Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
dpenev
dpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Likebook Muses
Likebook Muses

Hello,

Its my first post here. I have just received my first eInk device Likebook Muses
There is no section for it probably we need one? Or it is very similar to Mimas?

Anyways I have spent 2,3 hours with my device and my feelings are positive.
I am using only stock apps for now.

-Good reading (I have managed to install dictionary file for my language which integrates well with the original reader app)
-Good hand writing.
-Reading and annotating scientific PDFs is my main goal for this device and I would say it is kind of tricky on this small screen. It is not useless however. I have tried few different PDFs and some are more responsive other not that responsive. It doesn't directly relates with the size as one 31MB file is more responsive compared with another much smaller. Probably it depends of the amount of pictures. Still don't know. One thing bothers me however. If I write some handwritten note in the PDF file the page turning ahead and back gets disturbed around this note. I have to tap multiple times to turn the page . Sometimes sweeping works but taping does not. This happens in the all "Typesetting" modes allowing hand writing. Does someone on Muses or Mimas has the same?

Forgot to say that I am on the latest firmware for the Muses.
Is there an official bug tracker for those devices?
dpenev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Airwall
Airwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animalsAirwall is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Likebook Muses, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage
My first post too. I believe the Muses is similar to the Mars device except there's no sdcard and has more built-in memory https://youtu.be/7gn1KSkbKR0 is a comparison video.

I haven't messed with the hand-writing a lot, I bought mine because the kobo aura one was being depreciated. As an ereader, I love it. I've side loaded brave browser and moon reader on there and it's great for reading. The lighting is more even than my aura one. I use moon reader to connect to my synology running cops with my personal library and import books with no issues. The usb-c cable it came with is junk so if you can't connect to your computer, try a different cable. The boyue launcher is junk too, haven't found one I really like with e-ink, but at least you can load launchers.

I'd say it's the perfect ereading device but if you have a mars it's pretty much the same thing without expandable memory and usb-c.
Airwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
dpenev
dpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animalsdpenev is kind to children and small, furry animals

Hi airwall,

Did you download the moonreader + apk from somewhere and installed it manually?
Did you install the latest release?
I was not able to install google play store app on my muses. I tried the method they suggest for Mars and Mimas but both failed. The seller told me that the next muses update will solve this.

Sent from my MI NOTE Pro using Tapatalk
dpenev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
billitone
billitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: likebook, kobo
New Muses user here, mainly interested in its hand-writing app, which I found is good.
Book reading is also good as I can use my usual Moon+ Reader.
Switching between both is not a straight forward process, I think it is better if Boyue's Notes app is available as a separate app rather than inside Boyue OS.

Due to that, I am still deciding between using Boyue and Nova as default home. Using Nova, home screen is dark and I can't seem to change the background image to something bright. Tried few color background app, but to no avail.

I wonder if anyone has managed to change default font, not only sideload font?
I suspect it requires root access, but I also have not found how to do so.
billitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
truzz82
truzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animalstruzz82 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by billitone View Post
Using Nova, home screen is dark and I can't seem to change the background image to something bright. Tried few color background app, but to no avail.
You can change the background on Nova by using a fullscreen KWGT widget. The process isn't really obvious, and it's kind of time consuming, but there are plenty of KWGT guides on youtube. In case you're wondering it doesn't consume that much battery: I lose 1% battery overnight with wifi off, but it really depends on how you build your widget(s). The app is called KWGT Kustom Widget Maker on the Play Store.

This is my current homescreen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_60321.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	597.9 KB
ID:	172704  
truzz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
billitone
billitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animalsbillitone is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: likebook, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by truzz82 View Post
You can change the background on Nova by using a fullscreen KWGT widget. The process isn't really obvious, and it's kind of time consuming, but there are plenty of KWGT guides on youtube. In case you're wondering it doesn't consume that much battery: I lose 1% battery overnight with wifi off, but it really depends on how you build your widget(s). The app is called KWGT Kustom Widget Maker on the Play Store.

Thank you.

Now that you reminded me, I used to have KWGT widget and liked it alot on my android phone, but after sometimes I just burried it somewhere.
Installed it on my likebook muses, will try to make one good full screen widget and see what I can come up with.
billitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
lordhardware
lordhardware began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Lifebook Muses
Hi all, just got my new Muses and out of the box I noticed a few things.

1. The unit turns on when plugged in, even if you 'power off' the devoce, when charging it will just turn straight back on. Don't know how to resolve this.

2. Battery life seems to be crazy bad on my unit, not sure if i'm doing things wrong but it drops battery life as fast as my Galaxy s9 while wifi is on... surely this is not right right?

3. There are a lot of launch settings for apps, A2 mode, screen refresh rate, Royal mode. I can't seem to make heads nor tails of how these all affect the result in apps (asside from A2 of course)

Anyone got some tips?
lordhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
yar57
yar57 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhardware View Post
Hi all, just got my new Muses and out of the box I noticed a few things.

1. The unit turns on when plugged in, even if you 'power off' the devoce, when charging it will just turn straight back on. Don't know how to resolve this.

2. Battery life seems to be crazy bad on my unit, not sure if i'm doing things wrong but it drops battery life as fast as my Galaxy s9 while wifi is on... surely this is not right right?

3. There are a lot of launch settings for apps, A2 mode, screen refresh rate, Royal mode. I can't seem to make heads nor tails of how these all affect the result in apps (asside from A2 of course)

Anyone got some tips?
1. My Muses performs the same way. It turns on when charging cable is first inserted. I am able via the bottom button to turn it off. Once charging cable is removed it turns back on again.

2. I get about 4 to 5 days of battery life using mostly Notes and Books. I am very sparing on WiFi usage because mine seems to lose about 1% of power a minute when WiFi is active.

3. Haven't toggled any of those other than A2, so can't comment on what those do.
yar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:19 AM   #9
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
It's regal and not royal also this reddit comment explains it well.

The "Regal" page refresh scheme uses a proprietary chipset (that's not in my Boox Note) to do a "partial" page refresh. In other words, it doesn't refresh everything on the screen and usually refreshes faster. The algorithms used to control the chip are proprietary too and may be different from manufacturer to manufacturer (Regal is used in Kindles, Kobos, and Nook Glowlights among others). A2 does a faster page refresh by utilizing "dithering". It effectively lowers the resolution to speed things up. It does tend to leave an "afterimage" over time and **maybe** that's what the "Bleaching" function does (clean up the old pixels). I don't know since my Note doesn't have that either. I have to turn off A2, do page refresh, and then turn it back on if **I** want to "clean" a page. [Here's a good overview](https://goodereader.com/blog/e-paper...guarded-secret) of Regal and A2 refresh. [And here's probably **more** information than you need](https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-93396) about eink "dithering" and A2 mode.
https://reddit.com/r/ereader/comment...yk9f?context=3

Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
el.alex78
el.alex78 began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Likebook Muses
Go for this youtube video and you are going to enable the google play store:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzD_nxuLUu0[url]

I hope it helps you.

Cheers!!
el.alex78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
Merithyn
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by truzz82 View Post

I managed to install Nova launcher and KWGT and then proceeded with adding kwgt widget with a lot of stacked items on it (image, text with app launch action etc...) but I cannot resize it to full-screen in Nova launcher. There is always a black stripe on the bottom where there used to be quick launch icons.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merithyn View Post
I managed to install Nova launcher and KWGT and then proceeded with adding kwgt widget with a lot of stacked items on it (image, text with app launch action etc...) but I cannot resize it to full-screen in Nova launcher. There is always a black stripe on the bottom where there used to be quick launch icons.
Is that not the dock that you have no icons on? Did you disable the dock in nova?
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
ilyats
Connoisseur
ilyats doesn't litterilyats doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook Muses T78D
In my experience, exporting of drawings from the default Notes Apps on Muses in picture format is buggy and my destroy your notes. (Happily for me there wasn't anything really important there.)
ilyats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:01 AM   #14
raghavian
raghavian began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Muses, Nook Simple Touch
Hey Fellow Musers,

New to the forum and just bought a Likebook Muses as well. Has anyone faced issues with the pen? It starts writing well before there is contact with the screen, like about 10-15mm away. I changed the nibs and still the same issue.
raghavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
I see a lot of people who have just bought Muses'. Which seems odd to me, since the Ares just came out.

Is there a reason for preferring the Muses over the Ares?
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote