Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
By that reply I gather that the ebooks have to be friends of Alf.
In general, yes. Amazon does sell some DRM free stuff, but even then the file will download as KFX or AZW3, so you'll still need Calibre to convert to a more friendly format.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks Zodwallop, that should be simple enough to do.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2018, 12:56 AM   #33
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
As regards the wifi sensitivity:... The point is: I don't get headaches when the internet is wired, but if I switch the pc's wifi on within an hour I'll have a terrible ache.

you may not want the pain & hassle of experimenting, but maybe you are only affected by one of the 2.4, 5GHz bands, not by both. So if you needed wifi, you could experiment with a USB dongle that allowed you to enable only the 5GHz band ( i doubt the on board allows that in a typical laptop. )

should not be an issue for any e-reader as there;s no real reason to keep the wifi on while reading. you could enable it briefly for synching after each read if needed, then go back into aeroplane mode
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In general, yes. Amazon does sell some DRM free stuff, but even then the file will download as KFX or AZW3, so you'll still need Calibre to convert to a more friendly format.
For AZW3 kindleunpack can be used to get an epub closer to that uploaded by the publisher.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
For AZW3 kindleunpack can be used to get an epub closer to that uploaded by the publisher.
I've not had any problems letting Calibre convert. But then I mainly read fiction books without any complicated formatting. If there were errors in the conversion, I've never noticed them.
Advert
Old 10-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #36
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
On ereaders I read novels and books with continuous text. Anything else I'd buy as a paperbook. Kindleunpack sounds beyond my techie abilities (from the little I read when I did a search for it), so I'll probably stick to Alf. Thanks for the info.

One seemingly silly thing: I've just found out that the number of leds on the Clara is between 12 and 14. I have tridecaphobia. On that day of every month I avoid making important decisions, or even speaking to friends, and mostly do meaningless stuff like reading and sleeping. Otherwise the decisions will lead to disaster or I'll have arguments with friends etc. Many of the cats I've had have either become fatally ill or had to be pts on the day between 12th and 14th. So I'm reluctant to buy a reader with that number of leds. Why couldn't they make it 11 or 15, if odd numbers were needed?

This may seem trivial to everyone else, but it's troubling me.

I don't want to switch to one of the larger Kobos because I don't need more than a 6" device (no innuendo intended.) I'll take a closer look at the Tolino Shine 3 HD and the more costly Pocketbook Touch HD 3, though the latter is rather expensive.

Sorry for being such a trouble and sounding like a "yes, but ...".
Old 10-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #37
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
i think you shouldn't bother to read specs, or count leds on the device, you life could be much easier.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
One seemingly silly thing: I've just found out that the number of leds on the Clara is between 12 and 14. I have tridecaphobia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
i think you shouldn't bother to read specs, or count leds on the device, you life could be much easier.
Sounds like in this case, ignorance would have been bliss. But I'm guessing that now that you know, it's not the sort of thing you forget.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #39
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
I happened upon this in a youtube video about the Clara, I wasn't counting.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #40
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sounds like in this case, ignorance would have been bliss. But I'm guessing that now that you know, it's not the sort of thing you forget.
Yes. You're right.

Oh well, I made a rough list of what I want in a new reader, it's over in the Which One Should I Buy dept. But I guess the peeps of MR have shared all the knowledge which they have. It's probably down to me to decide what to do.

First World Problems!
Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #41
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:

One seemingly silly thing: I've just found out that the number of leds on the Clara is between 12 and 14. I have tridecaphobia. [...]

Would it help that there aren't actually "between 12 and 14" of the same type of LEDs? There are 6 orange LEDs. That's all. Oh and then there's 7 blue LEDs. Those are both quite nice numbers
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #42
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Would it help that there aren't actually "between 12 and 14" of the same type of LEDs? There are 6 orange LEDs. That's all. Oh and then there's 7 blue LEDs. Those are both quite nice numbers

Thank you. I will try to think of it that way. 7 is a lucky number, and 6 is harmless; a nice half dozen in fact. And they're totally different. The 7 are completely different from the 6 white. Absolutely no reason to consider them as a whole.

I've just discovered that the Pocketbook HD Touch 2 doesn't have an onboard English dictionary, so my thoughts are wandering back to the Clara.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #43
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:

Thank you. I will try to think of it that way. 7 is a lucky number, and 6 is harmless; a nice half dozen in fact. And they're totally different. The 7 are completely different from the 6 white. Absolutely no reason to consider them as a whole.
Exactly! During the day read with Natural light set to 0% - using only the 7 white LEDs. At night read with Natural light set to 100% - using only the 6 coloured LEDs. Where there's a will, there's a way
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:57 AM   #44
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Just go to John Lewis and take a look at the Clara HD if possible (& take your Paperwhite with you to compare ). Ignore how many LED's it has and ignore the customer service aspect. If you like the look of the Clara HD, go home and order it online from the John Lewis website, and that way you are covered to return it for a refund if you aren't happy with it under the Consumer Contracts Regulations.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #45
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Just go to John Lewis and take a look at the Clara HD if possible (& take your Paperwhite with you to compare ). Ignore how many LED's it has and ignore the customer service aspect. If you like the look of the Clara HD, go home and order it online from the John Lewis website, and that way you are covered to return it for a refund if you aren't happy with it under the Consumer Contracts Regulations.
If I go all the way to John Lewis to look at the device, can't I ask to actually see the one I'm purchasing in order to check it before leaving, for light bleed etc? This would be better than going to the shop to see if I like the device before coming home to order it online.

I notice that John Lewis online, with an extra 2 years warrantee, is still £10 cheaper than buying it from Amazon uk, who are selling it for £129 (a marketplace seller fulfilled by Amazon).

In the UK, the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 should cover faulty goods without the need of an extended guarantee. So buying it from the shop SHOULD be safe enough.

I just read through the Consumer Contracts Regulations (on a Which page) and they do seem better. Now I'm not sure what to do: take a look at the demo model and, if I like it, buy the Clara from John Lewis (or Amazon, because I'm used to them) or take a look at the demo model, then if I like it, ask to see the device I'm buying in the shop in order to be sure it doesn't have the light bleed problem. That's assuming that the sales assistant would be this obliging in actually opening the box.

Or just order it from John Lewis/Amazon and hope for the best; I can always send it back if I hate it.

Tags
options, warm light