Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #76
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
jackie-w Yes, I think so. The books I bought are on the Clara and I'm able to see them.

I'm not sure if this is normal, my Paperwhite doesn't have it, but there's a strong white light showing from both sides, just beneath where the bezels are. I haven't had the light turned up high because it seems so much brighter than the Paperwhite. I don't know if I'll get used to this. Is this the case with other's Claras?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #77
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
jackie-w Yes, I think so. The books I bought are on the Clara and I'm able to see them.

I'm not sure if this is normal, my Paperwhite doesn't have it, but there's a strong white light showing from both sides, just beneath where the bezels are. I haven't had the light turned up high because it seems so much brighter than the Paperwhite. I don't know if I'll get used to this. Is this the case with other's Claras?
sadly yes this may help https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300295

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #78
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

koboy: Yes, I read that thread before purchase, but hoped that they'd fixed it. Other peeps seem to have expected this fix too. It's still under warrantee and in the send-back period. I had hoped I'd get one without a significant issue. Lots of images I saw online just made it look like cockled paper - I could put up with that. But the intense light at the sides seems to give me slight sun-blindness.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #79
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
That sounds OK, then.

Quote:
I don't know what is "normal". Maybe if you posted a picture? There was a fair amount of discussion about Clara "light bleed". The only pic I can lay my hands on at the moment is the one posted by Mrs_Often in this post (lower right edge of right-hand pic). This was seen by many owners to a greater or lesser extent. My own is pretty innocuous compared to Mrs O's pic.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #80
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
koboy: Yes, I read that thread before purchase, but hoped that they'd fixed it. Other peeps seem to have expected this fix too. It's still under warrantee and in the send-back period. I had hoped I'd get one without a significant issue. Lots of images I saw online just made it look like cockled paper - I could put up with that. But the intense light at the sides seems to give me slight sun-blindness.
also a couple of pictures here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=300295&page=7 post 104.

best wishes koboy
Advert
Old 11-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #81
BookCat
C L J

At those setting, in the dark, it looks like antique cockled paper with lights around the side. The main issue is when it's set for normal room lighting, with the brightness at about 17% and the natural light about half way. Then there's a distinct line of light at each side, as though it had strip lighting there. At each of the bottom corners there's a much brighter patch of light.

As I said in an earlier post, I have a dumb mobile which doesn't take pictures, just phones and texts. I don't have a digital camera, so can't easily upload a photo.

I have managed to sideload a book from Smashwords onto it using Calibre's "Send to device" option.

I've noticed that I can't alter the font type on epubs from places other than Kobo.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #82
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
At those setting, in the dark, it looks like antique cockled paper with lights around the side. The main issue is when it's set for normal room lighting, with the brightness at about 17% and the natural light about half way. Then there's a distinct line of light at each side, as though it had strip lighting there. At each of the bottom corners there's a much brighter patch of light.

As I said in an earlier post, I have a dumb mobile which doesn't take pictures, just phones and texts. I don't have a digital camera, so can't easily upload a photo.

I have managed to sideload a book from Smashwords onto it using Calibre's "Send to device" option.

I've noticed that I can't alter the font type on epubs from places other than Kobo.
unfortunately your not the first regarding the light bleed on the Kobo Clara and i doubt very much you will be the last. as you knew before you bought it the problem as been discussed at length on here.

only you can decide if it bothers you enough to get an exchange although if you do get a replacement bear in mind you may get another one /slightly better/worse/just the same or hopefully no light bleed at all.

welcome to the relatively new world of the Kobo lottery.

good luck with whatever you decide to do

best wishes koboy
Old 11-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #83
BookCat
C L J

I'll probably return it. I'm pretty sure I should get a refund as it's less than 30 days since I bought it (online, from John Lewis). I'll return it to their reasonably-local store.

With the money I might buy the new paperwhite. I just wonder whether Kindle hasn't got into blue light reduction because the technology isn't good enough yet.

Ho hum. I really wanted to like this ereader and jump off the kindle bandwagon.

Many in this thread were reassuring about the light bleed issue. Either I've been sent an old stock Clara, or they haven't fixed the issue yet.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #84
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
... Then there's a distinct line of light at each side, as though it had strip lighting there. At each of the bottom corners there's a much brighter patch of light.
That doesn't sound good. I don't see anything that bad on mine.

Quote:
Kobos have 2 reading apps, the Adobe one for standard epubs and a different one for kepub. If you sync'd them directly using Kobo Desktop, the books you bought from Kobo will have been transferred in kepub format rather than standard epub. If your bottom menu has a small barchart as the second-right icon, it's a kepub.

The 2 reading apps take a different approach in trying to override the book styling with the options you choose from the Kobo font menu. The kepub app is more aggressive at enforcing your choices than the Adobe standard epub app. All books can be manually edited so that the font options work correctly in both kepub and epub formats. Well designed ones require no effort on the user's part but some require manual editing of the internal CSS file. Every user will decide how much work they're prepared to do.

If kepubs work best for you then you can get calibre to send your standard epubs as kepubs during the send-to-device process. There are pros and cons for each format.

But, if you're not going to keep the Kobo there's not much point going into any more detail.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #85
BookCat
C L J

Perhaps I'll give myself the weekend to get used to it. If I can't, or if it's too uncomfortable to read on, I'll have to return it.
Thank you for all your help.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:17 AM   #86
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The only pic I can lay my hands on at the moment is the one posted by Mrs_Often in this post (lower right edge of right-hand pic).

I also fixed it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...89#post3763289
No blotchiness left whatsoever! See images in that post. And to be honest, I think taking the front frame/bezel off already did the trick. I don’t think it was necessary to use black marker (or tape). Just take the Clara apart (take back & front off) and re-assemble (It’s less scary than it sounds and looks.)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:06 AM   #87
BookCat
C L J

Mrs_Often: I would do that if it didn't void the warrantee, which is does. I'm also not very confident about taking things apart, so would probably ask a friend to help. It seems simpler to return the Clara while within the no-questions asked return period.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:50 AM   #88
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
There isn’t really any way to tell if the back and front have been taken off and put back on though. There isn’t a seal or anything. So in theory it’d void the warranty, but only if you actively admitted to taking the device apart.

I do understand though. A new product shouldn’t have the fault in the first place. It took me a long time to finally decide to do the fix myself instead going through the possibly endless dance of return & exchange...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #89
koboy
Wizard

Quote:
Mrs_Often: I would do that if it didn't void the warrantee, which is does. I'm also not very confident about taking things apart, so would probably ask a friend to help. It seems simpler to return the Clara while within the no-questions asked return period.
very wise to just return it. maybe take a chance on trying another Clara of course that's entirely up to you. personally from what i've read on here since it's release i wouldn't bother. get your money back and buy an ereader that is actually worth the money and doesn't require you to void the warranty.

edit. to be clear the fix for the Clara should be pretty easy to do. the problem i have with it is that if anything else complete different goes wrong with it say 6 months down the line you won't be able to get it exchanged because you will have already voided the warranty by doing the light bleed fix.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 11-03-2018 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #90
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
very wise to just return it. maybe take a chance on trying another Clara of course that's entirely up to you. personally from what i've read on here since it's release i wouldn't bother. get your money back and buy an ereader that is actually worth the money and doesn't require you to void the warranty.
From the comments on here, I can see why you'd say that. But I don't believe most Claras have the light bleed issue. Enough do that it doesn't make Kobo look good. But just remember, the comments here aren't representative of the whole Clara user base.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
options, warm light