Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #181
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
I’m considering buying this device to use as a tablet—ie browse web, write email etc—as well as read PDFs. I’m not bothered about the “EPD limit”. (Lcd is bad for your eyes imo.)

Did anyone else buy this for a similar usage?
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #182
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
How does it fare with OneNote? (either drawing with the stylus or typing with a bluetooth keyboard)
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #183
Otamono
Otamono began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
I have one additional question: I dont remember about getting a case for the tablet, do i get one if i preordered in January from ereader.store?
Otamono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #184
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenth View Post
Hello, first post here, but long time mobileread reader [...]
So far so good. My two cents to people who ordered from booxtor is to keep calm and relax... Excuse my english it's not my native language, I'm french (so excuse my french ;-)
Bonjour Laurenth,

Bienvenue dans ce forum ! Pas de souci avec le français, cela me convient parfaitement, pour moi c'est l'anglais la difficulté

For Booxtor, good advice : 'My two cents to people who ordered from booxtor is to keep calm and relax...'.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #185
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otamono View Post
...I will test the device this friday vs the ReMarkable of a friend. Most likely it will win in writing notes and lose on the rest (annotations, apps and so on)...
I'm looking forward to your comparison of the Note vs the ReMarkable! Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otamono View Post
I have one additional question: I dont remember about getting a case for the tablet, do i get one if i preordered in January from ereader.store?
The following was posted here a couple pages back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb_dude View Post
It also says this at the bottom of the webpage: Attention to pre-orderers from January and February! The cover is still in production and will be delivered separately in the last week of March!
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #186
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Does the led light work well to illuminate the whole screen? Would you mind posting a picture of it?

I would love to buy the Note, but I really need a front light (for night reading, but also for the increased contrast) and I'm hoping they eventually make a device like this with the built-in light.

I haven't felt very confident that an attachable led light would be a very good substitution for a built-in front light... but maybe I'm wrong. I would love to see a picture.
My first impression of the clip on light was that it was a bit clunky and cheaply built. However, thought I would give it a try.

It actually did a fairly good job of illuminating the entire screen in a dark room and I could angle it in such a way that there was no glare from the screen. Reading was quite comfortable.

However, because the bezels at the sides and the top of the screen are so narrow, you can really only clamp it on at the bottom where the bezel is wider. It also slides around a bit, but that will probably not be a problem when the protective case arrives as it will likely provide a grippier surface for the light to hold on to. Until the cover arrives, I may just use a thin strip of rubber on the underside of the ereader if I want to use the light.

In a well lit room, the contrast is fine for my eyes. I really wouldn't want to be using the clip on light all the time as it could become a bit awkward when writing/sketching.

Hopefully, they will eventually come up with a solution and be able to provide an integrated frontlight on large screen eink devices. That would be the ideal solution.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #187
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Hopefully, they will eventually come up with a solution and be able to provide an integrated frontlight on large screen eink devices. That would be the ideal solution.
The 9.7” n96ml+ has a frontlight.

Can you say anything about (with refresh turned off) the browser?
Old 03-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #188
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
My first impression of the clip on light was that it was a bit clunky and cheaply built. However, thought I would give it a try.

It actually did a fairly good job of illuminating the entire screen in a dark room and I could angle it in such a way that there was no glare from the screen. Reading was quite comfortable.

However, because the bezels at the sides and the top of the screen are so narrow, you can really only clamp it on at the bottom where the bezel is wider. It also slides around a bit, but that will probably not be a problem when the protective case arrives as it will likely provide a grippier surface for the light to hold on to. Until the cover arrives, I may just use a thin strip of rubber on the underside of the ereader if I want to use the light.

In a well lit room, the contrast is fine for my eyes. I really wouldn't want to be using the clip on light all the time as it could become a bit awkward when writing/sketching.

Thank you so much for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
The 9.7” n96ml+ has a frontlight.
So it really shouldn't be difficult to add a frontlight to the Note, right? I wonder if a front-light version is in the works?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #189
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Can you say anything about (with refresh turned off) the browser?
Do you mean in A2 mode?

Just tried out the browser again in both A2 mode and in regular mode. This time, thought I would try it with some video so took a trip over to YouTube to see how it would perform. Then did a little bit of surfing.

In A2 mode, it actually handled videos fairly well. Both the sound and the video image were a bit choppy, but they were viewable. Of course, the experience pales in comparison to the fluid experience of a tablet. Although you probably wouldn't want to watch a movie on the Note, you could watch stuff in a pinch unlike in regular mode in which the experience was very unpleasant.

Surfing regular sites, whether in A2 or regular mode, such as news sites, libraries and Amazon was not much of a problem. I found that pages were relatively quick to load and easy to navigate. The ads tended to not be as annoying as I have found them on previous eink devices where the loading and navigating of pages was much slower.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #190
citytrader
Connoisseur
citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: BOOX Note
I'm interested not in taking notes but more like using it like a book, how responsive is this Boox Note reading PDFs and Epubs?... is pinch to zoom responsive or laggy? is it possible to install XODO pdf reader and FBreader?... Thanks in advance for the info!
citytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #191
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Thank you so much for that!

So it really shouldn't be difficult to add a frontlight to the Note, right? I wonder if a front-light version is in the works?
There is no indication that E Ink has any frontlight devices bigger than 9.7" by anybody so far. E Ink itself does offer screens with frontlight built in but it is possible for the companies to do it themselves which seems to be what Amazon is doing. Technically there are obstacles in larger screens. The front light article in our wiki shows how it is done. There are no flexible screens (E Ink Mobius) that have front lights.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #192
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by citytrader View Post
I'm interested not in taking notes but more like using it like a book, how responsive is this Boox Note reading PDFs and Epubs?... is pinch to zoom responsive or laggy? is it possible to install XODO pdf reader and FBreader?... Thanks in advance for the info!
So far, reading has been a very pleasurable experience, whether in PDF or epub. Using the native reading app, I was even able to open an AZW3 file from which I had removed the DRM using Calibre and which I then sideloaded onto the device as a test.

Pinch zoom is very responsive. Love it.

Was able to install the free version of FBreader which worked fine for epubs. The free version does not allow you to open PDFs.

Also installed the free versions of Librera and Moon+ Reader, both of which allow you to read either epubs or PDFs. Also installed Cool Reader, but haven't played around with it much yet.

Moon+ Reader is so far the only reading app which I have tested which can properly handle furigana when reading in Japanese so it is my go to app for Japanese books. For Chinese books, the native app, Neo Reader V2, works very well.

Was able to install Colordict without any problems and it is working well with Moon+ Reader for looking up words when reading in Japanese.

Haven't tried the dictionary function with any of the other apps apart from the native reading one. Was able to sideload about 7 or so Chinese Stardict dictionaries onto the Note and they work tremendously well with the native reader for looking up unfamiliar words when reading in Chinese.

Right now, it doesn't seem possible to install apps from the Play Store which you have already paid for. Hope they work that out soon as I would like to install the pro version of Moon+ Reader.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #193
Waiting4somethin
Addict

Quote:
Do you mean in A2 mode?

Just tried out the browser again in both A2 mode and in regular mode. This time, thought I would try it with some video so took a trip over to YouTube to see how it would perform. Then did a little bit of surfing.

In A2 mode, it actually handled videos fairly well. Both the sound and the video image were a bit choppy, but they were viewable. Of course, the experience pales in comparison to the fluid experience of a tablet. Although you probably wouldn't want to watch a movie on the Note, you could watch stuff in a pinch unlike in regular mode in which the experience was very unpleasant.

Surfing regular sites, whether in A2 or regular mode, such as news sites, libraries and Amazon was not much of a problem. I found that pages were relatively quick to load and easy to navigate. The ads tended to not be as annoying as I have found them on previous eink devices where the loading and navigating of pages was much slower.
Many thanks for this reply.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #194
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
So far, reading has been a very pleasurable experience, whether in PDF or epub. Using the native reading app, I was even able to open an AZW3 file from which I had removed the DRM using Calibre and which I then sideloaded onto the device as a test.

Pinch zoom is very responsive. Love it.

Was able to install the free version of FBreader which worked fine for epubs. The free version does not allow you to open PDFs.

Also installed the free versions of Librera and Moon+ Reader, both of which allow you to read either epubs or PDFs. Also installed Cool Reader, but haven't played around with it much yet.

Moon+ Reader is so far the only reading app which I have tested which can properly handle furigana when reading in Japanese so it is my go to app for Japanese books. For Chinese books, the native app, Neo Reader V2, works very well.

Was able to install Colordict without any problems and it is working well with Moon+ Reader for looking up words when reading in Japanese.

Haven't tried the dictionary function with any of the other apps apart from the native reading one. Was able to sideload about 7 or so Chinese Stardict dictionaries onto the Note and they work tremendously well with the native reader for looking up unfamiliar words when reading in Chinese.

Right now, it doesn't seem possible to install apps from the Play Store which you have already paid for. Hope they work that out soon as I would like to install the pro version of Moon+ Reader.
Second this. Neo Reader , the stock app, is very good for almost everything. Needs A2 to go through multi-column stuff properly though. Librera e-ink edition slightly better in that regard, but falls short on annotations. The Onyx-modified Kindle apk does not work, but Koreader does. Not much of an improvement over Neo Reader.
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #195
citytrader
Connoisseur
citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: BOOX Note
Quote:
So far, reading has been a very pleasurable experience, whether in PDF or epub...
Thanks a lot for your feedback!
citytrader is offline   Reply With Quote