Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
bookEmonster
bookEmonster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Unhappy Help? Endless reboot loop with spinning arrows

I've read all the previous posts and tried all the suggestions to no avail so far. My problem is very similar, but still a bit different, so I'm hoping there's a remote chance someone can work with my situation and help me fix it.

Background:
  • Most recent firmware update was to 1.0.04.12210
  • Yes, I did root it (Android Froyo, 2.2 I think) and added an alternate Home screen
This setup worked well for over a year. It only started freezing on a page within the last 5-6 months, but a hard reset (RESET, then POWER) usually did the trick as a soft reset (POWER off for 3 sec) didn't do anything. A couple weeks ago, when I reset it, it got to the loading screen, showed the spinning arrows and has been in an endless "screen refresh-spinning arrows-frozen arrows" cycle ever since.

Remedies tried so far:
  • Re-charged the battery to full (in case the battery was near dead).
  • Drained the battery. Let it run the endless loop until it died. Left it alone for several days and then re-charged fully. As soon as it had power, it went back to its endless loop.
  • Tried the above several times to see if that would "recycle" the battery or the memory.
  • Factory Reset (method with the Right and Return buttons).
  • Removed the SD card.
  • Wiped the SD card (in case it was a bad epub).
  • Reformatted the SD card (both quick and slow).
  • SD Recovery/SD Rescue method w/ uboot's rescue package for 1.04 firmware.
None of these has worked so far. I still end up with the endless spinning arrows. (I am not going to remove the battery (as suggested elsewhere) as it's soldered to the unit. And I am not going to call Sony because they are useless and won't support this product anymore.)

Now, here's what I do have that appears somewhat promising, and I'm hoping someone might be able to help:
  • I can reboot the device to the "Opening book" screen with the progress bar.
  • When I insert an SD card, there's a little orange light inside the SD slot that blinks once, so it does recognize the card.
  • It can accept a charge. Red light goes on when plugged into computer and charging, and then off when fully charged.
  • When I plug it in, the computer adds 3 new removable drives - I just can't open them (it says "Please insert a disk..").

So this is where I'm stuck. Is there any hope, or do I now own a rather expensive frisbee? Like I said, I tried all of the reset/recovery options I could find on here. I saw something about being able to partition it once you can see the drives on your computer, but I'm not too familiar with how to do that or if that will even help.

At this point, I've saved whatever books I could from the SD card, and I'm okay with going back to the original factory settings. I just want it to work again! Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
bookEmonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, endless loop, prs-t1, spinning arrows