Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Cloud Collection Management is launched

I noticed this popup message on Amazon today:

Quote:
Cloud Collection Management is launched. Cloud Collections can be created, edited, and shared from the Manage Your Content and Devices page.
I tried it out. Collections now appears as a choice on the Manage Your Content and Devices page. For collections you can create, delete, rename and list the content. For books you can add to or remove from collections.

----

I manage my e-books in calibre, but I read using a variety of Kindle apps and devices, keeping them in sync using Amazon's cloud. It may be possible to reverse engineer the web page and add management of cloud collections in calibre via a plugin. That would be useful to me.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-06-2016 at 10:03 AM. Reason: clarify
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I can't see anything on the UK site (not a surprise really) so can you tell me where you see the Collections please. Just on the off chance I've missed it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I can't see anything on the UK site (not a surprise really) so can you tell me where you see the Collections please. Just on the off chance I've missed it.
It is a new choice near the bottom of the "Show" dropdown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collections1.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	152186   Click image for larger version

Name:	collections2.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	152187  
Old 10-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I noticed this popup message on Amazon today:

I tried it out. Collections now appears as a choice on the Manage Your Content and Devices page. For collections you can create, delete, rename and list the content. For books you can add to or remove from collections.

----

I manage my e-book collection in calibre, but I read using a variety of Kindle apps and devices, keeping them in sync using Amazon's cloud. It may be possible to reverse engineer the web page and add management of cloud collections in calibre via a plugin. That would be useful to me.
Ah, so - -
Very likely related to the disappearing and/or failing jb bridge code.
Since that requires changes in /var/local (persistent user data).

- - - - -

The author / maintainer of the Calibre collection plug-in is gone.
He was also the one and only forum moderator we had.

- - - - -

LibrarianSync could probably be modified to support cloud collections once the changes to the database files on the Kindle are determined (it currently has cloud collection handling disabled).

No need to reverse engineer anything.
The things in /var/local belong to the Kindle owner and it is a violation of US law for anyone but the owner to mess with them.
(Keep in mind, Amazon thinks they still own the Kindle in your hands.)

Last edited by knc1; 10-06-2016 at 09:22 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It is a new choice near the bottom of the "Show" dropdown.
Not currently there on Amazon UK. I'm sure it'll appear in due course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Since I commented at The Digital Reader, I thought I would also put this here:

In addition to the new “Collections” view, in the default “Books” view I now have a column for “Collections” at the right side. It shows how many collections each book is in and has a drop down that lets you assign the book to a collection or collections or shows you what collections it is in, if applicable.

After a book has been assigned, clicking on the drop down shows the collection but doesn't allow you to assign additional ones. Clicking on the collection name takes you to that collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collections1.PNG
Views:	289
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	152200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Collections2.PNG
Views:	270
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	152201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Collections3.PNG
Views:	243
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	152202  
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Not able to see any of this using Safari on my iPad ��
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
This must be something that is being rolled out as I don't have that feature yet.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, last time they did major redesign it only worked for some people and some browsers at first and then rolled out to others over a period of days or weeks.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:23 AM   #10
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This sounds like a great development, once it reaches Amazon UK

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
For people who use collections, sure. I don't use them .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
For people who use collections, sure. I don't use them .
I used them a LOT on my old K3, I haven't used them at all on my Voyage other than experimentation when I first got it and again now. There was an update between the two that changed the way that the different views behave and the new version doesn't work for me.

On the K3, the comparable view showed both the collections you had and books that aren't in a collection. Basically it acted like a folder view in Windows.

On the Voyage the "Collections" view only shows what collections you have. It doesn't show books that are not in a collection. This makes it much less useful to me. I end up just using the "All Items" view and deleting things as I go. I used to just remove them from my TBR collection and leave them on the Kindle. This makes it harder to go back and find a book I have already read but it makes it easier to navigate and find what I want that is actually on my Kindle.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I like this concept, as it is tedious to manage collections one at a time *ON* the Kindle. And yes, I use them. Along with Tarana, I don't see this yet, on either Chrome or Firefox. But thank you all for the pictures of WHERE to look for it. I'll keep looking!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
On the Voyage the "Collections" view only shows what collections you have. It doesn't show books that are not in a collection.
I believe that this is caused by the options you have selected in the two drop down menus at the top right corner of the library view. If you choose "Collections" on the left of the two then you will see only collections. If instead you choose "All items" on the left and "Collection" on the right you will see collections followed by all books that are not in any collection.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
I believe that this is caused by the options you have selected in the two drop down menus at the top right corner of the library view. If you choose "Collections" on the left of the two then you will see only collections. If instead you choose "All items" on the left and "Collection" on the right you will see collections followed by all books that are not in any collection.
Thanks for the suggestion, this is closer, but not quite right. On my K3, if you had opened a book more recently than a collection it would still be at the top. This view is alphabetical collections then books. So I need to scroll thru 3 pages of collections to get to the first book that is not in a collection. (Of course, it has been 9+ months since my K3 died and maybe I am remembering some of the details wrong. I know the K3 had collections sorted by how recently they were used so the more used ones stayed at the top and still had books showing though.)

It isn't a big deal since I have changed my behavior to accommodate but I would like that old view back.