Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2020, 11:35 AM   #76
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Oooh....timely topic for me. Asimov has long been my favorite Sci Fi writer...along with Herbert and OSC.

But, I've been rereading the Foundation Series...and I'm wondering why I ever thought they were so good...let alone...a contender for best ever sci fi series.

So, of COURSE, it matters WHEN a book was written. To Kill A Mockingbird would be a huge hit today just like when it was written. I don't think "The Grapes of Wrath" would be anything special if released today.

But Classics - here comes personal opinion - are about forming a common societal foundation and language. So while I don't think "The Grapes of Wrath" is a particularly well written book, and even it's subject matter has been handled far better by others....it's a classic. Everyone reads it in school...because it's a classic. There is a positive thing to having "some certain body of work" that is identified and acknowledged to be "books everyone should read".

This provides a common language and imagery for a shared society.

And, of course, over time, new books will become "Classics" and be added to the canon of what everyone should read. I don't think Harry Potter ever will meet such a standard. But I do think it will be popular and well love 100 years from now.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:28 PM   #77
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Oooh....timely topic for me. Asimov has long been my favorite Sci Fi writer...along with Herbert and OSC.

But, I've been rereading the Foundation Series...and I'm wondering why I ever thought they were so good...let alone...a contender for best ever sci fi series.

So, of COURSE, it matters WHEN a book was written. To Kill A Mockingbird would be a huge hit today just like when it was written. I don't think "The Grapes of Wrath" would be anything special if released today.

But Classics - here comes personal opinion - are about forming a common societal foundation and language. So while I don't think "The Grapes of Wrath" is a particularly well written book, and even it's subject matter has been handled far better by others....it's a classic. Everyone reads it in school...because it's a classic. There is a positive thing to having "some certain body of work" that is identified and acknowledged to be "books everyone should read".

This provides a common language and imagery for a shared society.
I think you have made a very pertinent point. I still like and enjoy the original Foundation Trilogy which was based on some short stories written circa 1941. These were collected into the Trilogy in 1951-1953.
They had a big impact at the time time because there was nothing like them, so they gained a huge reputation. If they had been written today they would probably be seen as fairly standard and run of the mill.

Their original impact is why they became part of "some certain body of work" that is identified and acknowledged to be "books everyone should read" and call classics. This is confirmed by the fact they are still in print and read todsy.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:03 PM   #78
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
"The Grapes of Wrath"...it's a classic. Everyone reads it in school...because it's a classic.
And that's 0 for 2 - although I was aware of Steinbeck's work, unlike Raisin in the Sun. There really IS no "everyone".
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:20 PM   #79
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
And that's 0 for 2 - although I was aware of Steinbeck's work, unlike Raisin in the Sun. There really IS no "everyone".
Yeah. Everyone in the US, possibly. Not everyone everywhere. While The Grapes of Wrath was translated into Estonian before I was born and I think I may have read it once, long ago, it certainly is not mandatory reading in any school here.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #80
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
KJ Charles is great, although I mainly enjoyed her earlier works --- Think of England is one of my top favorites ever, as is the Magpie trilogy, and I loved her series The Society of Gentlemen. Band Sinister was a fun standalone.

I'd have to see more examples of hard no's. I do read m/m romance obviously so that's not one I consider a hard no --- but it's a very popular genre as I see on GR, so I wouldn't put in a "usually no" category anyway. I can certainly see many not interested in that sub-genre, though
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #81
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah. Everyone in the US, possibly. Not everyone everywhere. While The Grapes of Wrath was translated into Estonian before I was born and I think I may have read it once, long ago, it certainly is not mandatory reading in any school here.
Of course. I fall into "United States mindset" too often. Feel free to replace your own culture's "classic" literature.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:27 AM   #82
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
some people might want to burn me at a stake for that, to actually show what often is meant by the term "classic" I'd like to reach out into computer gaming, plainly because the genere and life cycles are shorter and faster and as such easier to observe (petri dish?)

Baldur's Gate RPG
Command & Conquer RTS
Wolfenstein3D FPS

Classic is either 1st or fundamental in building a genre. A new not reinvented "wheel"
many works thereafter are best case expanding the invention and worst case just regurgitating it.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote