Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
American_Desi
Connoisseur
American_Desi began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 12.9"
I'm not sure if this is a Calibre or a Calibre Companion request, but I would like to see the ability to sync entire book by Series, such that when I reconnect via Wireless connection, any new books added to a given Series that is being synced to my iPad will automatically be downloaded to my iPad. Currently, I still have to go into the desktop client and tell it to download each book, although I can batch select them.
American_Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:54 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Desi View Post
I'm not sure if this is a Calibre or a Calibre Companion request, but I would like to see the ability to sync entire book by Series, such that when I reconnect via Wireless connection, any new books added to a given Series that is being synced to my iPad will automatically be downloaded to my iPad. Currently, I still have to go into the desktop client and tell it to download each book, although I can batch select them.
Unfortunately there isn't any mechanism to permit CC to ask if new books exist. However, you should be able to accomplish what you want using the calibre reading list plugin. The following steps worked for me:
  1. Install the reading list plugin if needed.
  2. Create a user category containing the series you want synced to your device. You can do this using "Manage User Categories" available on the tool icon of the tag browser. For this example I called the category "series on device".
  3. Make sure that Reading List knows about your device. Connect the device as a wireless device, open Customize Plugin, click the Devices tab, and "Add connected device" if needed. Tap OK.
  4. Create a reading list auto-populated by a search (Reading List / Customize Plugin). The search I used was
    Code:
    @series on device:true and ondevice:false
  5. Set the reading list to synchronize when your device connects. The options I used are
    • Device: the device you want to sync with.
    • When syncing: add/overwrite all list items
    • Sync as soon as connected: checked
From here on new books in the series listed in the user category will automatically sync when you connect as a wireless device.

Note that the same technique will work for any category: authors, tags, publishers, custom columns, what-have-you. Just add the desired category item to the user category defined above.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
American_Desi
Connoisseur

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:25 AM   #4
American_Desi
Connoisseur

I'm stuck on step #4. When I create the search code, is series supposed to be replaced by the series name, and is the name supposed to be in quotes? For example I have a series called

The Transformers

So, should the code look like

@The Transformers on device:true and ondevice:false

or

@"The Transformers" on device:true and ondevice:false

Also, is "device" supposed to be replaced with the specific device name or does it already understand which device this is after successfully completing step #3?

Finally, if I want to sync multiple different series in this way, and still want each series to show up as a separate series in Calibre Companion, do I need to create a new list for each series, or can I get multiple different series in one list?

Last edited by American_Desi; 03-24-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Desi View Post
I'm stuck on step #4. When I create the search code, is series supposed to be replaced by the series name, and is the name supposed to be in quotes? For example I have a series called

The Transformers

So, should the code look like

@The Transformers on device:true and ondevice:false

or

@"The Transformers" on device:true and ondevice:false
The series name itself does not appear in the search. Instead use the name of the user category you created in step 2.

You can see the correct syntax for the search by clicking on the user category name in the calibre tag browser. It will show you how to enter the search.

There are some screen shots of my test setup attached.
Quote:
Also, is "device" supposed to be replaced with the specific device name or does it already understand which device this is after successfully completing step #3?
You select the device you added in step 3. It should be a drop-down list.
Quote:
Finally, if I want to sync multiple different series in this way, and still want each series to show up as a separate series in Calibre Companion, do I need to create a new list for each series, or can I get multiple different series in one list?
You can put as many series as you want in the user category. In fact, you can also put authors, publishers, tags, or any other category you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	163076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	163077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	180