Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #16
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I don't think there will be any more minis. I think I better pick up a refurb before they all disappear entirely. I find a 9.7" ipad way too big for carting about with me.
Your comment about "disappear entirely" prompted me to do some online checking. I've been burned before waiting for a better sale on something and ended up empty-handed.

BestBuy.com has the Mini-4 128GB WiFi for $300 new. Really tempted to upgrade from my Mini-1 non-retina 16GB! It is still a great eReader, but the battery life has really declined.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #17
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Your comment about "disappear entirely" prompted me to do some online checking. I've been burned before waiting for a better sale on something and ended up empty-handed.

BestBuy.com has the Mini-4 128GB WiFi for $300 new. Really tempted to upgrade from my Mini-1 non-retina 16GB! It is still a great eReader, but the battery life has really declined.
I made the mistake of upgrading mine to ios 9.3.5 and its turned into a slow slow slow piece of poo. I wish it could be downgraded but apparently that is not on the cards. If it could be, I'd probably pull it out again and keep using it. Its such a dog now. I have rebooted, restored (as new) and nothing helps. The upgrade was a savage downgrade in terms of performance.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2017, 12:16 AM   #18
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I made the mistake of upgrading mine to ios 9.3.5 and its turned into a slow slow slow piece of poo. I wish it could be downgraded but apparently that is not on the cards. If it could be, I'd probably pull it out again and keep using it. Its such a dog now. I have rebooted, restored (as new) and nothing helps. The upgrade was a savage downgrade in terms of performance.
There are hacky methods of downgrading older devices like the Mini 1.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:33 PM   #19
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post

Wow...glad I was watching this thread. Just bought a new Mini with 128gb. The price was too good to pass up. No more swapping apps for space.

My 16gb Mini will be moved to the kitchen for Netflix, Amazon Video, and FoxSportsGo.

The Fire HD 10" that I have out there is officially for sale.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
There are hacky methods of downgrading older devices like the Mini 1.
I've been to all my usual sources of info on the matter and basically been told that it wont happen. 9.3.4 yes, 9.3.5 no. I'll PM you if thats OK, for further info.

[edit] Actually, ignore me. I did more research and the hoops to be jumped through are more than I can be botehred with, for an old device.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 08-28-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Advert
Old 08-29-2017, 03:26 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the latest version of iOS on my Retina Mini 2, and performance seems ok to me. I haven't noticed any appreciable slowdown as a result of updating iOS.

What sort of operations are you finding to be slow?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:51 AM   #22
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the latest version of iOS on my Retina Mini 2, and performance seems ok to me. I haven't noticed any appreciable slowdown as a result of updating iOS.

What sort of operations are you finding to be slow?
I'm on the non-retina Mini1, Harry. Its a 32 bit device. Its a slug. Everything is slow. Apps which ran comfortably in earlier 9.x.x and 8.x.x are slugs. Games I used to play on it are now slugs. Even Safari is a slug. Packed away again. Maybe I'll give it away to someone who doesnt care. My Air2 is happy on 10. Its also getting old and I wont be updating it to 11, for fear of the same thing happening.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:14 AM   #23
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have an iPad mini 4. Whilst I'm not in the market for a replacement yet when I do replace it it has to be this size. The bigger one will be tooo big to take anywhere. I do hope Apple realise not everyone wants a large iPad or pc replacement size iPad.

There is a market for a mini iPad, not everyone wants a Fire or an Android device.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-29-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #24
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I just ordered a Mini 4 128g. when it was on sale at bestbuy in the US. It's a replacement for my now ailing Kindle hdx 7. I really hope they continue with the Mini. It's a great size for me too.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:09 AM   #25
kyteflyer
Wizard

Oh dear. I just ordered a 64GB from the refurb store. Now I had better sell my 1st gen!
Old 08-31-2017, 03:33 PM   #26
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Oh dear. I just ordered a 64GB from the refurb store. Now I had better sell my 1st gen!
A family member is getting my mini 2 16g , so I figured I needed to bump up my storage as well.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Rumors include one that suggests Apple is lining up production for 6.5" screen for next iPhone:

http://www.redmondpie.com/2018-iphon...y-sizes-rumor/

To me this would be a more appealing reading form factor than iPad mini. Of course it's going to be a lot more expensive, but less than having two devices.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:22 AM   #28
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Rumors include one that suggests Apple is lining up production for 6.5" screen for next iPhone:

http://www.redmondpie.com/2018-iphon...y-sizes-rumor/

To me this would be a more appealing reading form factor than iPad mini. Of course it's going to be a lot more expensive, but less than having two devices.
I saw this one, and I'd agree but I just cannot see myself making phonecalls on something the size of a dinnerplate. I know... bluetooth headset...
Old 09-02-2017, 05:40 AM   #29
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I saw this one, and I'd agree but I just cannot see myself making phonecalls on something the size of a dinnerplate. I know... bluetooth headset...
Yes, some little device to make calls, play music, run small apps, ... A smartwatch is too small, so something like a small smartphone.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All Apple has to do to win the phone size wars is to build the phone into the iPad Mini. It could be called the iPhone Mini.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote