

tools / nickel diverse / edit_nightmode_config.sh results in 'unable to load /mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.ini' - I can see nightmode_conf_options.txt in explorer over USB while in KSM, but it is true I don't see a nightmode.ini file where it's looking for it, or in any of my backups.

it is tools / nickel diverse / nickle_config.sh I got InvertScreen=true working on.

Nickle stopped talking to the computer I'm pretty sure when I first installed KSM, though it could have been qFrotz or the package that's floating around for one-click KOReader/Plato, because I tried that before I found KSM, and I wasn't really checking book syncing while working with any of them. I thought the USB needing to be disabled before Nickel would show in the menu meant USB was always disabled in Nickel now. But even Doing the alternating boot directly into Nickle or Nickel without kmon, the eReader is still not recognized by my laptop while in Nickle.

The mnt/onboard/busy thing doesn't seem to be happening now.

If this isn't an easy fix I may just factory reset and start over, I did a lot of things in a weird order with this lovely thing.

Last edited by ameinias; 03-12-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #590
ameinias
a person

> !!!

Okay, sorry. I plugged it into a different USB port and it worked. I don't know why KSM could use the other port on cue but Nickel couldn't. I'm sorry I rubber duckied you.

Still no luck with the nightmode toggle but I'll the web interface when i get a chance.
Advert
Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 AM   #591
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
tools / nickel diverse / edit_nightmode_config.sh results in 'unable to load /mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.ini' - I can see nightmode_conf_options.txt in explorer over USB while in KSM, but it is true I don't see a nightmode.ini file where it's looking for it, or in any of my backups.
This nightmode is a separate package. It is not part of KSM. The main thread is here. There are a several of versions by different authors, I think the current one is this.
In order to make it run under KSM, you have to set [nickel]nickelpreload="/root/screenInv.so" with "configure" (of the KSM main page). Then you can toggle it with the help of the icon.

Quote:
it is tools / nickel diverse / nickle_config.sh I got InvertScreen=true working on.
Does this work for you as it should? I tried it yesterday on a Touch. Strangely the nickel home, and the setting screens are inverted, but the library and the books are not.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:13 AM   #592
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Is there a good way to troubleshoot why my ereaders are freezing?

I have a glo HD and a clara HD, and now both are showing this behaviour. they're both set up as mirror images of each other. At this point I am not sure where the problem lies. one moment they function, then i try to press something and it will no longer register. backlight stays on until i force reset the thing.

it happens while in KSM, also in koreader. i'm running latest official releases of KSM, koreader, the above nightmode, plato, vlasovsoft, and nickel.
I mainly use Koreader.
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #593
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

I have a glo HD and a clara HD, and now both are showing this behaviour. they're both set up as mirror images of each other. At this point I am not sure where the problem lies. one moment they function, then i try to press something and it will no longer register. backlight stays on until i force reset the thing.

it happens while in KSM, also in koreader. i'm running latest official releases of KSM, koreader, the above nightmode, plato, vlasovsoft, and nickel.
I mainly use Koreader.
If you leave wifi or usbnet on, you can use telnet or the webinterface, and try to find what is going on. However, I have no idea what one should specifically look for.

Another thing. In "configure" you can try to set in the section [general] preventfreeze=true, if this is not already set.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #594
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
There's one problem with koreader on KSM discussed here. It may be also related with your problems.

Only thing that is strange is that it happens to you when you're in KSM.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #595
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
One way I'd try is to see if e.g. the KSM web interface remains responsive while the GUI freezes.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 AM   #596
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
If you leave wifi or usbnet on, you can use telnet or the webinterface, and try to find what is going on. However, I have no idea what one should specifically look for.

Another thing. In "configure" you can try to set in the section [general] preventfreeze=true, if this is not already set.
I'll see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
There's one problem with koreader on KSM discussed here. It may be also related with your problems.

Only thing that is strange is that it happens to you when you're in KSM.
Maybe it's coincidental, not sure. strange indeed.
Thanks for the link, i've reset my glo HD and started from scratch, thought it was me failing at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
One way I'd try is to see if e.g. the KSM web interface remains responsive while the GUI freezes.
good idea. basically if i can still see it connected to my router, i know it's still 'active'.
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #597
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Hi tshering,
I did a factory reset and installed the newest Koreader and Plato on Aura HD using the one-click package. I wonder if I could achieve two goals with the installation of KSM 09. 1. Launch Koreader directly without (or set the delay to 1 second) going into Kobo interface. 2. As a result of the direct launching of Koreader, Kobo will never get a chance to "import contents", i.e. “process” changes on the external sd card. It usually takes a long time for kobo to categorize a new card and sometimes a few times if there are fils errors. Thank you for your time.

Update: I installed the KSM 09. Everything works well. Thank tshering. However, I could not find any documentation on how to configure the KSM 09 for my purposes: 1) if no action, Koreader, instead of nickle, starts automatically in 10 seconds. 2) Shorten the 10 seconds to maybe 2. I checked the options in KSM home, but have no idea how to make changes. The configuration txt file also looks intimitating for the ignorant like me. Is there a manual to consult?

Last edited by jshzh; 03-30-2019 at 10:08 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #598
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
How to uninstall KSM
  • select in KSM "tools" > "ksm diverse.msh" > "del KSM.sh" > "delete ksm"
  • the device will restart with nickel running
  • delete the folder kbmenupngs and .adds/kbmenu_user if you you like
How to disable KSM temporarily/intermittently or permanently
  • select "tools" > "activate" > "set runmenu settings.msh"
  • there you can choose between "always", "once", "never", "alternateNickel", "alternateMenu"
You can change this setting also manually by editing .adds/kbmenu_user/runsettings.txt

Another way to disable KSM temporarily
  • rename the folder .adds/kbmenu_user to .adds/kbmenu_user_disabled (or to any othere name)

Be aware that a Kobo firmware update, when installed uncontrolled by KSM, overwrites certain files needed by KSM. This causes KSM to be disabled. To enable it again install the restore package from the first post.
So to tap "always" means KSM will be permanently stopped?
"once"= stopped once at the next reboot?
"never"= always running?
"alternateNickel"=?
"alternateMenu"=?

What other icons need to tapped to execute these values?

Where to change the 10 seconds value?
Old 03-31-2019, 02:38 AM   #599
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
So to tap "always" means KSM will be permanently stopped?
"once"= stopped once at the next reboot?
"never"= always running?
"alternateNickel"=?
"alternateMenu"=?

What other icons need to tapped to execute these values?

Where to change the 10 seconds value?
"once"= run KSM once?
"never"= never run KSM?
"alternateNickel"=run nickel every second time
"alternateMenu"=run KSM every second time

As for the auto selection, you do it with "configure" (you might first have to toggle to "full menu" to see this entry). In the section [general], there are the keys ksmAutoSelectafter and ksmAutoselectoption (there you have the option to change the value to start_koreader).

Last edited by tshering; 03-31-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #600
jshzh
Addict

I am oblidged, tshering. You are very helpful and generous. With the autoselect, there seems no need to shorten the 10 seconds waiting period, which probably is a safer option than 1 or 2 seconds.

Last edited by jshzh; 03-31-2019 at 07:32 AM.