Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #406
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aascz View Post
I just got done jailbreaking my PW4 G00102, and stopped after the Install the Hotfix/Bridge step.
Is it advisable to register and update the Kindle to latest version?
Also, where to go from here, with MRPI/ KUAL?
Since updating requires reinstall of a bunch of add-ons anyway, I recommend updating now, followed by reinstall hotfix, register, reinstall hotfix (just to be extra safe) then finally installing MRPI, KUAL, etc.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #407
aascz
aascz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Since updating requires reinstall of a bunch of add-ons anyway, I recommend updating now, followed by reinstall hotfix, register, reinstall hotfix (just to be extra safe) then finally installing MRPI, KUAL, etc.
Successfully updated to 5.10.3, and things seem to be fine.
Confused about the sequence of MRPI, KUAL install.
From what I've seen, have to install things in reverse: MRPI first,then KUAL.
Not sure which exact path to take, since it kinda seems over the place.
aascz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #408
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aascz View Post
Successfully updated to 5.10.3, and things seem to be fine.
Confused about the sequence of MRPI, KUAL install.
From what I've seen, have to install things in reverse: MRPI first,then KUAL.
Not sure which exact path to take, since it kinda seems over the place.
Follow Step #8 from this guide.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086

The steps and files for both PW3 5.9.x and PW4 are the same for this.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:21 AM   #409
aascz
aascz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Follow Step #8 from this guide.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086

The steps and files for both PW3 5.9.x and PW4 are the same for this.
Thanks a ton! That worked perfectly. Am I supposed to see any KUAL icon in my library? I haven't installed any additional packages yet.
aascz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #410
hius07
Addict
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
New PW4s are shipped with 5.10.1.3 firmware.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #411
arooni
Zealot
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
New PW4s are shipped with 5.10.1.3 firmware.
Guess I should consider myself quite lucky to have picked one up before the new firmware update.

I feel like generally it doesn't pay off to be an early adopter but I suppose every now and then it does.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #412
starcrys
starcrys began at the beginning.

Device: KPW4
It's very sad but I got a copy of KPW4 with the version 5.10.1.3 out of the box. I suspect recent KPW4 sent out may have been flashed to this version...Maybe one can get the factory versions from website or stores other than amazon? But anyways, can't make use of the jb...I guess I'll just put the folder for preventing OTA updates and hope that a jb for later versions come out? Unless the folder for preventing OTA updates don't work for none jailbreak kindles?

Last edited by starcrys; 03-23-2019 at 10:55 AM.
starcrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #413
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrys View Post
It's very sad but I got a copy of KPW4 with the version 5.10.1.3 out of the box. I suspect recent KPW4 sent out may have been flashed to this version...Maybe one can get the factory versions from website or stores other than amazon? But anyways, can't make use of the jb...I guess I'll just put the folder for preventing OTA updates and hope that a jb for later versions come out? Unless the folder for preventing OTA updates don't work for none jailbreak kindles?
As far as is known, the OTA update blocker works for all kindles, jailbroken or not.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #414
starcrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
As far as is known, the OTA update blocker works for all kindles, jailbroken or not.
Okies, I'll put the OTA blocker folder in then. Any idea if after this I register the kindle and connect to the wifi, will this affect future jailbreaking or anything?

Additional info I got from my PW4 device
Serial: G000T611
Firmware: Kindle 5.10.1.3 (3372830002)
And it's the 32G wifi SO edition. Seems I see a few others are also in the 1.3 predicament too, lol. Unfortunately I'm unable to return it, cos I've imported this from overseas (it'll be a hassle and I'm not sure but chances are they'll still be 1.3 version even after a return) .

Not sure if this is the version directly out of factory or the factory flashed it to this version before sending them out though...Welps.

Last edited by starcrys; 03-23-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #415
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Okies, I'll put the OTA blocker folder in then. Any idea if after this I register the kindle and connect to the wifi, will this affect future jailbreaking or anything?
You might as well register and use it. There is no guarantee there will ever be a jailbreak for it. But a few months ago, PW3 owners at 5.9.6.1 or less were able to S/W jailbreak, so it can happen.

Quote:
Additional info I got from my PW4 device
Serial: G000T611
Firmware: Kindle 5.10.1.3 (3372830002)
And it's the 32G wifi SO edition. Seems I see a few others are also in the 1.3 predicament too, lol. Unfortunately I'm unable to return it, cos I've imported this from overseas (it'll be a hassle and I'm not sure but chances are they'll still be 1.3 version even after a return) .
Reports are that new PW4 now come with 5.10.1.3

Quote:
Not sure if this is the version directly out of factory or the factory flashed it to this version before sending them out though...Welps.
I don't think they ever bother reflashing new devices.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #416
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - - -
I don't think they ever bother reflashing new devices.
Everything that is going to be put on the device is flashed before the chip is put on the board; that is, while the chips are still on the tape reel.
No way are they going to go back to the programming step anytime before sale.
Even when they are paying the workers almost 3USD per day, the labor is too expensive.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM   #417
starcrys

Quote:
You might as well register and use it. There is no guarantee there will ever be a jailbreak for it. But a few months ago, PW3 owners at 5.9.6.1 or less were able to S/W jailbreak, so it can happen.
Er...So it means that as long as I can still maintain the kindle in as low a version as possible even if it is connected to wifi, when (and if) a jailbreak comes along, there is still possibility of jailbreaking then? Sorry, for all these questions, as I'm still quite new to all this.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 AM   #418
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Er...So it means that as long as I can still maintain the kindle in as low a version as possible even if it is connected to wifi, when (and if) a jailbreak comes along, there is still possibility of jailbreaking then? Sorry, for all these questions, as I'm still quite new to all this.
Kindle allows upgrades but not downgrades. Staying on the lowest possible firmware version potentially gives you more options.

If a JB is discovered for fw5.10.9, for example, then you can always upgrade from 5.10.1.3 to 5.10.9 in order to JB. If a JB is discovered for 5.10.1.3, though, and you already upgraded to 5.10.9, then there's no going back.
Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM   #419
starcrys

Quote:
Kindle allows upgrades but not downgrades. Staying on the lowest possible firmware version potentially gives you more options.

If a JB is discovered for fw5.10.9, for example, then you can always upgrade from 5.10.1.3 to 5.10.9 in order to JB. If a JB is discovered for 5.10.1.3, though, and you already upgraded to 5.10.9, then there's no going back.
Alrighty then. I'll do as suggested and hope for the best
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #420
macsek
eReader fan
macsek has learned how to read e-booksmacsek has learned how to read e-booksmacsek has learned how to read e-booksmacsek has learned how to read e-booksmacsek has learned how to read e-booksmacsek has learned how to read e-booksmacsek has learned how to read e-booksmacsek has learned how to read e-books

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 2 JP. Also kobo: One,Aura&H2O
Quote:
Reports are that new PW4 now come with 5.10.1.3
I have just bought a refurbished PW4/32GB and its sw is also 5.10.1.3.
I understand this is currently out of the list of sw versions where jail-break can be done.
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw4