Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #76
computermacgyver
computermacgyver began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
pdfloc

ebioman, thank you for your work with the pdfloc tags. I won't have much time until August to do further work, but I do want to get this working. A few quotations from this thread might help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricp
I put a few lines of code to extract the information about the "text annotation", even though I don't know what to do with it. The format seems to be something like:
#pdfloc(docid,page,y,x1,x2,0,col,1)
with:
y: the vertical position in (lines x 8 + 1) in the page, ignoring blank lines
x1 and x2: seems both related to the position in chars, or the displacement
col: could be related to the columns or just a flag indicating the meaning of x1 and x2.
0 and 1 are always there in my tests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricp
If someone is so inclined, I think the JPedal library could help to recover the annotated text: http://www.jpedal.org/support_egCE.php

The coordinate system should even be consistent the the #pdfloc tab....
Quote:
Originally Posted by computermacgyver
I would really love to get highlights to extract. I've played with the pdfloc tags, and it seems it of some format similar to
#pdfloc(doc_id,page,para,d,char,0,g,1)
where
doc_id document_id? same for all annotations in a document
page page number starting from 0
para paragraph or line? starting from 0, restarting on new page
word word on line, starting at 0
char character starting from 0, restart numbering on new word
0 always 0?
g not sure, perhaps unimportant or related to deleted annotations?
1 always one?
computermacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #77
computermacgyver
computermacgyver began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
To your second question, Waba, you can indeed run this script on a copy of the files from your reader. There is no reason it needs to be a "live" copy on the reader connected via USB. In fact, I do this everytime as a extra line of backup in case something goes wrong with the script (which it never has).

Besides a full virtual machine, you might take a look at cygwin which provides a full linux terminal with out all the extra overhead of an OS. It runs pretty slick for me whenever I find myself unfortunately on Windows.
computermacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #78
ebioman
Enthusiast
ebioman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks
I tried already once to understand this jpedal libary. I tried it again, but honestly it is far beyond my ablilities. So, I actually now wrote the guy from this program whether he could give me a hand or at least one or two tips.
Lets see ...
ebioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #79
kokoshmusun
kokoshmusun began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
This exporting highlight to Jarnal thing is an exciting possibility, I've downloaded the stuff and will try it soon. I was using Xournal but could switch to Jarnal if this works.

In the meanwhile, I'm wondering if I wanted to save my Sony PRS-600 highlights, if I could simply store its internal files and then load them back in when I want to view that pdf and its highlights at a later time. That is, I have a lot of pdf files, and don't want to keep them all inside the Reader. When I'm done reading and highlighting, can I just copy them to my hard drive, and later, copy them back to reader and view the highlights.

I'm going to try this manually, but maybe one of you guys has (or can create) a script where you point to the pdf folder or name within the sony reader, and it just extracts all the necessary files onto your hard drive from the reader.

Wouldn't that be useful to anyone? I've only created the most basic scripts but if nobody more knowledgeable than me is willing to help, I can have a shot at it, if there is demand for it.
kokoshmusun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #80
MuppetsReadBooks
MuppetsReadBooks began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Hi there,

I guess what Sony is asking us to do is download books illegally or from somewhere else. Crazy, because all of the books I downloaded from google, I can transfer fully highlighted paragraphs, but anything I purchased from their store, 100 character max. And despite having talked to at least 4 different support people NOT ONE of them appeared to know this max, or they ddin't want to share it with me. One actually suggested that I take 100 character notes and then merge them together!!!! He said there was a limit, but he didn't know to what. He was able to recreate the issue on his own unit, using a copy of The Importance of Being Ernest, which I also have (dl'd from Google books, rather than pre-installed on the unit as he had it) and where he had the 100 character issue, mine was fine.

What a waste of money!
I searched the help section of the most recent reader library software (not something they advertise when you're researching what unit to buy) and found this:

You can export notes (bookmarks, highlights, and markups) and save as a file. You can then view or print the file, or attach it to e-mail.

Click (Notes) on the bottom of the Book page view.
The notes list appears. By default, all the notes are selected with check marks.

To export all notes, click (Export to file) above the notes list. To export only selected notes, uncheck the unnecessary notes, and click (Export to file).
The dialog box to specify the exporting location appears.

Specify the desired location in your computer and file name.
Selected notes in the notes list are exported and saved as a file in the specified location.

Note
The maximum number of characters you can export with a note is limited.
Bookmark: 100 characters from the headline
Highlight: 2,000 characters for non-DRM content, 100 characters for DRM protected content
Comment: 2,000 characters

You can export notes (bookmarks, highlights, and markups) and save as a file. You can then view or print the file, or attach it to e-mail.

Click (Notes) on the bottom of the Book page view.
The notes list appears. By default, all the notes are selected with check marks.

To export all notes, click (Export to file) above the notes list. To export only selected notes, uncheck the unnecessary notes, and click (Export to file).
The dialog box to specify the exporting location appears.

Specify the desired location in your computer and file name.
Selected notes in the notes list are exported and saved as a file in the specified location.

Note
The maximum number of characters you can export with a note is limited.
Bookmark: 100 characters from the headline
Highlight: 2,000 characters for non-DRM content, 100 characters for DRM protected content
Comment: 2,000 characters
MuppetsReadBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #81
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Does anyone know if the ADE software allows exporting notes to a file or if you can sync notes from your Sony reader to the ADE desktop? I have not had any luck doing this. Is there a reader that is not Sony (like Boox) that allows exporting notes to files?
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 AM   #82
OddsRatio
OddsRatio began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
Has anyone had any success using the Python code for extracting pdf annotation information for the 900? I've tried modifying it, but the task appears to be over my head.
OddsRatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #83
kokoshmusun
kokoshmusun began at the beginning.

fail

I finally tried this, but it failed. I don't know what was exactly supposed to happen but nothing happened except this output below. Anybody know what I can do to get it to work?

python annot.py /media/READER

Quote:
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/pdf.py:52: DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
from sets import ImmutableSet
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/generic.py:216: DeprecationWarning: object.__init__() takes no parameters
int.__init__(self, value)
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/generic.py:406: DeprecationWarning: object.__init__() takes no parameters
str.__init__(self, data)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "annot.py", line 369, in <module>
tl = p.listFiles()
File "annot.py", line 334, in listFiles
text = Prs600Text(self.topdir,f)
File "annot.py", line 192, in __init__
self.numpages = infile.getNumPages()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/pdf.py", line 334, in getNumPages
self._flatten()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/pdf.py", line 507, in _flatten
self._flatten(page.getObject(), inherit)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/generic.py", line 165, in getObject
return self.pdf.getObject(self).getObject()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/pdf.py", line 549, in getObject
retval = readObject(self.stream, self)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/generic.py", line 67, in readObject
return DictionaryObject.readFromStream(stream, pdf)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/generic.py", line 517, in readFromStream
value = readObject(stream, pdf)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/generic.py", line 517, in readFromStream
value = readObject(stream, pdf)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/pyPdf/generic.py", line 520, in readFromStream
raise utils.PdfReadError, "multiple definitions in dictionary"
pyPdf.utils.PdfReadError: multiple definitions in dictionary
kokoshmusun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #84
facruz
facruz began at the beginning.

Restore deleted annotations and highlights

Hi, I have accidentally deleted very important annotations and highlights I had done on several ebooks I had installed in my Sony PRS-600. Could anyone tell me how to undelete them? In which folder of my PC were they stored when I synchronized? (I have Windows XP SP3). Also, the ebook is not recognized by the PC at all, but I don't want to hard-reset since that would erase the remaining ebooks and their annotations and highlights. Can I run some sort of undelete program on my ebook? Thanks.
facruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #85
picco
picco began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoshmusun View Post
This exporting highlight to Jarnal thing is an exciting possibility, I've downloaded the stuff and will try it soon. I was using Xournal but could switch to Jarnal if this works.
I'd settle for the PRS 600 if anyone found a way to export notes to Xournal format, as I've been using Xournal on my PC for a long time.. Would it be hard to modify the script to export to Xournal instead? I could give up a weekend for that..
picco is offline   Reply With Quote