Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm going to wait an see if a new Kob does come out in the fall. I'm in no hurry for a new Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:18 AM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I think the elipsa does have the orange light, but not 100% sure.
No, the Elipsa has only white LEDs.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:23 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm going to wait an see if a new Kob does come out in the fall. I'm in no hurry for a new Reader.
Yeah, same.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:15 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, same.
But if I did need anew Reader now, I would go for the Forma.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #20
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
Thank you for confirming the white lighting.
Sad though.
I would expect Kobo to know better after using blue-less lighting in their previous devices.

BTW I am also in no hurry for a new reader, but I don't want to miss a possible opportunity. I guess I will monitor the stock of Forma in my region and watch out for the possible new one :-)

P

Last edited by pavelh; 06-03-2021 at 02:33 PM. Reason: clarity
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:13 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelh View Post
I would expect Kobo to know better after using blue-less lighting in their previous devices.
Kobo is not particularly successful in terms of even lighting.
6 inches is okay, 7 inches I do not know, 8 inches was only usable by me in landscape format.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #22
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Kobo is not particularly successful in terms of even lighting.
6 inches is okay, 7 inches I do not know, 8 inches was only usable by me in landscape format.
That is not a good news. I've heard about it, but so far, I have only used Clara HD and the side lighting is ok. I will try to find some videos etc. on the net though.
Thank you for pointing this out!

I am not sure I would mind this much though. I don't know... I assume there is no way to do side lighting evenly on such a large screen.

I don't think I have many choices when it comes to more text on an e-reader screen.

I've researched the e-ink resolution and sadly we have a bottleneck at 300 PPI density. AFAIK no commercial device sports better density. That is why color resolution is so bad on e-readers. One color pixel requires three physical pixels and on a 300 PPI screen this gets us down to 100 PPI density of color display. That's not too good, but it's good to know

P

Last edited by pavelh; 06-25-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #23
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Hi,
I have Kobo Clara HD now and I love the blue-less side lighting. I don't like the resolution though.
I have been thinking about upgrading to Forma, which should also have the blue-less side lighting but also much higher resolution.
I've waited so long for the latest Kobo to be introduced and did not want to buy Forma as I suspected it would become obsolete, but I am not thrilled with Elipsa as it lacks the blue-less night lighting (AFAIK) and I really don't need a pen.
Also no color reader seems to match Forma in color-resolution.
Am I right to aim for Forma now when my need is higher resolution, slightly bigger screen and blue-less side lighting or is it going way too backwards, pls?

Many thanks in advance for any kind help!

Best regards

P
The resolution on my Clara is fantastic. The libra is a good choice also
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #24
pavelh
Zealot

I like Clara very much too, but I just want the same amount of text on the page as I get with a printed book. I really dislike turning 600 e-pages in a 300 pages book. It may be just a personal preference, but I don't find it very comfortable.
Glad you like Clara though. Coming from Kindle, Clara was like a revelation to me :-)
P

Last edited by pavelh; 06-26-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #25
pavelh
Zealot

More news on the possible Forma successor:

Kobo
The Canadian company surprised all with its new Elipsa eNote device a few months back though that wasn’t an eReader in the truest sense of the term. It has been a few years since the Kobo Forma has been there – it was launched in October 2018 – and a successor to it is already reported to be in the works. The upcoming Kobo Forma successor is however expected to have the same basic design but will likely come with audiobook support this time.
(https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-excited-about)
Old 09-08-2021, 08:13 PM   #26
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
As always, take anything from goodereader.com with a grain of salt (or two grains. Or a few salt blocks like they give horses.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:02 AM   #27
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
More news on the possible Forma successor:

[...] The upcoming Kobo Forma successor is however expected to have the same basic design but will likely come with audiobook support this time.
(https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-excited-about)
"expected"... by Goodereader. They're barely even a rumour site; they just make things up (or steal them from elsewhere).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:20 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, if you look at the Pine device item in that article, it mentions a 60Hz refresh rate which Pine themselves removed in an edit which was posted about on Aug 16th, 2021.

See Introducing the PineNote where the relevant quote is:

Quote:
Edit August 16 00:09 UTC: A previous version of this post listed the e-ink panel’s refresh rate at 60Hz. This number requires much more context. It takes multiple frames to display most images on an e-ink panel. The visual performance of the panel also depends on the method of converting the screen image to data the panel understands. We will be unable to make estimates of the panel’s true performance in frames per second without much more testing and development. So we’ve removed the 60Hz figure for now. We apologize for any misunderstanding.
Once again BadeReader manages to amuse.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:31 AM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Shouldn't there have been an FCC notice by now for any new device? There was a long thread here for 3-4 months before the Elipsa's release based on its FCC notice.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote