Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-16-2018, 01:37 AM   #1
blackcatw81
Meow!
blackcatw81 began at the beginning.

Device: K4NTblk,HanlinV60 3G,Trekstor Pyrus
Some advice needed ;)

Hi to all!
The power button of my precious Pyrus Trekstor broke last night.. it's really a pity because it's a very sturdy device even if with some annoying firmware-related "quirks".
I'm thinking of buying a Kobo Mini but I don't really like the touchscreen on a e-reader and I fear for the loop/brick (I don't know if I can restore it in case, I've read the thread but I didn't really understand it).
My sister already has one and every now and then I kept glancing and handling it. It would be the reader I'd use when I'm not at home so the more compact the better.
I can find reconditioned Auras on AliExpress but I don't want to pay for customs and I'm not sure about the front light.
I already have a Kindle 5NT and I want to change..
What do you say?
blackcatw81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:13 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'm sorry about your Pyrus Trekstor. I just read about these for the first time on the Wiki and thought I would like to try to find one. Is there any way to open it and fix the switch?

As for suggestions ... The small reader I like is the Sony PRS-350. I don't know if they're available in Italy, however and whether you use Calibre. I use Calibre to embed a nice dark font, Constantia and, for me, that makes about the perfect combination.

Sorry I'm not much help. I'm sure others will have better advice.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
blackcatw81
Meow!

Hi @rcentros! Thank you for your reply!
The Pyrus is a great reader: similar to the K4NT black but with an anti-skid surface and more comfortable feeling in hand. The downside is the firmware.
I already opened it last night when it broke but my boyfriend told me sadly there's nothing to do (the power button broke from the electrical contacts attached)

Yes, before posting I read about the Sony and I searched the web for some offer but... I don't really like it much.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatw81 View Post
Hi @rcentros! Thank you for your reply!
The Pyrus is a great reader: similar to the K4NT black but with an anti-skid surface and more comfortable feeling in hand. The downside is the firmware.
I already opened it last night when it broke but my boyfriend told me sadly there's nothing to do (the power button broke from the electrical contacts attached)

Yes, before posting I read about the Sony and I searched the web for some offer but... I don't really like it much.
For a small-ish e-reader, I'd recommend the 1st gen Kobo Aura. It's a six inch reader, but it's pretty compact. The downside is you said you didn't like the touchscreen on the Kobo Mini. I don't know if you would like the Aura's touchscreen any better.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
blackcatw81
Meow!

I don't like the touchscreen on ANY ebook reader! I had this really bad experience with the K7 some years ago: I kept changing fonts and zoom while I was reading ^^"

Are you saying the feedback on the Aura is worst than the one on the Mini? :O
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't like the touchscreen on ANY ebook reader! I had this really bad experience with the K7 some years ago: I kept changing fonts and zoom while I was reading ^^"
On the Kobo you can turn off the pinch to change font size action. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do the same on a Kindle.

Quote:
No, I'm saying I understood your point that you would prefer no touchscreen and would (I assume) prefer buttons.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I don't know if they're available in Italy or not, but we've recently discussed the InkBook Classic 2 and (I think) Prime (front-lit version, with a faster CPU) in another thread. These have page turn buttons and touch screens, but the touch screen can be turned off. At least in the U.S., the Classic 2 is cheap (about the price of the basic Kindle, a very simple reader). I haven't really seen any reviews, and I can't personally vouch for its quality (or lack of it), but I thought I would throw it out there as a possibility.

It looks like it's available on Amazon.it. At least you can look at the specs there ...

https://www.amazon.it/Reader-inkBOOK...book+classic+2

Last edited by rcentros; 03-16-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:59 AM   #8
blackcatw81
Meow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
On the Kobo you can turn off the pinch to change font size action. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do the same on a Kindle.
Thanks for the tip

Quote:
No, I'm saying I understood your point that you would prefer no touchscreen and would (I assume) prefer buttons.
Yeah, I'd really prefer buttons.

@rcentros: yes, I know of the InkBook, but it's out of my budget. It also seems a rebrand of the T-Boyue :-k
Old 03-17-2018, 06:16 AM   #9
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
The voyage can have the touchscreen disabled via a hack which was posted here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=279209

And someone said they have disabled the kindle oasis 1 touchscreen with it, which to me makes the Oasis 1 the best non-android ereader available.

I don’t know what might be in your budget.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 03-17-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
blackcatw81
Meow!

Yeah, I know, but even if I had 190€ (about the same $) to spend, I wouldn't buy a Voyage. Thank you anyway.

Ps I don't like the Oasis, it reminds me of a Russian e-reader found on AliExpress..
Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 AM   #11
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Yeah, I know, but even if I had 190€ (about the same $) to spend, I wouldn't buy a Voyage. Thank you anyway.

Ps I don't like the Oasis, it reminds me of a Russian e-reader found on AliExpress..
Me neither. I like the oasis, tho it does seem a bit weird, at least the battery cover thing.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 03-23-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
blackcatw81
Meow!

Hi! I'm working really long hours, thanks for the other reply! I bought a used but in minted condition Kobo Mini, already upgraded and connected to the wifi (but I haven't so much time for reading in the last week! :'( ). I read the thread about making a disk image backup and I hope to do it soon uff! EDIT: can't do it because the Mini lacks an external SD :/
First impressions: yes, the Mini touch is a bit slow.. I don't know if it's the firmware or not, but it's a great device to carry around.

Also, my boyfriend bought me a reconditioned Kobo Aura 1st edition as a gift <3 I think it will arrive next month!

Thank you all!

Last edited by blackcatw81; 04-01-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Hi! I'm working really long hours, thanks for the other reply! I bought a used but in minted condition Kobo Mini, already upgraded and connected to the wifi (but I haven't so much time for reading in the last week! :'( ). I read the thread about making a disk image backup and I hope to do it soon uff! EDIT: can't do it because the Mini lacks an external SD :/
First impressions: yes, the Mini touch is a bit slow.. I don't know if it's the firmware or not, but it's a great device to carry around.

Also, my boyfriend bought me a reconditioned Kobo Aura 1st edition as a gift <3 I think it will arrive next month!

Thank you all!
I haven't used the Mini, but I am very happy with my 1st edition Aura. Hope you like it.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I haven't used the Mini, but I am very happy with my 1st edition Aura. Hope you like it.
In my opinion, if the Mini had a little better screen, it would be a great eReader. As is, it's still not bad.