Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Barnes and Noble to discontinue all eInk readers

This article:

http://www.cetusnews.com/tech/The-No...Jx70nJuo-.html

claims that B&N will be discontinuing all it's eReeaders, and only offer the Samsung branded devices.

I wonder what this means for their eBook store. Will they continue to support it?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
aybirdy
aybirdy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8 (T3)
From what I understand, they will most likely hand it over to another brand; like Kobo did with Sony Reader.
aybirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I really liked my nook when it first came out. I still use my glow light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:56 AM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
B&N first made it difficult to download your eBooks to your desktop computer for backup. Instead, you have to download/install them directly to a Nook (there are ways around this, but B&N appears to be trying to shut the door). Now they're discontinuing the Nook? I think it would be a very good idea to download all your B&N eBooks for backup to your desktop computer ASAP. If B&N doesn't plan to support some other inexpensive eInk reader, instead forcing you to a Samsung tablet (not the same as an eReader by any stretch), you might want to re-consider the options you have for dealing with DRM and format conversion.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybirdy View Post
From what I understand, they will most likely hand it over to another brand; like Kobo did with Sony Reader.
That's not what they're saying at this point, but who knows. I hope not.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nook tablets can read nook books so I don't see B&N doing away with eBooks. The problem B&N has is that the nook line was rubbish from the start and it's still rubbish now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgadgets View Post
I really liked my nook when it first came out. I still use my glow light.
I still like my two Nooks. The Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight is still the only front-lit, E-ink reader that doesn't bother my eyes. (Actually it's the only front-lit, E-ink reader I have left.) The Kindles I use (Touch and 2014 non touch) both have lighted cases.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nook tablets can read nook books so I don't see B&N doing away with eBooks. The problem B&N has is that the nook line was rubbish from the start and it's still rubbish now.
I'm more worried about the Nook books I already own. I hope they stay up in my account on B&N. I didn't like the way the Sony to Kobo migration worked out (even though I didn't have a lot of Sony books, I read about other people's issues).
Old 10-17-2017, 02:21 AM   #9
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
The problem B&N has is that the nook line was rubbish from the start and it's still rubbish now.
I wouldn't call the Nook rubbish. I liked (and still do) my Nook Simple Touch. So much so that when I just bought a PaperWhite, I thought my old Nook was just as good or better. I soon learned that my initial impression was wrong, probably formed because I was familiar with the Nook and not so the PaperWhite. The PaperWhite is the clear winner now. But I still like the Nook. I just don't like what I'm reading about B&N the company, it seems like their customers are kind of getting screwed, or at least are on their way to getting screwed. Some of this isn't entirely B&N's fault. I don't think their market share is too good, and there's only so much you can do before throwing in the towel. Bottom line: They're in it to make money, not make customers happy. The only reason you'd want to have happy customers, is to support your ultimate goal of making money. As market share shrinks, happy customers don't contribute enough to save a company. So customers get sidelined. Then employees. Then shareholders. Then the company is finally gone. I don't want to see this happen to B&N. But it is what I predict will happen.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I wouldn't call the Nook rubbish. I liked (and still do) my Nook Simple Touch.
I have a nook STR and it's rubbish. The UI is garbage. The font rendering engine is garbage. The partitioned memory is garbage. There is no way to organize your eBooks. The shape feels odd to hold. The buttons require too much force to press. I don't see anything good about it.

I only bought it as a cheap backup in case my T1 ever stopped working for any reason. I
Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 AM   #11
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
I still dig my nook ST glow out and use it. Always nice to go back to an old friend. I find it comfortable to use.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I have a nook STR and it's rubbish. The UI is garbage. The font rendering engine is garbage. The partitioned memory is garbage. There is no way to organize your eBooks. The shape feels odd to hold. The buttons require too much force to press. I don't see anything good about it.

I only bought it as a cheap backup in case my T1 ever stopped working for any reason. I
Did Cthulhu get you while you were writing, Jon?

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #13
IvyR
IvyR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Nook Glowlight Plus
This is the second time B&N jumped into the ebook market. The first was the eBookman, which was brilliant, but too far ahead of its time, and the second time they just didn't get it.

They came out in support of the agency model, largely unpopular with their customers.
They started strong with leveraging their brick and mortar presence, but that fell away.
They played follow the leader with Amazon far too much.

At so many points they could have owned it. They had such great technology. But they didn't get it. They saw what happened to Borders when Borders didn't get it. That should have been a warning.

I hope Kobo steps in. Competition is good for the market, and it's fast becoming a one-dog show.
IvyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

B&N botched things when they stopped allowing direct downloads.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Did Cthulhu get you while you were writing, Jon?

Nah! Maybe Cthulhu got B&N when they designed the nook STR.